Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is TAURINE safe to take with betablockers? (RLR) (Read 25493 times)
Natalia

I Love YaBB 2!

UK
Is TAURINE safe to take with betablockers? (RLR)
Jun 25th, 2010, 2:58pm

After reading one of jason's threads I did some research on taurine and now I quite fancy trying it for palps. There seems to be quite a lot of info that it can eliminate PVCs and reduce PACs and even non-specified search still brings up the benefits it has for the electrical system of the heart.
According to the first google result on taurine.....

Benefits and Uses of Taurine include

Arrhythmias
Asthma
Antioxidant for the eyes
Bloating
Blood Clots
Breathing constriction
Congestive heart failure
Cystic fibrosis
Diabetes/glucose metabolism
Epilepsy
Fat digestion
Heart strength & rhythm
High blood pressure
Immune weakness
Liver and Kidney disease
Lung ailments
Macular Degeneration
Ovarian Cancer
Vision impairment

I'm currently taking 50 mg of metoprolol daily for palps and am trying to reduce the dose (it was initially 200mg but my blood pressure that is usually quite low anyway went through the floor on that dose). My aim is to come off them completely and I would like to try taurine to see if it helps combat the PVCs.
I have looked for some info on taurine and BB and only found one forum that discussed this and according to them it was ok to take together.

I got 500mg taurine capsules from Holland and Barrett today but would like to hear from RLR first if they are ok to take with Betablockers.

If anyone here has tried this "remedy" already I wold greately appreciate any feedback.

It sounds a bit too good to be true but who knows, maybe it really works. While doing my research i also found out that there are a couple of heart meds in other countries with taurine as the main active ingredient.

I'm not tense, I'm just very very alert
Natalia   IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Is TAURINE safe to take with betablockers? (RLR)
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2010, 3:39pm

While there is no direct contraindication in using Taurine with beta-blockers, I am unaware of your medical history so I'll simply state here that if you have liver or kidney disease, then you should not take this non-essential supplement. In addition, Taurine appears to potentiate the effects of insulin so if you're a diabetic, then it would not likely bring about any advantage. It is unlikely that the observed effects on the heart by Taurine will produce any greater effect by the beta-blockers but this is typically demonstrated on a patient-by-patient basis. You should always notify your primary care doctor as well to inform them of any supplements being taken.

Remember that the studies which suggest various benefits of Taurine supplementation are largely driven by paid research. The actual clinical benefits are still under investigation. Many supplements boast this type of pan-curative power and it equates to a huge boost in sales. Again, the actual clinical implications are yet to be fully determined.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Natalia

I Love YaBB 2!

UK
Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2010, 1:39am

Thank you so much for your reply and advice, RLR!

I have no medical conditions you mentioned (at least not as far as I'm aware, I had all the general full blood count tests a couple of months ago) and I am not diabetic. I have antral gastritis and my usual BP (WITHOUT betablockers) is around 90/60. The smaller dosage of bb doesn't seem to lower it.

I'm going to ring my GP on monday and let them know I'm thinking of giving Taurine a try.
Has anyone here tried it and noticed any results?

Natalia   IP Logged
jason

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2010, 12:24pm

darn!!

I just wrote for 5 mins on this post het the wrong key and lost the lot!!! ARGH!!!

OK briefly this is what I said -

Tauring is supposed to work better with arginine, I did both (from H&B) I found after 3 days there wasno palp improvement but I was getting increasingly more anxious and agitated, MUCH more than is normal for me. As an anxious person I immediately thought it could be the supplements, so I stopped them, within 36 hrs I was back to normal. Now it could have been something else, but it worried me enough not to want to try them again just to prove a point! Taurine on it's own might be ok or even better magnesium taurate if you want to try it.

Now I have been interested in nutrition for MANY years and even have a quilification in nutritional instruction  Roll Eyes and I have been taking various supplements on and off for MANY years as I have been persuaded that they would make me feel healthier, fitter, stronger etc etc and I can honestly say that other than a digestive enzyme I take (which can turn my thick porridge in to liquid in seconds if I pour the capsule on it!) absolutely NONE of the others have EVER made a conclusive difference at all - NONE. and I have taken the best brands / most expensive etc

I am coming to the conclusion, rapidly now, that the most important things to get right are the foods that we eat and the air that we breathe.

Now I have read MANY books on foods, supplements etc but NONE have ever explained it all in such a simple and cohesive way as this site - Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login if you eat like this then you can be sure you are getting way over 100% of all the nutrients your body requires, in it's most natural and absorbable form.

Couple that with a good exercise program and you are sure to become very healthy and fit, and this is bound to help with any anxiety and palpitations you are experiencing, it has GOT TO BE a real benefit. I think RLR would agree with this too - hope so.

Supplements seem like a plausable way out, and also our desired quick fix to these palpitations, but I have a cupboard full of them and my palpitations say otherwise, I've blown a LOT of money searching for a cure, not just for palps, but years before when seraching for increased health, etc etc etc

I think the secret is, eat real good - this gives you confidence you have no deficiencies. Exercise, this releieves some of the stress and anxiety and proves your heart works fine, all that is then left is the mind, and that is the one to concentrate on, convincing yourself that the benign palps are caused by your thinking etc as RLR states.

IP Logged
Natalia

I Love YaBB 2!

UK
Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2010, 1:56pm

Hi Jason, I have thought about trying those two together as well but then read something about the side effects of arginine and decided to give taurine a try instead.
As for nutrition, I have a healthy diet (no red meat though, don't like it) apart from it being mainly vegetarian its very varied and mostly organic. Like many people here I have started paying more attention to nutrition after the palps flared up again and I am very familiar with WHFoods website. However, some of the foods described as healthy there can be hard to find in their organic form (for instance when you start researching into what fish is safe to eat etc etc it can get scary at times).
I understand exactly what you are saying about all the "remedies", I have tried potassium supplements and various vitamins, but they didn't seem to make much difference. As they say, synthetic vits enrich your urine and the companies that produce them....

I'm going to maybe give Taurine a try and see how it goes. I have to say I am a bit anxious to come off the betablockers (although I don;t know why, I have had lots of palps while taking them, including the "scary" kind).

Natalia   IP Logged
jason

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2010, 2:08pm

It's worth a try if only to prove to yourself either way.

Yep synthetic vitamins = expensive urine, so what's the next nutritional supplement we should try? Food based supplements, that is the new rage, the new kid on the block being pushed, I tried them too - no difference at all, just even more expensive, yet again.

I tried Potassium too - no difference, b vits - no difference, calcium - no difference, magnesium - LOTS of different types - no difference other than loose poo! Vitamin D, vitamin E - all the same, waste of money! Money that could have been much better spent.

I'll be real interested to hear how you get on with the Taurine though.

IP Logged
Natalia

I Love YaBB 2!

UK
Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2010, 2:53pm

I will keep you updated, I'm curious myself. I'm hoping to get off the betablockers completely and I think I'm looking for smth to lean on, and taurine seems suitable enogh. I just hope it works.

Natalia   IP Logged
aleandra
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2011, 6:30pm

Hello Natalia,

I also suffer from different types of paliptations (PAC, PVC) and came across some information that taurine can be beneficial in this regards.

You were going to give it a try and I wonder if you found taurine helpful for palitations.

I would highly appreciate if you could reply.

Thank you.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print