Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I am trying to get better, then all of a sudden (Read 3693 times)
Jennifer

I Love YaBB 2!

NC
I am trying to get better, then all of a sudden
Jan 29th, 2011, 9:18am

Dear RLR and Friends, I just had a scary experience and wanted to know if anyone has ever had something similar happen ...
As I once posted, I am agoraphobic. I have been ever since over a year ago I had a scary palpitaiton while driving, along with episodes in stores where I felt fuzzy headed and thought I was going to pass out ..
Anyway, I am getting to the point where I am tired of living like this. I am starting to make myself get out a little more and try and endure the anxiety. I have to, life changes need to be made and I have to be able to do these things.
Today I had to pick something up from the store -- a layaway type thing. I felt some hyperventilation on the way, but I wasn't as afraid as I normally would be. I got a few items first -- once I am in the store I do feel I want to hurry so I can get out, so I am rushing here, there, and everywhere. Finally, I go to pick up my layaway and I am waiting, and waiting, and waiting -- I start feeling more anxious, this has interrupted my rhythm. Then, I start feeling fuzzy headed and wondering if I was going to black out. Finally I got my stuff, and after that I really felt I needed to rush, so I walked briskly through the store, kids in tow. I'm hyperventilating and I got in a short line. My head is starting to feel funny -- tingly, maybe I started worrying about that .. then, my heart just fluttered all over the place and I had to hold on to the side of the check out place because I thought I was going to black out. I just had to get out of there! I got to the car and calmed myself down, but I still had minor waves of panic. I'm feeling ok now -- just my legs feel rubbery and my head feels full.
Here I am determined to get over this and THIS happens! My doc keeps telling me I am fine, my heart sounds fine, but I can't shake this fear something is wrong because of such strange symptoms. I know I have a lot of emotional stuff bottled inside -- in fact I found out this morning someone I know in our community died of cancer, she was young. Maybe that subconsciously had something to do with the extreme nature of the sensations ..but then I worry that if I have a heart condition it would present itself more under stress.
I am worried now. I can handle palpitations/flutters/ missed beats -- as long as there are no other symptoms attached. But, when I feel clammy, or I feel I am going to black out for an instant .... something's got to be wrong. I've had EKGs done for a couple of years off and on due to this sort of thing (well, prior to the light headedness with these, or the feeling of impending black outs) and they have all been fine. I am 39 -- can something really be wrong after all?? Have any of you experienced such scary things along with your palpitations/flutters -- whatever they are??  :'(
Thank you in advance for your replies ...

wiskersonkittens2405   IP Logged
jothenurse
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: I am trying to get better, then all of a sudden
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2011, 11:57am

Hi.  I know RLR will be able to help you, but maybe I can give you some reassurance in the meantime.  I have had the palpitations, jelly legs, lightheadedness.  They especially happen when I am in a store and waiting in line.  These are all very common symptoms of anxiety/stress.  It is very scary, but not dangerous.  The more you can challenge it and continue to go out, the less they will happen.  And even when things are going better, occasionally you may have a hard time.  Don't let this scare you.  Just know it is two steps forward, one step back.  Just know that these symptoms aren't dangerous (I know they are scary).  I am still working through my anxieties, but you can get better and things do improve.  It just takes time and pushing through the fear.

IP Logged
Jennifer

I Love YaBB 2!

NC
Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2011, 3:27pm

Thank you so much for replying.  I had another scare while I was eating lunch today -- my heart, in the lower part of my chest did something strange, almost like it was beating slower and I had a huge rush to my head and I felt wobbly and was afraid this was the big one.  As I sat down to eat dinner tonight I had a bad panic attack with palpitations and feelings like my heart was stopping -- along with that strange head feeling.  I had to stop.  I guess I was worrying what happened before while eating would happen again.  Anyway, after the episode at lunch I got up slowly, and made my way upstairs to my room and curled up and just cried.  I was starting to get better and now because of those two episodes today, I am worse off.  
I keep telling myself this is all emotional, but I just want the anxiety to stop, the symptoms to stop -- just want my life back to the days I was more at peace.  Two steps forward, one step back  ... yes, it will take some time to undo what I've done.  Smiley  
Thank you for your reassurance.  Your reply meant a lot.   Jen ~

wiskersonkittens2405   IP Logged
jothenurse
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2011, 4:34pm

No problem.  I know how scary it can be and how hard it is to keep yourself from getting panicky.  It'll get easier though as you challenge it.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2011, 6:18pm

Okay, well you need to take a breath and relax. There is nothing wrong with your heart. You have to acknowledge that simply because you become fearful of something, doesn't make it real in any context at all. Most fears are irrational in nature and often overdrawn by comparison to the actual circumstances.

Panic threshold events in particular can rattle one's self-confidence and produce a general sense of helplessness, causing vigilence to any signs of physiological changes. It is the focus upon these changes that sets in motion growing panic until a threshold event is experienced.

The problem in your case is that you have put more faith in misguided perceptions rather than the facts as they truly exist. You believe that anything is possible rather what is actually probable.

So the answer rests with facing your illogical fears by recognizing that your interpretations are wrong. You are afraid because you don't understand what's actually taking place and it's producing unbridled speculation.

You're going to be fine.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print