Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Blood Pressure and headaches (Read 4231 times)
Glen

I Love YaBB 2!

mid-west
Blood Pressure and headaches
Dec 30th, 2008, 12:49pm

RLR
This is a question you may not answer but here goes. I have weaned myself off my Loranzepan and had no side effects that I noticed. I'm 4 weeks out and about 7 days ago I started having headache that start in the back of my head at the base and run to the sides and front. I also am having a spike in my blood pressure. In the mornings it is as high as 180/87. I am on 3 blood pressure medicines.  A beta blocker, a channel blocker, and benicare hct. I have had a kidney scan and everything is ok. I have had heart test and they are ok except my heart is thickening slightly because of blood pressure. I am doing everything they ask and I still get these bouts of blood pressure highs. My Dr says it may be due to lack of sleep and stress and put me on a suppliment to help me sleep, it will take 10 days to get in my system. It scares me for my blood pressure to be this high. Do you have any thought on what I can do to help?
My readings vary when high  178/87 to 155/78.
When I'm not having this they range from119/68 to 126/72.
Thanks,
Glenda

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Blood Pressure and headaches
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2008, 5:45pm

Okay, anytime we see a systolic pressure raised well above the diastolic, the cause is virtually always due to stress factors. While the pressure is greater than we'd like to see, it is not of the range that is going to put you at imminent risk of a stroke or heart attack.

Additionally, the pain you are experiencing is musculo-skeletal in origin and blood pressure is not typically associated with pain. While vascular type headaches can cause pain, hypertension does not.

I'd take a deep breath and relax. This is stress hypertension and all you need to do is calm down, take your prescription have your pressure monitored periodically.

Also, if you are taking your own pressure, realize that blood pressure is extremely dynamic in nature and not something that remains the same throughout the day. In order to obtain accurate readings, you must choose a specific time wherein you can remain still and relaxed for about 20 minutes before attempting to take a reading. Each time you check your pressure, you must use this same time and if you attempt to check it repeatedly, it will invariably increase if the readings cause you any stress.

Again, you're not in any danger at this point, so remain calm.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Glen

I Love YaBB 2!

mid-west
Re: Blood Pressure and headaches
Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2009, 6:19pm

Thank you for taking the time to give me that information. How does one learn to control stress. I had felt so much better and that is why I quit taking the loranzapam, and I think I felt better off it, but they seem to think it caused my blood pressure to go up. I have never had head aches and I wonder if that is withdrawal from that med.
Have a wonderful New Year.
Thanks again for all you do.
Glenda

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print