Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ANXIETY AND PALPITATIONS (Read 8014 times)
jazzmynn

I Love YaBB 2!

ANXIETY AND PALPITATIONS
Dec 02nd, 2010, 5:15pm

I would like to know exactly how anxiety causes palpitations or stimulates the vagus nerve

Thanks!

IP Logged
AbbyH

I Love YaBB 2!

Florida
Re: ANXIETY AND PALPITATIONS
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2010, 6:30pm

Anxiety causes an increase in adrenaline, then adrenaline stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, which stimulates the vagus nerve and induces the palpitations. This is why they are so common in people that suffer anxitey and panic attacks.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged
aks85

BaZinga!

Alaska
Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2010, 7:55pm

furthermore, the state of GAD release a slow steady flow of adrenaline in the system on a daily basis which results in palps common.
panic is a sudden major surge of adrenaline to the system which causes sudden palps and racing heart.
other states also can induce hyperventilation which can also.bring about palps.
as well as inducing some stomach issues that causes palps.

lets.not forget the mind. the mind is so incredibly powerful I doubt well ever know its secrets. once a fear is set the mind can reproduce it which a somatic representation.

anxiety can produce so much in our bodies that its a true nightmare for.those of us who suffer. also, anxiety does not have an on/off switch. it took time for.your.body to reach anxious states chronically. and so, it'll take time for the body to unwind which may result in continued experience.of anxiety symptoms.

Sometimes, even my brain has palps
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2010, 4:11am

Well, that's a fair estimation but we need to make clarification.

Epinephrine (adrenaline) stimulates the sympathetic nervous system and generally prepares the body for action. The parasympathetic nervous system demonstrates an opposing action and generally maintains functions by the body at rest. The vagus nerve is part of the parasympathetic nervous system which mainly uses the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, not adrenaline.

Adrenaline does not cause palpitations to occur, nor does it stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system. The reason that you experience palpitations is due to a generally and often chronic stimulation of the central nervous system as a consequence of significant anxiety, producing a variable dysregulation. Among the features of such dysregulation is the random stimulation of the heart by the vagus nerve, either at the level of the proper nerve or below that region as the pneumogastric nerve which innervates the GI tract.

Evoked potentials by way of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine ascend the nerve until the reach all of the terminal points which the vagus nerve innervates, one of which is the heart. This signal is merely superimposed over the normal electroconductive architecture occurring within the heart at the time. Depending upon the precise moment the signal reaches the heart during the cardiac cycle, you can experience the event in the form of a palpitation. In other words, if the cardiac cycle is undergoing ventricular depolarization when the vagus nerve signal arrives, you might sense it as a powerful thud due to the significant pumping action by the ventricles. If the vagus nerve signal arrives at the point of atrial depolarization, you might experience a light fluttering sensation or hollow sensation in your chest, associated with the more subtle action by the atria. If the vagus nerve signal arrives during ventricular repolarization, then you might experience the result as the absence of a heart beat because this phase of the cardiac cycle is when the heart is instantaneously and momentarily at rest as it begins another round of the cardiac cycle.

The impact by the vagus nerve is fairly equal, but it is the particular entry during the cardiac cycle which changes its characterization. If stress or anxiety is elevated or undulating, or GI distress is significant, then stimulation by the vagus nerve can occur at variable frequency, from several per minute to hundreds in some cases.

To sum, adrenaline is associated with the sympathetic nervous system architecture and its actions are associated with an increase in functions of the heart, lungs, etc. The parasympathetic nervous system primarily uses acetylcholine to act in a reverse manner, slowing things down to normal. Palpitations occur as a consequence of inappropriate stimulation of the vagus nerve as part of overall influences by anxiety or stress on the nervous system in general.  

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
lmg83brown

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2011, 10:04pm

Hi RLR, I would like to ask a few questions regarding your reply because I am a little confused.  Sorry It is very complicating and I thought I understood that adrenaline was a stimulant that irritates the vagus nerve indirectly.  I very , very rarely get ectopic when at rest or when not anxious, but as soon as I get a panic attack my heart rate nearly doubles and ectopics become very, very frequent until the panic resides.  I get patterns such as bigeminy and trigeminy and sometimes every 8th beat.  I was wondering if you still think it is vagus induced even with the patterns.   I thought the panic triggers the sympathetic system which is adrenalin(i think), and then the parasympathetic kicks in causing the ectopics.

1.  Please explain why every time I have a panic attack I immediately get frequent ectopics .
2. They seem to be associated with increases in heart rate I will immediately get them with exercise, anger, and of coarse the panic and aswell as a hot shower.  I am not fully understanding the exact process I always thought the adrenaline was causing the increased heartrate and ectopics.  (because I dont get them when relaxed.)  I am very glad I read your post because you discribe ectopics originated from the upper chamber of the heart more of a empty fluttering feeling and thats exactly what I get during the panic attacks ...Just sometimes every other heartbeat.  Very rarely when at rest I will get the pause followed by a much stronger beat(perhaps originating from the lower chamber).  To RLR thank you so much , I am no longer living in fear of these ectopics, I just would like to fully understand the process and was a bit thrown off after reading this old post.   If anyone else can explain the process of anxiety to ectopics please do respond.  thanks ,  I would really appriciate any help.

I would like to add that I read that released catecholamines (caused by panic attack) can trigger ectopics and ever runs of them.  I thought catecholamines were adrenaline.  Please correct me if i'm wrong , Perhaps they do trigger them , just in a indirect way? Thanks

I just realized what may be causing my ectopics....Ever since my ectopics appeared (about 6months ago during a severe 1hour panic attack) Ive noticed a slower resting heartrate then of before the panic attack.  Ive always had panic attacks but perhaps that severe one caused my parasympathetic side to step in and become dominant. (that would explain the slower heart rate.)  Now any time my heartrate increases I get ectopics ,(perhaps any sympathetic activity clashes with my now dominant parasympathetic tone.  I hope that is correct and it makes sense with the way you put it.  Central nervous system can be effected by long term anxiety and stress.  Hopefully reducing my stress can balance things a little but I will admit I really would rather have a slower resting heart rate (70) as apposed to what I used to have (100+) for years.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print