Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reality or anxiety...sometimes it's a thin line (Read 7198 times)

CA
Reality or anxiety...sometimes it's a thin line
Aug 03rd, 2009, 11:41am

Hello again moderators...I've been making some good progress with my "benign" heart palps, and they've diminished substantially in the past couple days, however, I've got this one other symptom that I'm wondering about....and attempting to sort out whether I'm making too much of it.

Anyway, about 1 year ago, before I had palp symptoms, I began hearing a swishing in my ear, that coincided with the beat of my heart and course of blood thru my veins. It would last anywhere from about a few minutes to an hour, and come and go throughout the day. These occurrences stayed with me for about 2 or 3 months, at which time I did not hear them again....until recently.

For the past few days I've been noticing them again. During sleep last evening I found myself waking to the noise, and then would wake again later to find it completely gone. I don't have high blood pressure, and never have. When this happened a year ago, I invested in a decent BP meter and found it to be normal every time I tested.

I don't want to sound like a hypochondriac, but I'll describe one other symptom that has been with me for about a month now. It's a dizzyness when I get up from laying down, or when I tip my head over to the right. I've thought it might be BPPV, but the few exercises I found on the net, have not helped. Each rise from a prone position has to be very slow, and I've had to refrain from looking under things or tipping my head over to one side.

Anyway, I thought I'd see if this rings a bell with you RLR.....maybe there's some connection to the swishing and dizzyness? Maybe they are independent? As I've described in my one previous thread, I'm fairly active and youthful in my 55 years of age. Usually do something active every day (when not sitting at my office desk during the weekdays). In fact yesterday I climbed Mt. Tallac in Lake Tahoe.

As I explore the path to eliminating these heart palps, I have been considering the stealth of anxiety thoughts, and see how they can sneak in a, seemingly, "real" problem. This swishing and the dizzyness are not fabrications of my imagination, but I wonder if I'm giving them too much attention via my propensity for anxiety.
Thanks for any comments, support or direction you might convey.
Tony  

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Reality or anxiety...sometimes it's a thin line
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2009, 6:33pm

Okay, the sound you hear is known as pulsatile tinnitus and has nothing whatsoever to do with hypertension. When under stress, the muscles and tendons in the neck become tense and produce a tympanic region between the internal carotid artery and the auditory nerve. The result is the ability to hear blood passing through the carotid and a pulsatory or "swishing" sound. The intensity can change with relative changes in muscular tension. It is entirely benign and again, does not suggest high blood pressure. This is a common misconception by people who are experiencing pulsatile tinnitus and it must be remembered that hypertensive states do not generally produce symptoms. The presence of pulsatile tinnitus is nothing to worry about at all. It is not a sign of disease.

The dizziness is likely due to disturbance of the vestibular complex and commonly occurs in persons suffering from anxiety. If by "exercises" you are referring to the Epley maneuver, this is not something that you can perform yourself. Regardless, it is unlikely that otoliths are responsible for your condition. When patients describe dizziness, it's important to gain clarification. If you are experiencing a sudden and brief tilt sensation to either side or feel light-headed, then dizziness would be the appropriate term. If you sense things spinning around you or alternatively that you are spinning, then this would be a sign of vertigo. Anxiety can induce mild dysregulation in the autonomic nervous system and as a consequence, can reduce vagal tone.

Vagal tone is a rather dynamic process and changes as our body is influenced by gravity or stress. In order for you to stand quickly without passing out due to gravity's effect on the blood circulation, vagal tone must be increased to maintain perfusion or adequate blood pressure to the brain. Common examples of sudden decrease in vagal tone would be soldiers who stand at attention for long periods of time, particularly in the heat, or someone who relaxes in a hot tub for too long, or someone who is suddenly frightened. All these examples can produce sudden shift in vagal tone that causes dizziness and in many cases, syncope or fainting.

As a response to this sudden drop, perfusion to the brain is slightly diminished and the affected individual feels light-headed or dizzy. The heart and cardiovascular system respond by increasing cardiac force, which you experience as pounding heart, as the quickest means to increase perfusion to avoid fainting. It is a normal physiological response and does not suggest the presence of disease.

You'll be fine.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged

CA
Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2009, 8:32pm

That's great RLR. Can't tell you how wonderful it is to get your experienced evaluation of these types of things. Perfect explanation for my "swishing"...pulsatile tinnitus.

I believe that I've got vertigo. I really don't feel light-headed. It's definitely like me or the room is spinning. And, as mentioned only when I tilt my head a certain way, or am getting up from laying down. That last bit can be sort of misdirecting. As per your explanation, one would think it fits more with a vagal tone issue, however, it's a definite spinning. For example, this evening I had to look up and tilt over to the right while fixing a shower curtain rod....quite immediately things were spinning, but as soon as I straightened out it dissipated.

I've had the same thing while bending down to do some cabling of tech gear under a workstation. I don't necessarily associate the vertigo with a particular tilt when getting up from a prone position, but none-the-less, I am forced to rise slowly while keeping my head very erect, and within 10 seconds, I'm fine.

There are a lot of variations of the maneuvers on the net for BPPV, and without any particular guidance, I've been assuming that might be what's happening, but, as mentioned, one of the Epley variations didn't really have any effect. It was the posture of turning the head to the right (or left), then laying down onto my shoulder with the head facing toward the ceiling. After 30 seconds, then moving rapidly to the opposite position on the other shoulder, while facing down into the bed. After 30 more seconds, sit up and have the head tilting down for 30 more. Interesting that you say it's not quite possible to do that without assistance.

Anyway, I've had similar incidents over many years. Probably a once or twice a year, for periods of a week or 2, but this time it's gone on for at least a month right now, and I wondering if there's something I can be doing to help get rid of it.

OK...considerable thanks again.

IP Logged
john arnold
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

london
Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2012, 8:25pm

I'll describe one other symptom that has been with me for about a month now. It's a dizzyness when I get up from laying down, or when I tip my head over to the right. I've thought it might be BPPV, but the few exercises I found on the net, have not helped.

IP Logged

CA
Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2012, 9:42pm

I have had BPPV, and still get it now and then. The Epley maneuver can be tricky to do correctly. I finally found an E,N & T doc that did it to me and totally got rid of it. Actually have not had it return for a long time. Point is, that's probably what you've got. You just have to find someone who can show you the correct way to do the maneuver.

john arnold wrote on Dec 11th, 2012, 8:25pm:
I'll describe one other symptom that has been with me for about a month now. It's a dizzyness when I get up from laying down, or when I tip my head over to the right. I've thought it might be BPPV, but the few exercises I found on the net, have not helped.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print