Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Drinking liquids and palpitations (Read 12326 times)
Karen03

I Love YaBB 2!

Drinking liquids and palpitations
Jan 24th, 2009, 8:07pm

Well, my last post just got lost so I'll start over again....

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!  I'm wishing you lots of love, good health and happiness for the new year Smiley
I've been pre-occupied coming off the Effexor, so I haven't been here in awhile.  Yesterday was my last day on the med, let's see how it goes from here on out.
Anyway, my question is regarding palpitations and drinking.  After I come back from a long walk or run, I head straight for the bottle of water.  I'm usually drinking quickly because I'm hot and sweaty.  Anyway, on more then one occassion, as soon I start drinking water I'll get an onset of palpitations.  I'll take several deep breaths and it will go away.
Could you please tell me if there is any connection between drinking after exercising, and on the onset of palpitations (while drinking the water).
Thank you so much!!!
Karen

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Re: Drinking liquids and palpitations
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2009, 1:01am

Yes, there is!
when my cardiologist told me to take up exercise, he told me not to be freaked out by getting palpitations if you suddenly drink cold water after exercise. It doesn't often happen to me but I take it quite easy and take my water at room temperature and try to sip it rather than down it in one!

It's not dangerous! rlr, will be able to explain the mechanics, but it is not unusual at all.
bead x

IP Logged
Karen03

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2009, 10:22am

Beadbabe,

Thank you for your response, that gives me a piece of mind.  I do wonder why that happens? What else I have noticed, is that if I lift my arms above my head (like to put something on a shelf, stretch my arms above my ead), I heart will palpitate. These are two new sensations for me, drinking and palps; as well as raising my arms over my head and getting palps.
I have a feeling they both have to do with the vagus nerve, however; I'm not sure how it relates.
Thanks again for your response.
Hugs,
Karen

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2009, 11:35am

Without doubt, the consumption of liquids can indeed increase the potential for palpitations to occur and does so largely because people tend to practice something known as aerophagia, or the swallowing of copious amounts of air when they consume liquids, particularly from a bottle or similar flask where increased air and negative pressure can be produced and cause air to be inadvertently swallowed along with the liquid.

The subsequent pressure, together with increased peristalsis that is typical with liquid intake, can increase the rate, frequency and persistance of benign palpitations.

Particularly in persons with anxiety disorder, liquids must be consumed from an open glass whenever possible and taken in slowly.

Best regards and Good Health

« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2009, 5:53pm by RLR »  

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Karen03

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2009, 3:34pm

THank you RLR.  THat makes perfect sense.  From now on, I will be drinking out of a glass after exercising.  I will also stop myself from drinking so quicky, I do have a bad habit of doing that.

Hugs,
Karen

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print