Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stress / potions and palps RLR/Everyone - opinions (Read 12998 times)
jason

Stress / potions and palps RLR/Everyone - opinions
Jun 17th, 2010, 1:14am

Been continuing my daily exercises and feeling a bit better, palps reduced quite a bit, but poor afternoon yesterday/night + this morning with palps back frequent. So feeling a bit down + negatively questioning myself, for the few days before I was feeling great, so why the sudden downturn and palp increases again?

It makes me question myself, and the causes of palpitations, is it definately 100% caused by anx alone?

I know GERD and gas can be a cause, but I dont get much acid feeling and not really much gas, no more than I would think was normal, for me anyways, but could these still be an issue for me even if I dont feel them?

As most of you would also have researched over the weeks months and years that you have had palps etc there seems to be  a very good case for low Magnesium being a common cause of heart palpitations, the lady in the link below is an MD / ND, bear in mind that just about everyone now says that a standard blood test is not an accurate test for magnesium levels as such a low level is actually in the blood, also with depleted soil, also a given, can we really ever get enough through diet alone?

Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login

But when you look there are also claims (not as scientific, usually as the link above) which for palpitations also being possibly caused by low Potassium, Calcium, Sodium.

Then there are claims that peppermint oil tablets should work, L-Taurine tablets should work etc.

Also lots of research on EPA (fish oils) although some forms can make them worse probably due to acid indigestion, so enteric coated prob the best bet.

Could / have these things ever really helped anyone above the placebo effect???

Interested to hear anyones opinions.

Also although we are assured that these palpitations are benign and can't actually cause us any harm at all, the feelings of anxiety that comes with them must surely be detrimental to our health, we all know that stress is real bad for us long term, right?

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Re: Stress / potions and palps RLR/Everyone - opinions
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2010, 11:25am

Low calcium can cause palps and I am still awaiting results from my calcium tests but think they are going to be okay.

I think what the magnesium may help with is nerves/anxiety and in turn that may help the palps.

There is a person who swears by Taurine (which I think has magnesium) and says as soon as he took this, his palps ceased.

I think if you can feel better in yourself, if any of us can, the palps may go.

I have good days and then bad days. But the bad days are getting less and less. Its two forward and one back...the nerves wont heal overnight, but, slowly they will. Keep exercising and doing what your doing

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
jason

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2010, 2:33am

Thanks for posting Typer,

I heard that about Taurine, so tried some myself a little while ago, they REALLY put me on edge, and knocked up my anxiety by a level or 2 so I came off of them - guess they were not for me.

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2010, 2:48am

I am wondering whether to try the magnesium oil as well. I understand the oil spray is better than the tablet form because of it not affecting the stomach.

I was hoping it would help with the anxiety I seem to experience with these things

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
jason

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2010, 5:34am

I suffered with IBS last year so Magnesium had a bad effect on me causing me loose stools all the time no matter how small a dosage I took. I tried the oil spray and yes it doesnt effect the stomach, but I found it itched all the time and was a pain as you had to wash it off after 1/2 hr or so (it's absorbed by then) because of the itch. You need a lot o fsprays too.

I have now found through countless trial and Error that Magnesium chelate (solgar) does not affect my stomach at all, so I will let you know how it goes. Also Magnesium Taurate is supposed to be very easy on the stomach too and good for the nerves / heart so might be worth a try 1st.

All this is just my thoughts - nothing more, could all be wrong but I will give it a try now I have bought them  Wink

IP Logged
Stav98

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2010, 11:35am

Has your GP sent you for an ECG and blood tests?  Maybe give them a call and request they complete these for your piece of mind.  I had my ECG on Wednesday and it was clear; bloods taken yesterday.  I'm back next Friday for all the results.

My GP sent me for mine (sort of at my request) when I suggested to them that maybe it was the palps causing my anxiety as much as the other way around.

IP Logged
jason

Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2010, 1:08pm

HI,

I had a heart trace taken a couple of years back, not sure if this is same as ECG, had bloods taken a few times, blood pressure etc etc

He says it 's anxiety. I dont think I need anything more tested as I appear to be in perfect health otherwise and doc even said he wish he had my health. Go figure!

Also the fact that these things have in the past dissapeared for months, then came back on cue when I started thinking about them again seems to point to them being controlled more by me than anything.

I think in the past they were at a level where as when I got distracted with normal life they just faded away. This time cos I have had them so long they seem more ingrained in me, so are not just dissapearing on my good days anymore.

The positive side to this is that when I finally do make them go this time I think it will be cos I have learnt so much more about them and myself, they will then be more difficult to return or if they do return more difficult fo rthem to take a hold of me so tightly and stay

Thats the theory anyway Wink

IP Logged
Stav98

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2010, 1:30pm

It's a good a theory as any!

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2010, 12:47pm

You seem constantly surprised or perplexed that you're repeatedly given a clean bill of health. The presence of phsyiological changes induced by stress or anxiety are not symptoms of disease, or even and indicator that something is wrong. It is your belief that something is wrong which makes progression difficult.

Magnesium deficiency is extremely rare and only pursuant to other qualifying criteria. Many patients used to mention this presumption and it is most often stirred by the vitamin/supplement industry. Magnesium plays a minor supportive role in the regulation of the heart's performance. It is not associated with the onset, frequency or duration of benign palpitations. The same holds true for the other factors mentioned.

You have to remember that many people who experience palpitations of this type become rigidly bound by the notion that something physical is causing the problem and they need but identify it to resolve the problem. The vitamin/supplement industry is only too quick to step in and provide the curative measure, naturally at a bargain price. It is even more compounded by the placebo effect that arises in response to taking these supplements, vitamins, potions, concoctions, skin creams, crystals, copper bracelets and the list goes on almost endlessly. These folks have made a fortune selling these products to people because they've directed their marketing in a manner that reinforces constant use of their products.

You actually get all the nutrients, vitamins and supplements you need in a healthy, balanced diet but people experiencing difficulty feel compelled to take action so they become aligned with the use of all sorts of products being peddled as having curative powers. Things like peppermint can produce a calming effect and it's been used for centuries as a digestive aid, even regularly served in after-dinner mints. This does not suggest curative powers by any means, however, and you'll find many people who would argue that all sorts of things absolutely bring relief in a medicinal manner. It is often fruitless to point out the error in such beliefs, for the patient is suitably reinforced by the change in status that these products often bring about, albeit changes that are erroneously judged as medicinal and curative in nature. This is, unfortunately, not the case.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
jason

Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2010, 11:57pm

Thank you VERY much for taking the time to add your thoughts RLR, I was hoping you would.

I wouldnt say I have been repeatedly given a clean bill of health - I had a heart trace done a couple of years ago and probably 2 blood tests in the past 2-3 years, just standard ones, nothing more, so I guess I am not yet 100% convinced that I have been thoroughly checked out, plus the docs just say - oh it's just anxiety, do you want some pills to help with the anxiety. To which I have always said no so far.

I guess the problem for the layman like myself is that you have 40+ years expertise in the field and state that supplements like magnesium categorically wont/cant help, but then Dr Dean also has 40+ years experience and states categorically that it will.

I guess if supplements are nothing more than placebo then that is how they prey on us, placebo once again proves the power of the mind and it's effect over the body.

IP Logged
daybyday

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - Jun 21st, 2010, 2:27pm

Nice to see you still posting in Jason and haven't left us entirely.   You give helpful reminders.

IP Logged
Stav98

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - Jun 21st, 2010, 3:21pm

I went to the gym for the first time in 6 weeks or so yesterday morning.  Although I was mildly panicy and anxious this morning (managed to control it with concentrating on my breathing), no palps at all (touch wood) since my very mild exercise session.

Also I have to climb several flights of stairs to get to my office.  On some occasions (usually in the morning) this seems to send me a bit hypo...not today.

hhhmmm what does that tell me?

IP Logged
daybyday

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - Jun 21st, 2010, 8:36pm

Good for you stav98.

Myself I went for a walk this evening.  Just 20 minutes, but I did it.   And was ok.   A bit anxious, and realized I had to remember to breath, but the old ticker did it's job nicely. Smiley

IP Logged
jason

Reply #13 - Jun 21st, 2010, 11:50pm

Thanks daybyday  Wink

I think exercise can only do us good  Wink

Hi Mart,

Brilliant - well done! onwards and upwards hopefully  Smiley

I've trained almost everyday, 1st thing in the morning almost everyday now for just over a week. Mentally I feel more in control for sure, only bad day was the day I took off exercising  Huh

The 1st week was easy, H rate to 120 - 130 for about 30 min then 15 min on weights machines (light) this week I have started to push just a little more, HR 130-140 30min then a bit harder on the weights.

The heart is a muscle and I think making it a bit stronger will help, perhaps the regular exercising and stronger heart muscle will help it to be less influenced by the Vagus Nerve? at the least when I get back to a level of exercising more vigorously it will prove to me mentally that my heart can withstand quite a bit - well that's the plan.  Wink

The mental aspects ie proving what causes my palps are my main issue really.

fingers crossed for me please

« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2010, 6:01am by jason »  
  IP Logged
jason

Reply #14 - Jun 23rd, 2010, 8:15am

Just thought I would update - As I have continued my exercising I have found I am having more good days than bad now. The palps are pretty much still there but on the whole reduced or I am not always paying as much attention to them.

I have also noticed that during times when I feel very good and anx free, then the palps can go for a while - now if my palps were caused by a deficiency in something, or a heart problem etc then how could this happen? It couldn't and certainly not in the instant way these palps can go when I have real good moments during a day.

I guess I am coming to the realization that supplements might work for some, but the reason is probably placebo in almost every case, which if it works for them, then fine, but it would be an expensive way to live the rest of a life.

Also when I exercise then the palps always stop as my body overides to make the heart etc perform as they are required to during exercise. I guess if I did have a heart fault then exercise would make things worse? (RLR).

It feels good to come to more of  a realization that there is only 1 cause, my mind/worry/anx and I dont need to keep searching and trying to think my way out of this by solving some great mystery.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print