HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clonazepam ?? (Read 5794 times)
daybyday

I Love YaBB 2!

Clonazepam ??
Apr 07th, 2010, 11:53am

Has anyone used Clonazepam for heart skips and racing, GAD anxiety.  
Been on it for 8 months now.
I will write more of my struggles if anyone has tried and can share their experience with this med.  

IP Logged
nursey4
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Clonazepam ??
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2010, 10:34pm

Hi there,
I have been on Clonazepam (aka Klonopin) daily for 5 years now. I know  people will say you are only supposed to take it short term but for me, it allows me to live a somewhat normal life. I used to take 0.5 mg/day but now I take 0.75 twice a day. It definitely loses its potency after a while!
Has it worked well for you?

IP Logged
daybyday

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2010, 9:46am

Hi Nursey4  So glad someone had a reply on the Clonazepam.
Through a psych. I started 8 months ago with 0.375mg a day.  I felt much better and thought I could taper down just a bit to 0.25mg a day.  But it doesn't seem quite enough.  The psych. said to find the amount to fit for me as she knows I won't abuse it.   I may go back up to the 0.375mg a day.   She said the low dose will not harm me, and to focus on resolving my worry thoughts.
I chose Clonazepam ( per a psych. nurse friend ) It has little side effects for me, and to slow my racing heart.  Paxil and Atenelol made me feel terrible and emotionally numb.
I notice most people as yourself do take more.   So maybe I'm not even taking a therapuetic dose amount.
I have had GAD since a child and it comes in intense bouts every few years.  I am working on my thought life and hope to be free once and for all.
Why did you choose the Clonazepam?  over anything else?  Do you take it once a day or twice?

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2010, 5:19am

Okay, this thread seems to have self-resolved but I will simply state here that in all instances of the type of therapeutic agents or drugs being mentioned here, they should be considered strictly for short-term use with an outside range of about 12 weeks or so.

It is always important to combine the use of these drugs with professional counseling to determine whether and to what extent psychological factors play a role in the presence and intensity of the anxiety. Many people resist this type of co-therapy for many reasons, the most common of which is the discomfort associated with seeing such a professional, as well as exposing factors which produce the anxiety condition.

Problems always arise, however, because the nature and intensity of the anxiety fluctuate and patients continually either seek a change in dosing or complain that the drug no longer has effect, or even that the drug is not having any type of effect initially. It must be remembered that no amount of medication can overcome certain circumstances and patients can sometimes wind up additionally reducing their overall quality of life due to the dramatic effects of the medication alone in large doses.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print