Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Beta blockers - can you adjust to them? (Read 3134 times)
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Beta blockers - can you adjust to them?
Apr 20th, 2010, 3:33am

Hi all,

So after seeing a cardiologist about my rapid pulse (90-100 resting) and getting the all clear heart wise (had an echo+24hr tape), both him and my GP think my heart rate is mostly the result of anxiety. I managed to persuade my GP to prescribe me some beta blockers to get my heart rate down to normal. I started out on 1.25mg Bisoprolol (lowest dose) for a few weeks but I found this did little in the way of slowing my heart, so my GP upped the dose to 5mg.

My blood pressure is lowered and sometimes I feel a little dizzy but the actual rate is not really changing. It did in the beginning when I first started taking 1.25mg but now I'm finding that it's having little effect on heart rate. I take half the tablet in the morning and half in the evening because I find the tablets don't last 24 hours and I start to feel my heart beating again after about 12 hours.

Can you adjust to these? Also, is there anything you can take to slow your heart rate without lowering blood pressure?

George.

Crohn's disease (active terminal ileitis) - diagnosed 2007. Taking: Imodium 2mg x 2 daily. 25 years old (updated 10-June-2013).
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login
  IP Logged
pitterpat
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Beta blockers - can you adjust to them?
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2010, 5:00am

Hi
I have heard that herbal remedies Hawthorne and also Mistletoe can reduce heart rate and the incidence of ectopics. I haven't tried it myself so. Maybe worth Googling though.
Good luck
x

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2010, 11:29am

I took atenalol years ago for high BP which turned out to be renal artery stenosis and once they cleared that, I did not need them. But when I took them, they made me a bit dizzy at first.

I was given Bisoprolol but it made me wheeze even though years ago I did have a beta blocker.

Propanolo is supposed to be the best one for anxiety speedy heart rate. Could your GP change it. Bisoprolol is a very new drug that is supposed to target the heart without the usual side effects but I have heard people say it makes their bp a bit low.

Talk to your GP...and remember, it does take a while to adjust to beta blockers. If I could take propanalol for my ectopics, I would

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2010, 7:18am

When you say "adjust" I presume you refer to a potential tolerence effect. Realize that what you initially experienced was a placebo effect and not the efficacy of a drug now being imposed upon by a tolerence effect, the nature of which takes far longer and only in cases of certain drugs and other relevant factors.

It's important to understand that the ability of the sympathetic nervous system to overcome the pharmacokinetic effects of medications of this type is quite high. You seem to be pre-occupied with your resting heart rate and I'm constrained to point out here that you've unwittingly established it as pathological despite the fact that it exists as clinically normal under the circumstances. Even uncomplicated sinus tachycardia is defined as a rate in excess of 100.

I would agree with the assessment by your doctors that the rate is being driven to the stated levels purely by your anxiety and constant vigilence to the perception that it is not what you deem within your comfort zone or abnormal by comparison to what you otherwise know to be normal for you. You have to realize that you're placing kindling under the fire you're desirous of extinguishing.

My suggestion would be to avoid trying to resolve what you believe to be a problem by invoking what you believe to be the proper solution.

If I were your doctor, I would not provide you with a therapeutic agent to produce a heart rate that you find more appropriate, which most always leads to undesirable consequences, ie hypotension in this case.

The question you need to ask is whether you're right in this regard and whether the medical community should simply respond in a likewise manner, or whether another causal factor is to blame for the elevated heart rate and that a more appropriate course of action, although undesirable, is necessary to restore normalcy.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print