Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New B12 Brand - RLR (Read 8177 times)
jothenurse
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

New B12 Brand - RLR
Jun 07th, 2010, 4:16am

I have been taking Vitamin B12 since last July for pernicous anemia. I do have a med phobia (I have a panic disorder) and just recently the brand of B-12 I take I can't get, so I had to switch to a different brand. I was taking Origin B-12 500 mcg, and now have Major B-12 500 mcg. They seem very similar with the ingredients. The only real difference I see is that Origin lists dicalcium phoshate under other ingredients and the new brand I have lists it under amount per tablet as dicalcium phoshate 43 mg (4%). Otherwise, except for the Origin having cellulose listed under other and the Major doesn't, they both have mannitol, croscarmellose, vegetable stearic acid, silica, vegetable magnesium stearate. So, the biggest difference is the dicalcium phosphate. I had a little upset stomach yesterday, and now today so I of course contributed it to the different brand of Vitamin B12 - thought I do get gaggy and have IBS and I get that way also from my anxiety. Is it ok to switch to this brand?  Now I'm panicky about taking it and I can feel my pulse going up.

IP Logged
jothenurse
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: New B12 Brand - RLR
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2010, 5:28am

I also have had bad IBS this morning - which I get from time to time, but of course think it's the new B12.

IP Logged
daybyday

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2010, 1:49pm

I take a b12 but use sublingual methylcobalamin,  Not cyanocobalamin form.
Maybe that the extra ingredients that you are sensitive too.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2010, 5:52pm

The brand of B12 has nothing to do with your GI upset. This is known as cause-and-effect thinking and it's the cogntive staple of persons with anxiety. In other words, people with anxiety are very quick to draw a relationship between to events if they occur within a reasonably close temporal context. Persons with IBS have a constant problem in that they eat a particular food and coincidentally experience an IBS flare-up. Subsequently, they now perceive this food product to be a "trigger" for their IBS and begin making rolling lists of food allergies which in actuality, never existed. This type of thinking is highly resistent to insight as well, with patients becoming stubbornly convinced because they steadfastly make the connection in their own mind and believe it to be factual.

I'd ask what your present B12 levels are? If you've actually been diagnosed with pernicious anemia, then you can consume all the B12 you can choke down and it won't resolve the problem. This type of anemia is the consequence of impaired GI absorption, so how would you expect for lingual B12 supplements to be effective in the absence of the known cause and its resolution?

Most pernicious anemia is observed in the elderly mainly because stomach acidity is reduced as aging progresses. Dietary indifference compounds the problem as well. Diminished acid formation in turn reduces intrinsic factor within the acid necessary for B12 to be absorbed. It is also a common occurrence among persons who have been on long-term proton pump inhibitor therapy, but not too frequent.

Pernicious anemia is treated by MI B12 so that it is directly absorbed into the bloodstream. As you'll recall from your A&P during your training, excess B12 is stored in the liver. Any type of anemia treatment needs to be accompanied by tests to determine levels every 90 days, with the first evaluation about 3 weeks following first replenishment to determine if resolution has occurred and being maintained.

So the brand is not the question here, but rather specifically what the origin of the deficiency was and if it was resolved, what the present B12 levels constitute? Consuming B12 in the absence of these factors is pointless because any excess above normal levels is not metabolized but merely stored and secondly, impaired absorption would not permit restoration via oral route.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
jothenurse
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2010, 4:20am

My level last July was 183 (normal 180-914).  My doctor told me to start taking 500mcg of vitamin B12, which I did.  It came back up fairly fast.  In January my level was 489.  I'm not sure what caused the low one - I was under a lot of stress (and then in November of last year started with the panic disorder).  Do I still need to take this?
Also - my vitamin D level is low (35 with 30 and above being normal) - and I'm supposed to be taking 1000 IU of Vitamin D3 each day, but with the panic disorder and sometimes being gaggy with that and I do think the Vitamin D gives me an upset stomach sometimes, I haven't been taking it.  I have osteopenia (I am 56 - going through menopause).  My potassium level goes up and down, one time as low as 2.8 and the last time after supplementation (which I am not on now) it was 4.5.  They think that may have had something to do with my IBS.  So, they do keep an eye on that.  I have been checked for celiac sprue, which was negative.

IP Logged
daybyday

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2010, 2:08pm

My b12 level was 239 with a range of 200-900 by that lab.  
The dr. said no problem.   The rest of the blood work was 'stellar' his words.   No shots, just take a vitamin if I want.
Maybe he felt the high anxiety put a pull on my b12 levels.  I didn't have fatigue symptoms.

So I chose to take the sublingual b12 absorbed under the tongue right to the bloodstream.  

RLR.   do you think 239 is low.   I have no other health problems.   I am female 54 and post menopause from age 45 naturally.
Why do labs have different ranges, and why is the range so big.    If I look at 180-900, my 239 doesn't seem to bad.  Huh

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2010, 3:11pm

Again, the problem here is the diagnosis. If you're diagnosed with pernicious anemia and your levels are subsequently restored through oral B12 administration, then you did not have pernicious anemia, otherwise within the classification of a macrocytic anemia. Pernicious anemia is the result of dminished intrinsic factor in acid of of the parietal cells necessary to absorb B12 later at the terminal ileum. This problem cannot be remedied by oral B12 administration. While malabsorption can occur via many causes, pernicious anemia is the most common.

If your levels have indeed been restored using oral B12 therapy, then you did not have pernicious anemia, but rather more likely a microcytic anemia, the most common being iron-deficiency anemia. This type of anemia can indeed be corrected via oral B12 administration.

In the absence of absorption difficulties, any marketed brand of B12 should be readily absorbed with the excess being stored in the liver.

With a level of 489, the choice is yours whether to continue therapy because B12 is used by the body at a fairly slow rate. It's simply important to follow a healthy dietary plan that includes natural sources of B12. The supplement won't necessarily hurt you, but if levels are sufficient, then it's really nothing more than a waste of money.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
jothenurse
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2010, 3:55pm

Thank you so much for your reply.  I received a call from the NP today stating that taking the B12 was optional.  I am surprised that the original MD stated that I would have to take it for life.  
I wonder why my levels got so low, along with the Vitamin D, and the up's and down's of the potassium?  At that time I was eating well and exercising.  Can IBS do this or stress?

IP Logged
jothenurse
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2010, 4:19pm

Just so you know, my Hemoglobin, RBC, and hematocrit were all normal.

IP Logged
jothenurse
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2010, 4:20am

The above were all normal when the B12 was low.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print