Send Topic Print
It goes on (Read 5577 times)
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
It goes on
Jun 07th, 2010, 6:17am

I feel a bit of a failure when after a few weeks of feeling lots better (though not without palps) I relapse into a state of panic and anxiety.

I get this sense of false hope because the palps ease off to a few thuds every hour or so, then like today and the past few days, they are those ones that feel as though your heart just turned right over and then flopped back into place. I feel a sudden shortness of breath and extremely dizzy. This has now given me agoraphobia.

I did start to venture out...just to the shops but then the other day, I had a major bad turn in the supermarket to the point where I feared collapse. I went so hot all over and the sweat began to drip off of me. I began to panic, I guess making things worse. This awful fear that I will collapse in public.

Some days I feel my life has now stopped and been ruined. I no longer meet friends for coffee, no longer go to the theatre or any of the things I once enjoyed. This leaves me stuck in and I am not happy in other parts of my life, so I feel this is all I have left; the not so happy parts

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
Kalah

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: It goes on
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2010, 10:46am

That is so classic panic disorder, I've been through all of that short of the agoraphobia, but only because I was able to stop it from getting that far. If it gets to the point of ruining your life, then therapy is definitely advisable, this is something that can be helped! Don't be ashamed, as I've said before it's not a weakness in you but an aspect of yourself that just needs to be understood and dealt with.

Be well and God bless!

IP Logged
sarah
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2010, 12:22pm

Hi Typer.

This is exactly the same as what I get ever since I had my first panic attack last april I havent been in a supermarket since I have had my grocery shopping delivered.

I get the same eyes rolling in head, sweating, flushed cheeks, feeling sick etc etc.....its normal anxiety and panic episodes.

try this website www.nomorepanic.co.uk they have so much valuable information.

I hope this helps rest assured that you are not alone with this horrible problem but it will get better just to let you know there are 7 million people in the united kingdom with this illness so you are definatley not alone.

Best wishes Sarah x

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2010, 5:56am

Thanks for your replies. Sarah thank you. I am a member and agree its a helpful place/forum.

I guess I never thought I would ever suffer from panic.  am 60 years old and have never been anxious until now. I think 4 years of stress has taken its toll. Looking at RLR's answer to vagal tone questions, I guess I know I have to work on the stress and the cause

WWW   IP Logged
edwardthebear
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

UK
Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2010, 9:31am

I think you are being over harsh upon yourself at times, you are certainly not a failure - it is understandable that everyone who suffers from these things gets fed up on occasions. I know from my own experience that I have experienced all sorts of frustration and anger emotions about ectopics, I suppose if the principle of hating them with such intensity would make them go away then there might be some sense to it, but all that seems to happen is that anger feeds the anxiety even more and makes them worse.
I have felt dizzy too after a run of missed beats, I think it is quite a common phenomenon. I know RLR explained something along the lines that variations in blood pressure take place in the aftermath of ectopic  beats and this can result in the sensation of dizziness.
Could you not attempt to meet with friends at a venue near to your home and take things at a gradual pace until your confidence builds up again ?  
Oh for what it is worth, I hate supermarkets too, but I think that is partly a man thing !
Best wishes

IP Logged
sarah
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2010, 8:48am

Hi Typer and Edward

Nice to speak to you both.

I get really angry with myself regarding the palpatations and the anxiety, I have only had it for a year but it runs in my family my father had anxiety for 28 years and was on valium for it for the whole time.

He also had panic attacks too, he came off the valium cold turkey, which I know was a silly thing to do as it can be very dangerous but I was only about four at the time so I wouldnt have know any the wiser.

My sister had the same also she, had panic and health anxiety for about 2 years or so, this was after she had her children close together like I have had three children they are 6, 4 and 2 and it takes it toll especially when your spouse it out all of the time.

I try and put it to the back of my mind now and I actually allow myself time to relax when the children are in bed I have a glass of wine and watch something interesting.

Another thing that I can recommend is  a book called self help for your nerves by Dr Claire Weeks she encourages you to float through your anxiety especially when you are in the supermarket situation she tells you to float in the door around the isles and back out as if you are sitting on a cloud.

I hope you are having a good day today and that things are starting to look up for you.

If you ever need to chat you can send me a message and I will get back to you.

Speak to you soon take care Sarah x

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2010, 10:55am

Sarah, I have that book and read it every night before sleep. It sure does bring some satisfaction. I often read some of RLR's stuff that I printed off too.

Strangely at night I find them less bothersome and less scary...maybe because I am already lying down so the fear of falling down is gone.

I am trying not to feel angry with myself as I know I cant help what I feel, I can try and block what I feel, but as Claire Weeks points out, sometimes its best to let the thoughts and sensations come and let them be whatever they are and just try to relax into them.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print