Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Skipped Beats When Laying On Left Side (Read 43630 times)
airstar102
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Skipped Beats When Laying On Left Side
Jun 03rd, 2010, 6:18pm

I'm a 34 y/o male.  6'0, 195lbs and in overall good health.  I've noticed over the past 6 months, or so, that when I lay down on my left side, my heart skips a beat every 10-20 seconds and I feel the flutter sensation in my chest.  Of course, after I feel the first one, I immediately take a radial pulse and can easily feel the skipped beat.  Like most of you, I initially started to feel panicky when it happened, but because of your posts and those of RLR, I've been able to push the panic down and not be too worried about the condition.  I have to wonder though, why this happens.  I do not have the same sensation or skipped beat(s) when laying flat on my back, my right side, or my stomach, nor do I experience this when standing, walking, exercising, etc.  Only when laying down on my left side.  It doesn't matter if I've eaten recently or not.  It always happens when I'm laying on my left side.  No chest pain, no difficulty breathing, etc.  What's this all about?

IP Logged
MOLLY35

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Skipped Beats When Laying On Left Side
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2010, 10:49am

hI THERE i also get the ectopics when i lie on my left side,not sure why this happens . .Its happened to me for years most times i have to change positions to stop them .try not to worry although i know thats easier said than done kind regards molly

IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2010, 1:19pm

When I first realised I was getting skipped heart beats, it was when I was lying on my left side.  A lot of people say it's just because you 'feel' them more when you lie down, but I know from experience that is not true in all cases. I definitely used to get them almost exclusively when lying on my left side. I don't know the answer, just that there is something about lying in certain positions and on certain sides that can cause them.

I've also noticed them in other positions, too and when performing various moves such as bending, standing, etc..

I think RLR has said in the past that almost all skipped beats, extra beats and palpitations are are caused by extra-cardiac events. Stimulation to the vagus nerve, I think, but RLR will have to tell you that as I am not sure. Regardless, one thing I do know is that in an otherwise healthy heart, they can do you no harm.

Crohn's disease (active terminal ileitis) - diagnosed 2007. Taking: Imodium 2mg x 2 daily. 25 years old (updated 10-June-2013).
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login
  IP Logged
daybyday

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2010, 8:29pm

Sometimes I get the skips on my left side too, but not always.

IP Logged
emma09

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2010, 1:07am

i get them when laying on my left too

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2010, 2:57pm

Okay, realize that forces of gravity play various roles in this instance and when you lay on your left side, the stomach, left lobars of the lung along with heart tend to all be more compressed than if you lie on your right side. This is naturally due to anatomical architecture.

The right vagus nerve extends upward through this region as well and it's not uncommon whatsoever for inappropriate stimulation of the nerve to occur, resulting in a palpitation sequence.

Nothing here to worry about at all.  

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
airstar102
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2010, 11:22am

thank you guys, & RLR for your posts.  That makes me feel a lot better!

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2010, 11:41am

Now its been explained that the right vagus nerve extends upward through this region, it makes more sense.

Would this account for it happening sometimes with all of these in relation to my left side

When I carry heavy shopping on my left arm

When I sit with my left hand on my chin and my left elbow resting on the sofa

and today

when I extended my left arm forward and leaned with my hand against a wall which contorted the muscle around the breast area.

If one were to recover, as I know some have, would even this disappear?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
Kalah

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2010, 10:28am

For me it hasn't disappeared but it has lessened dramatically. I still get them sometimes when I lie on my left side though. Smiley

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2010, 5:53am

Lessened would do me just fine Smiley

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
edwardthebear
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

UK
Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2010, 3:40pm

I have certainly become very aware of how much an impact increased left sided pressure can have upon the incidence of missed beats. I work in mail delivery (well I suppose someone has to do it !) Being right handed I carry my mail bags on my right shoulder there is therefore a natural tendency for the axis of my body to be straining over towards the left hand side to counteract the weight of the heavy bags - it is not great for ones posture despite anything else. Since starting this job almost four years ago I have found that I am experiencing a lot more episodes of ectopics than before so this left sided compression certainly seems to be playing its role - time to start looking for a new job I think !

IP Logged
craigie1
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #11 - Feb 13th, 2012, 7:14am

I am a male late 40s and have had this problem since I caught a bad flu in my 30's If I lay on my left side my palpatations start until i move my upper body. Occassionaly stretching and laying on my right side causes it.

I had a theory put to me by a doctor which makes sense. I had pericarditis because this flu and it has casued a bit iof scar tissue and when anything in the rib cage area touches it by laying on the side etc it irritates it. Other than that Ive learned to live with it although its annoying.

It gets worse when Im about to go down with a cold or an infedction of some kind.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print