Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Muscle twitches / Palpitations - all related? RLR? (Read 9679 times)
jason

Muscle twitches / Palpitations - all related? RLR?
May 10th, 2010, 12:40am

As well as the palpitataions my other main symptom is twitching in my calves A LOT (I can cramp them real easy just by tensing them). I've had this for a very long time, it generally goes throughout the day, but comes back in bed and in the mornings.

I figured it was probably a deficiency in Magnesium or calcium or potassium. But taking 1 or all of those supplements over the year has really not helped at all.

Could there possibly be a relationship between the twitches / cramp / palpitations and stress / anxiety if so anyone know why it causes the twitches and what I can do about them?

Appreciate any help.  Smiley

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2010, 1:04am by jason »  
  IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Re: Muscle twitches / Palpitations - all related???
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2010, 10:10am

Hi,

I have also thought this aswell and the reason is that my symptoms seemed to show up all at once. I get a lot of muscle twitching and it is VERY annoying. For about 3-4 weeks I've had a twitch in one of my right quadricep muscles (left muscle closest to knee). It twitches all day, on and off and I think it might have something to do with tension. When your muscles are tense I think it also puts a little tension on your nerves and they can become compressed or trapped, or something. I also get twitching in my arms and calves, and get a lot of cramping in my feet and calves, too, which also requires very little tensing to induce.

Crohn's disease (active terminal ileitis) - diagnosed 2007. Taking: Imodium 2mg x 2 daily. 25 years old (updated 10-June-2013).
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login
  IP Logged
Kalah

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2010, 6:20pm

I've gotten twitches along with the palps before too. Eating a banana a day when that happened seemed to help for me. Maybe it was a slight potassium deficiency or maybe not... hard to tell such things without blood tests... but a banana a day certainly didn't hurt and it probably helped just to have the positive thought that there was something I could do about it. Smiley

Either way it's easy and worth a try...

IP Logged
jason

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2010, 12:42am

Very interesting.

I eat 1 - 2 bananas every day with no benefit at all, so prob my Potassium is fine, might be something else out of whack though?

Anyone else?

RLR - any ideas?

IP Logged
jason

Re: Muscle twitches / Palpitations - all related? RLR?
Reply #4 - May 16th, 2010, 1:48am

Hi RLR, did you have any thoughts on the above?

Thanks

Jason

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Muscle twitches / Palpitations - all related? RLR?
Reply #5 - May 16th, 2010, 6:07pm

Okay, it is extremely rare to have a potassium or calcium deficiency except in the presence of certain pre-existing disorders. Muscle twitches are extremely common in persons with anxiety disorder and known as myokymia. It is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Taking supplements will not reduce the phenomenon and it is more beneficial to stretch and exercise than to try and find a pill to make it go away.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print