Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Painful missed beats/ectopics (Read 21863 times)
Bubsie
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Painful missed beats/ectopics
Nov 23rd, 2010, 5:49pm

I've tried a search on this forum and nothings come up, I can't find anyone whos had the same problem as me! Sad

Sometimes my ectopics/missed beats are painful, I've only had 1 REALLY big REALLY painful one that felt like my heart just nearly exploded, but I get little painful ones sometimes.  I can't find anyone else who has!

I told my doctor and he just dismissed it cuz he said I didn't have any missed beats when he took my pulse which is true cuz I didn't get the massive bang in my chest.

I keep reading that you need to have the ectopics/missed beats picked up on a monitor or ECG to assess wether they're harmfull or not, I've had an ECG but I wasn't having the big bangs in my chest at the time and some people tell me it's not enough and others tell me it's fine, I don't know what to beleive!

I'm so scared there's something wrong with my heart and nobody's taking me seriously enough to check it out cuz I'm only 20, I don't know what to do!  Any advice is truely appriciated.

IP Logged
aks85

BaZinga!

Alaska
Re: Painful missed beats/ectopics
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2010, 8:34pm

I have had a few palps that hurt. it wasn't PAINFUL just an ...ow...what the heck?

I've seen a couple posts saying You truly do not need an ECG to catch the event. hopefully RLR can help you further.  Wink

Sometimes, even my brain has palps
  IP Logged
Stav98

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2010, 11:44pm

Hi Bubsie.

Firstly my advice to you is to work towards ignoring them; they're not going to kill you!  In terms of them being painful many people have slightly different symptoms so don't be concerned that yours are different and therefore that it has to be something else.

RLR answered a question similar to yours no too many moos ago; if I find it I'll post a link.

Essentially a doctor doesn't necessaraly complete an ECG/EKG to SEE any dodgy beats or rhythms.  These tests are used to measure the health of your heart to ensure it's in a healthy 'beat' (sinus rhythm).  I guess this is why they attach those annoying sticky strips to key pulse points etc as well as your chest.

I had an ECG myself earlier in the year an that too was clear although I continued to have palps for some time.  The KEY result was that my heart was running like a carefully oiled machine.

SO...don't be worrying yourself about missed diagnosis etc as the ECG was clear.  The test measured that your heart was beating as it should and all the right things were happening in the right places.

IP Logged
emma09

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2010, 3:47am

ive had 3 ecg's & a holter monitor and im only 23 lol only reason i had them was
1. cos id just a had a baby and my heart was in tachy so the obvious thing to do was do an ecg was all clear.
2. cos i took my self to the hospital and they obviously have to do a follow up this where i had my 24 hour holter
3. i went to see a new gp and she didnt know my histroy so to cover her back she did an ecg.

you know the other times i went to my usual gp she only listend to my heart and basically said theres nothing wrong she even said to me she wouldnt dream of sending me for an ecg cos im too young and my heart sounded fine. have confidence if you doc.

i get little painfull ones sometimes this when ive been stressed & my muscles have been tense, maby this is part of your problem ?

x

IP Logged
Stav98

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2010, 6:34am

Chest pains are very common if you look up anxiety, stress, panic symptoms through google.  

In terms of the stress and being tense...it think you've answered your own question Smiley

IP Logged
Bubsie
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2010, 12:04pm

Thank you for all your replies I feel a bit better now!  Stav, thank you for putting so much effort into your reply it was really reassuring. Smiley

IP Logged
Stav98

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2010, 12:23pm

No worries...I seem to have just gone the other way on responding to another thread :S

Hopefully you managed to translate 'too many moos' in to 'too many moons'.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2010, 5:29am

Pain being produced in the same proximal time period as a palpitation event is not associated with pain within the heart itself. Brief vaso-spasm is oftentimes the culprit and for the sake of those who rush to their favorite search engine to locate the most hideous outcome of vaso-spasm, I'll foreclose upon any speculations by telling you that the vaso-spasm I'm speaking about here is on the order of that which sometimes produces migrainous headaches and not those associated with more pathological events.

Remember also that a palpitation event is simply a wayward impulse traveling along the vagus nerve until it reaches its terminal endings, one of which is naturally the heart. It is more the equivalent of a muscle twitch and is not being caused by the heart itself.

A sudden spike of pain can sometimes occur because you have to understand that the nervous system is the electrical wiring harness for the entire body and it controls aspects of everthing you experience, including pain.

The pain you describe is not associated with any type of ischemic pain encountered by persons with heart disease. It is, in fact, the farthest reach from anything to do with such disease.

You'll be fine. There is nothing wrong with your heart.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Bubsie
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2010, 7:40am

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me RLR, I won't do an internet search for vaso spasm, I've learnt my lesson about internet searches so I'm gonna take your word for it. Smiley  I feel a lot calmer about my palpitations now so really, thank you.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print