Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AF and what exactly is it (Read 6281 times)
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
AF and what exactly is it
Apr 22nd, 2010, 5:24am

Well at last went to see a cardiologist. he has ordered an echo and blood tests but, looking at my 24 hour monitor, he was thinking it is due to stress and anxiety. What the monitor did not capture is those fluttery ones where the heart goes so rapidly and then it stops and restarts...God I hate that. The cardio said that this was small bouts of AF...I had no idea it was that, or even what that is.

He was a lovely man and explained that if I learn some breathing techniques and learn to relax, the ectopics will calm down. Just to check the AF he has ordered an echo. Now because he called it that, I am now anxious to think I have had bouts of that. Does anyone else get those long flutters and could they just go on and kill a person?

The thing I just cannot remember is this. I had given up smoking for a few years and re-started last year. Anyway, I tried to give up using patches. I had a few fluttery heart thingy's years ago and am not sure if I was wearing patches then. Anyway, I had 25mg patches this time, really high...but in the end, with a bad cough, I gave up cold turkey.

I wish could remember if i had patches on when I had the bad AF. On saying that, I think I had a small flutter last week though, and I have not smoked since 13th December

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
pitterpat
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: AF and what exactly is it
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2010, 10:28am

Hi
I have experienced those long flutters and went into fast AF twice and had to go to A&E to be returned to sinus rhythm. I am assured that AF is not life threatening and does not cause any permanent damage. However it is very scary when I get the 'flutters' as sometimes they do go on and on and I need to call the paramedics. I don't know how long they would last without treatment and am too scared to wait it out and see.
I had a normal echo too.
good luck

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2010, 12:06pm

Really, the thought of it continuing and me having to go to A and E is so, so frightening.

WWW   IP Logged
scaredycat

I Love YaBB 2!

South Wales, UK
Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2010, 2:48pm

RLR commented on one of my posts and said it was impossible for benign palps to turn into AF so now im really confused as pitterpat just said hers turned into AF???

Tracey xx
  IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2010, 3:28pm

I think it may have been this post:

http://palps.chemicalforums.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1241966256/2#2

I described the fluttery ones with the long pause and then the thud and dizzyness and the doctor said..sounds like you had AF.

A couple of times I have dropped off to sleep on the sofa and have another type which is a very rapid heartbeat as I get up to go to bed, but it seems to settle after a few minutes. Of course reading other [peoples posts both on here and NMP that they ended up in hospital having to have the rhythm reset has put me into complete and utter panic. I am shaking with fear about it. What is happening to me?

WWW   IP Logged
pitterpat
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2010, 4:28am

Hi Scaredycat
I'm so sorry to have worried you. I think that the AF is totally different from the palps and they certainly dont feel the same. I have not noticed any connection between the palps and the AF. AF usually resolves by itself it's just that I'm too scared to wait for that

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2010, 4:46am

The nearest thing to that for me has happened when I have fallen asleep on the sofa, and get up all sleepy to go to bed, and/or use the loo and my heart beats really hard and fast, but stops if I sit for a moment.

I always thought of this as the same thing as all the rest, just the nervous system.  I have read two posts talking about having to go to a & e to have the rhythm resolved and this then frightened me. That is, that the episodes I have wont stop like with you and the other person who said she has episodes of SVT.

I hope and pray RLR can find the time to explain or advise us all what actually happens.

I thought my visit to the cardio would ease my fears...he was in fact the registrar, not the actual cardiologist.

WWW   IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2010, 7:28am

Well, I would disagree that the disturbances constituted "bouts of AF."

As for the "patches" you need to be aware that smoking cessation induces neurochemistry changes that you're body is trying to establish to be more in line with pre-smoking levels. Nicotine is extremely addictive and it also exists as a natural neurotransmitter in similar form, so you need to be aware of the specific factors which induce difficulty in cravings and inability to cease smoking. The most critical point here is that these changes can provoke changes to your central nervous system and palpitations are quite common among symptoms experienced by persons undergoing cessation therapy.

It's also important to realize that smoking provides an anxiolyitic effect and is another major reason that these people smoke. When you reduce that effect, the temporary anxiety which accompanies the process will often break the efforts to stop smoking.

Palpitations of the type being experienced can arise in many forms, yet they all constitute the same influence by the vagus nerve. It is not noteworthy to try and establish a clinical variation to each since none represent pathology of any type.

Lastly, you are in no danger and palpitations of the type you are experiencing are entirely incapable of inducing any type of cardiac event. It will never happen.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #8 - Apr 25th, 2010, 9:39am

Thank you. I had no idea that cessation from smoking could have that effect.

I did have the palpitations long before however but it could be that things have been made worse. I gave up just over 4 months ago, and many of the withdrawal symptoms have stopped.

Thank you also for your reassurance. I only get the fluttery ones about twice a week, sometimes only once and the worst part is that pause. Once it seemed so long I thought it would never restart.

Oh to be free of these

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print