Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
EKG said possible left atrial enlargement - RLR? (Read 26480 times)
LauraQ
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

EKG said possible left atrial enlargement - RLR?
May 2nd, 2011, 9:56am

Recently had an EKG at the ER due to anxiety. I have a past history of palpitations, as well. I read the EKG printout and it said normal sinus rhythm, but possible left atrial enlargement. I can't remember the rest, except for "abnormal ECG." Should I be worried or pursue further testing? The ER doc said it was a normal study.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: May 03rd, 2011, 10:38am by LauraQ »  
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: EKG said possible left atrial enlargement - RLR?
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2011, 4:53pm

Okay, this is a very common presentation and like so many others who have fell prey to the voice of the ECG, I'll share with you that the computer hasn't a clue what any of the indicators mentioned actually means. It merely responds to algorithms programmed into it and provides a rudimentary protocol to aid physicians in their evaluation.

Understand that the ECG develops a 3-D pattern of heart function by means of electrical impulses and factors of time related to their travel through the heart muscle. As such, many factors can potentially impose upon the accuracy of the instrument and its readout. Even in the absence of these influences, a premise of mild atrial enlargement would be an incidental finding and unremarkable. It would pose no threat to your heart health in any context.

Remember that in order for the ECG to respond in such a manner, it would perceive enlargement as a delay in signal from one point of the atria to another. Again, this is highly influenced by many factors and in most cases, would constitute an artifact.

Take a breath and relax. The computer doesn't know what it's talking about, it simply responds to pre-programmed data that commonly comes under influence. It confirms the reason that physicians still manage to hold down a job. Smiley

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
LauraQ
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2011, 5:27pm

Thank you!! You have eased my mind....again.  Smiley

IP Logged
Dm7
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - May 9th, 2011, 5:26am

Hi - sorry I don't have any help for your ECG result but I saw "l atrial enlargement" and I had a similar result so I was hoping I may find some help here.  I have been on the Internet nonstop trying to find some answers.  Ok 1st of all I am a 41 yr old female, healthy as a horse looking exercise person who started having issues with this about 4 yrs ago.  I have been diagnosed w supra ventricular tachycardia.  Recently had a stress echo which showed normal cardiac dimensions and wall thickness.  Ejection fraction 60%. The cardiac valves show very mild mitral valve thickening w subtle prolapse.  The aortic valve is minimally sclerotic.  Color Doppler shows mild mitral, tricuspid and pulmonic  Exclaiminsufficiency.  Filling pressures r pridicted to be normal.
Baseline sinus rhythm rate 68.  There was left atrial enlargement.
2 weeks later I had an event and went into urgent care so I could get bit recorded and the ECG showed atrial flutter w rapid ventricular response with 2:1 a-v block, inferior st-t changes may be due to myocardial ischemia.
My cardiologist who I do not see for 3 months says it showed my supra ventricular tachycardia and I'm fine and I don't have anything dangerous and just carry on as normal.  I was just wondering if any one knew if that  sounded correct.  To me it sounded not all that great and when I did research on left atrial enlgment it made me a little nervous.  My worry is that I love to exercise and will push myself pretty hard.  For example there's a huge hill near where I live and I will go out for a run and then at the end will run as hard as I can up the hill but sometimes I have to stop cuz I'm pushing myself over the limit.  What I'm most afraid of is that I will be one of those people on the news that u see out exercising and they had a heart attack and died out on the trail.  Sorry to give u my whole life story but I am desperate for help and am hoping to find some answers.  If anyone could give me some insight it would be very much appreciated. Thanks so much, Diane

IP Logged
Andrea

I Love YaBB 2!

Arizona
Reply #4 - May 9th, 2011, 2:34pm

If your doctor saw your results from your urgent care visit and it didn't worry him/her, then I probably wouldn't worry. If it was something dangerous to the point where you might drop dead I doubt they'd tell you to come back in 3 months. They'd probably want to see you right away, and the doctor at Urgent Care probably would've sent you to the emergency room. If you're really worried maybe give them a call and ask them to explain to you why you have nothing to worry about. I'm sure they won't be annoyed if you're looking for peace of mind.

Also, definitely don't Google for medical information. It seems like it's only purpose is to scare the living crap out of people.

I hope this sets your mind at ease a little until RLR replies. Hang in there Smiley

IP Logged
Dm7
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2011, 3:27pm

Thanks for the reply!  I agree with u that if the Dr. didn't seem to be woried neither should I but I have been having some problems w getting attention from this dr. so I am going to go and get a 2nd opinion.  I went to this office because they are well known and recommended in my area but they r very busy. Twice I have been in the ER with chest pain and palpitations and the er drs have tried to get a hold of her and couldn't. This last urgent care visit the dr. did want me to go to the hospital and wasn't going to release me until they spoke to her but after 2 hours I told them I would call her when I got home. It is very fustrating because I can go weeks exercising and doing fine then as in that day I was at my tennis league practice and on the way I thought I had heart burn so I popped a pepto then I started playing tennis and I felt the racing heartbeat start then it came over like I had just come down with the flu and my muscles felt really weak and then for the first time I also felt like I was going to pass out.  Before about 4 years ago I never ever had a single health issue and am very health conscious so this has thrown me a bit. Im very thankful I found this sight and can communicate with other people that are dealing w similar issues - thanks again for responding.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print