Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
starting to worry again......... (Read 7658 times)
rosekay

I Love YaBB 2!

South Wales
starting to worry again.........
Jul 08th, 2009, 11:44am

In Autumn '07 RLR really helped me in a panic about muscle twitches, clonus and also with palpitations.  Have been much better since then, but lately the twitches are bothering me more, and I'm getting an awful lot of tremor-like feelings in my forehead, top of head and top of nose.  These feel like the skin is actually shaking,  but it isn't visible.  I've looked in the mirror!  It is really unpleasant, and I notice it at all sorts of times - as I wake up, go off to sleep, during the day at odd times.  I'm worrying again!  I mentioned it to my doctor and I'm sure he thinks I'm mad - saw the words 'over anxious' on the computer screen.  Please help!
Rosekay

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: starting to worry again.........
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2009, 5:31pm

Well, you've certainly not gone mad.

The twitches are actually muscle spasms and can be quite dramatic at times, particularly when trying to visually focus or concentrate on a task. Even the extraocular muscles can be affected such that trying to focus causes the vision to jump about in certain instances.

Spasms of this type often affect the procerus muscle, which is kind of pyramidal shaped and located between the eyes both above and below to a slight extent. A spasm in this muscle can cause the nose, the eyebrows and even the forehead to jerk about nervously. This is quite common and is merely stress-related. You needn't worry that you have some type of degenerative disease.

You need to try and relax. Massage the muscles of the head, neck and face, apply warm, moist towels. Carefully stretch the muscles and spend about 20 minutes or so rubbing them until the spasms subside.

You'll be just fine. You need to try and determine what the origin of your stress and anxiety is so that efforts can be made to reduce its influence.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
rosekay

I Love YaBB 2!

South Wales
Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2009, 11:31am

Thank you very much for your help.  I hope you won't think I'm too much a pain if I ask - is it not odd that the twitches I feel can't be seen, and also that I notice them as I wake, when you would think I would be totally relaxed?  The area you mention is definitely where the feelings happen, though sometimes they go over the top of my head and occasionally at the back.  Mainly where I mentioned in my original post though.  Thank you so much again, I really appreciate the time you take to help. I did worry about the degenerative thing - MND, mainly because after my first consultation with the neurologist he said all was well and not to worry - then months later at the follow up he said he had wanted to check all was going 'the right way' - which made me think he wasn't being totally honest the first time and that all may not have been well!  Knocked my confidence a bit!  I know I worry too much - but I never 'invent' problems! I think I am afraid basically that a symptom may be of significance, and that if I ignore it, I'll be in trouble later....not sure why, but my worry is genuine.  Anyway!  Thank you again,
Rosekay

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2009, 5:37am

Hi there
Classic anxious thinking - I recognise this one, you are not alone in feeling this, but it is not going to help you thinking like this. It's like having a superstition about your health...

"I am afraid basically that a symptom may be of significance, and that if I ignore it, I'll be in trouble later"

Many of us on here do exactly the above. You know that worrying will  not prevent anything from actually happening. You can worry all you like, but it will not change whether or not a symptom is dangerous.

Best wishes
bead  Wink

IP Logged
rosekay

I Love YaBB 2!

South Wales
Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2009, 12:46pm

Hi!  Thanks for your reply.  I do understand where you're coming from, and it makes perfect sense.....especially when I'm not actually worrying!  It's so difficult when something weird starts to happen and you get something you've never had before - how on earth do you distinguish whether or not it's significant?  I'm really trying with this worry stuff, and I am much better than I used to be - honest!  It's great that we can use this site to talk to people who really understand what it feels like, coz if you haven't experienced it yourself it's sooo hard to understand what it's like.
Best wishes to everyone, whatever their problem xx Kiss

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2009, 5:06am

You'll be okay. I have had all these thoughts, and still do some days, mostly not though. today, inexplicably, I am not doing well, dizzy head which I hate the most, and find this the hardest 'I'm really ill this time' thought to banish.

I know exactly what you're saying, but as like most of us, you have had lots of checks, you are actually a lot safer than many people just walking about oblivious who have had no checks!

Once we get trapped into this kind of worrying about our health, unfortunately I think our brains and bodies worry even if we are not conscious of it. You can get this under control, but it takes a lot of work and a long time. There's no speedy solution.

Take care
bead x

IP Logged
rosekay

I Love YaBB 2!

South Wales
Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2009, 12:05pm

Many thanks, Bead.  I hope your head is behaving itself by now!  And I hope we're not all wearing out RLR in his/her retirement!  So grateful for all the good sensible advice.  RLR told me about the  muscles in the forehead creating spasms - will this affect round the temple areas too, and the back of the head?  I get these pesky twitches there too sometimes.  I guess one muscle will affect another - must be connections between them, I suppose?
Best wishes

Rosekay

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print