Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RLR, I wanted to share some factors that..... (Read 4621 times)
Karen03

I Love YaBB 2!

RLR, I wanted to share some factors that.....
May 26th, 2009, 5:12pm

contribute to my anxiety.

In the past few years, we have watched our best friend die of cancer (he was 34), our very good friend's 6 month old baby died of cancer, my son's best friend's sister died of stomach cancer (she was 17), my son's favorite teacher was killed in a car accident, my son's PE teacher recently lost his youngest son to cancer, he other very good friend's Mom just died of breast cancer, and we just put our 2 yr old dog to sleep after battling cancer.  There have been others, the list just goes on.
My son is terrified, he has nightmares that something will happen to me or my husband.  He's now terribly fearful that he will die of cancer or in a terrible accident.  He wants guarantees, he wants to know that my husband and I will always be here for him.  That we won't die of one of these horribly deaths that he has witnessed throughout his young life (he's now 13).  I already have terrible health anxiety issues (which I do my very best to shield him from), however; when he comes to me with these fears, my anxiety goes through the roof (as do my palps).
He is a straight A student, team captain on three basketball teams, very social and incredibly kind and sensitive, and the fact that he has these fears makes me sick to my stomach.  When I was growing-up, I never thought about death or dying, or anything of the sort.  I never experienced anyone dying until I was in my late 20's.  What he's dealing with is something no child should have to concern themselves with, or have to witness.
Anyway, I just wanted to give you a glimpse into what I've been dealing with over here.  If I sound irrational at times, it's probably because I'm being completely irrational!
Thanks for everything!
Karen

IP Logged
Glen

I Love YaBB 2!

mid-west
Re: RLR, I wanted to share some factors that.....
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2009, 4:04pm

Karen,
My son is 10 and he too has seen lost of death and feels the same way. Mostly grandparents and friends have died. We don't have any family so I can't say it is not a concern for me also but I try not to show it but when he ask I would be lying if I said nothing will ever happen. I just try to asure him that it will all work out. I even asked someone to be his God parent and they said no !! Thought I had a saftey net but no they said they had neices and nephews that needed to come first. Go figure.
Sorry  you are going through this, between the palps, meno, and just life, JOBS OR LACK OF, ect it can be over whelming. Hang in there.

Take care,
Glenda Wink

IP Logged
Karen03

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - May 28th, 2009, 7:50am

It's difficult, isnt it Glenda?  I can't figure out that one, but it's surely their loss!  Is a Godparent the same as a Legal Guardian?

We're in this together, and I hope you're having many, many wonderful days!

Hugs,
Karen

IP Logged
Glen

I Love YaBB 2!

mid-west
Reply #3 - May 28th, 2009, 11:12am

I don't know if a God parent and legal guardian are the same. I just want my son to have someone who will love him. Any ways, I have decided to live to be at least 100 and   I figure he won't need me then !!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin Smiley Smiley Smiley

Thanks for the support and I do understand.
Have a wonderful day and good health to us all.

Glenda

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print