Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to wean off an ssri? (Read 9283 times)
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
How to wean off an ssri?
Sep 28th, 2009, 8:13am

Hi there
I'm taking the bull by the horns and wearning myself off citalopram. Never wanted it in the first place but have been taking it for 2.5 years now and if it has done its job then I would say that it has done its job for now.

I don't really know how to come off it as I have had conflicting advice and the internet, well, that's full of stories that will scare you senseless about possibilities when you try to come off.

so far, I have cut down from 20mg per day to alternate day does of 20mg/10mg for a week. At some point I should probably go down to 10mg per day but not sure how long I should leave it...

How will I know if I am having clinical anxiety again (ie. everyone has some anxiety - it's normal to have some from time to time, isn't it?) or if it is just withdrawal effects? This is the big problem for me in coming off - no way do I want to go back to the anxiety problem. I just want to be me again - untainted by chemical help!  Wink

does anyone know what kind of time frame I would be looking at for reducing the medication. I'm not in a rush, but just want to do it right. I don't want to end up with symptoms and then be persuaded back onto the citalopram again.

I want to be just me again, without having to be reminded of anxiety by taking a daily medication. I don't want my life to be defined by anxiety - just want to get on with things, deal with these palpitations etc.

bead  Huh

IP Logged
Mike

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: How to wean off an ssri?
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2009, 4:47pm

I took about 3 weeks to ween down on 50mg of Zoloft. Cut the tab in half for about a week and a half and then cut that tab in half for the remainder. I asked my doctor in advance if it was okay and he said it was.

Can't comment on what you take though. Maybe RLR and your Doc could say.

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2009, 1:00am

Hi there. Thanks, Mike. My GP was fairly non-commital about it. Said I could try to come off whenever I felt I wanted to now. But then added that some people have to be on it for the rest of their life, which made me want to cry!

Did you have any 'withdrawal'  symptoms? It's not meant to be withdrawal, as your body is not meant to become addicted to these tablets - but there are nevertheless a lot of horror stories out there from people I know and on the internet...

bead  Wink

IP Logged
Stu M

Keep Smiling :0)

Northants - UK
Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2009, 6:09am

Hi Beadbabe,

I have been on beta blockers and anti depressants in the past, and on all ocasions have just stopped without any weaning off of them.

All times they have always been very low doses and all times I have felt better when stopping them.

I think this is due to the fact I did it when i felt the time was right, I go on the medication rarely to be fair, but when i do its because I feel i need it and it helps in the short term, and when I come off its because I feel its the right time so I think that positivity helps with functioning without it.

I dont know if that helps in any way at all.

Stu

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2009, 6:26am

Hi Stu
thanks, yes, I think that does help what you say! I think I'm getting a bee in my bonnet about something that may never happen.

bead  Wink

IP Logged
Stu M

Keep Smiling :0)

Northants - UK
Reply #5 - Sep 29th, 2009, 6:45am

Hi Beadbabe

Im no doctor, I think thats obvious, but my thinking is as long as you doctor says its ok for you to come off them in one go and you feel confident, then give it a go.  If its small doses I beleive you can use them as and when, so to speak.

Stu

IP Logged
Mike

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Sep 29th, 2009, 9:29am

No Bead I did not have any withdraw symptoms. I felt a little funky coming off them for maybe a couple of days, but it wasn't anything severe. It felt more like my brain was trying to adjust.

IP Logged
toto

Scotland
Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2009, 10:47pm

Hi Bead,
I stopped taking citalopram 10mg about 2 years ago as I didn't feel any different when I'd been taking them at all. After a bit of research I decided to just stop them. It took about a week for the effects to subside. I felt dizzy and I got these things called 'head shocks' which is a wierd feeling associated with dizziness. I always swore if I had to do it again I'd have done it the slow way! Maybe take one every other day for a week or half a day for a week but do it gradually over a few weeks.Start missing doses out and just gradually cut them out.
I got a lot of info off the website 'No More Panic'. It has a lot of info about withdrawal off SSRIs. My understanding of withdrawal is to change your dosage on a weekly basis.

Having said all that, there is something to be said for getting it out of the way quickly but it wasn't easy when I was having to go to work and move house at the same time. My sister had to come and pack up my kitchen because I felt so dizzy! but I did still function a t some level.

I'm glad I'm off them. I'm not convinced they did anything at all in terms of my anxiety level. Having a good laugh with my friends was much better therapy!
Good luck.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print