Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Coffee and palpitations (Read 8924 times)
Sheila41

I Love YaBB 2!

Coffee and palpitations
Jul 06th, 2009, 7:56am

Hello everyone - this thought is constantly going through my mind in relation to our heart palpitations.
We are often advised  o give up coffee, chocolate etc. etc.
BUT THE COFFEE WE DRINK (in U.K.) BEING MOSTLY  INSTANT, WITH THE OCCASIONAL REAL THING,  IS SUBSTANTIALLY WEAKER THAN MOST MEDITERRANIAN COUNTRIES.
DO THEY HAVE PALPITATION PROBLEMS THEN ?????  if you think of Turkish coffee - wow!!
Is it not our mild coffee, is it nothing to do with our palpitations at all. I don't know, but it seems strange to think here in the U.K. our coffee whether instant or ground, is almost pathetic by comparison, to either French, Italian, or Turkish.    Any thoughts anyone. Undecided

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Re: Coffee and palpitations
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2009, 11:27am

Hi Sheila
I know what you mean! I used to love strong coffee and even enjoyed occasional espressos. I didn't have palpitations then and it didn't cause them.

BUT, this is an interesting topic. I read this somewhere and I do think it's true. Before giving up coffee or tea especially if you really enjoy them you have to experiment for a few days. Why deprive yourself of something that you really enjoy if giving it up makes no difference anyway...? Caffeine certainly does not cause or bring on the palpitations for most, but it can make them more frequent - but not necessarily for everyone. You can try it out, in fact for some people drinking caffeinated beverages will make no difference to their frequency or onset of palpitations.

For me, caffeine increases the frequency of my palpitations, but though I rarely drink caffeine in any great quantity, it doesn't mean the palpitations are gone. But, I prefer to stay away and have low- or no-caffeine alternatives such as green or white tea, or mint tea, camomile etc. I love all these teas, so for me it's fine - I don't crave or need caffeine.

Same goes for chocolate which also contains caffeine - and I'm def not giving that up - I can't say I have it every day, but there are days when you just got to have chocolate!

Just some thoughts
bead  Cheesy

IP Logged
Sheila41

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2009, 11:59pm

For Beadbase:  Re; Coffee.  I have had palps. after a heavy meal with no coffee. after coffee  with wheat, (see carbohydrates) and for no reason at all - but usually wheat and excercie is involved somwhere.
I think that this "caffine is bad for you, "has grown out of proportion via the media. Hence my very relevant query about  Mediterranian countries. They drink it morning noon and night !  It's rather like saying "salt is bad for you". As the sales adds use this slogan to sell their salt free products.  Being of an older generation I tend to take little heed to these tv adverts fads.  I know that when I don't have a little salt I get terrible leg cramps, and I also know that when I take an electrolyte solution (the chemists said;you do know there is salt in this! as if it were some sort of poison)  I feel much better.
But I am straying from the point;      COFFEE  ANYONE? Huh Huh

IP Logged
Sheila41

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2009, 12:04am

ANY  ANYWAY  I WILL  NEVER GIVE  UP MY DARK CHOCOLATE  FIX FOR ANYONE !!!!!  ESPECIALLY AS WHEAT CAUSES ME SO MUCH GRIEF.

Bye, the way on our news (U.K.) last night, yet another discovery by people in white coats,  suddenly they think that dark chocolate could be a possible cure for Alzeiheimers !!  Well it may or may not be, but it is also a blood thinner, so when you have palps, perhaps it can help there to prevent "possible" clotting. ??  Sheila   41

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2009, 2:40am

I so get what you are saying. The salt thing and caffeine thing are probably scare mongering.

My doctor actually told me not to cut out salt and to ensure I have it in my diet because my BP is on the low side.

So, my thinking is everything in moderation and a little of what you fancy does you good!

Yes, you need some salt in your diet otherwise you will get cramps, especially in the heat. My dad used to be given salt tablets when he worked in the Middle East, presumably because you sweat so much of it out of you, and he was getting terrible cramps every night.

And yes, good strong coffee tastes good - especially Meditterranean coffee or Turkish coffee. It's a just a choice for some - put up with the extra palps it might bring - the palps won't kill you, you just have to decide whether you can be bothered to put up with them - and some days are easier than others to ignore them!

bead  Smiley

IP Logged
Sheila41

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2009, 3:03am

Beadbabe - Somewhere either on this site or another, there was someone who had palps. and was told by her doctor that she was low in salt.  !!!!  wish I could find that post again, or if you are watching, that person,   respond please.     Sheila41

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2009, 4:37pm

Low sodium is actually quite rare and would not establish the premise for benign palpitations of the type being experienced by persons on the forum.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print