Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Skipped Beats, Shortness of Breath (Read 8267 times)
ellecoeur
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Skipped Beats, Shortness of Breath
May 12th, 2011, 9:50pm

Hello all! My name is Jen, and I am a 21-year-old female. I've been having heart palpitations recently and they've really
been throwing me for a loop. I went to my doctor recently and had both an EKG and Echo done. They each came back with nothing
to report. However, I do have a minor tricuspid valve prolapse. Perhaps that explains my issue?

I feel like these palpitations occur at the most random times. Sometimes they happen while I'm active, such as walking
upstairs, but I've also had them after I've been sitting down for a decent length of time. Most of the time, I feel that my
heart skips a beat. My doctor says this is caused by anxiety, but I'm not so sure. I have nothing to be anxious about! I
also feel as though there is something constantly stuck at the base of my throat (between my collar bones), and sometimes
I feel like I'm not getting enough air. That bit will come on really suddenly, and I have to take a deep breath to stabilize.
So out of the blue, just like my palpitations. I've checked my pulse upon these occasions, and only sometimes my heart is
beating irregularly. Not sure if they're connected.

Oh, this is all so frustrating. My parents think I'm crazy, but I know I'm feeling something out of place. I've gotten to the
point where I'm even too scared to exercise. Thoughts? Thanks!

IP Logged
ellecoeur
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Skipped Beats, Shortness of Breath
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2011, 9:51pm

Also, as side notes - I have recently cut out all caffiene to no avail, and burping sometimes relieves that shortness of breath
feeling.

IP Logged
heartskipper
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - May 16th, 2011, 9:28pm

have you tried Gaviscon or Maalox? my palps are all mediated from stomach upset, hunger, gas, reflux.  I too get that AWEFUL chest tightness and the feeling I cant get in a good breath, I burp and its all good. maalox has been a sanity saver for me

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #3 - May 21st, 2011, 5:42am

The shortness of breath could be connected to the fear and hyperventilation -  it used to happen before I was more aware of what was happening...thanks to this place.

When  you say you have nothing to be anxious about - I guess anxious might be a word that throws us. I am not an anxious person, but stress caused me to be so...the adrenaline and other chemicals caused by stress.

Have you had some stress?
Quote:
feel as though there is something constantly stuck at the base of my throat (between my collar bones), and sometimes
I feel like I'm not getting enough air.

This is very common with anxiety and/or stress, it even has a name. Somewhere RLR has named it on this board...but I cant find it. I  know it is (information) also on the no more panic forum
:http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forum/

Ah I see its called Globus Hystericus

see here:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=84

My husband also gets this but form excess acid as he has reflux and he feels like food is stuck or something

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2011, 5:50pm

Hi Jen and welcome to the forum. All of the symptoms described are highly similar to those in other persons experiencing significant anxiety.

Realize that this type of anxiety is sufficient enough to produce physiological change that is universally misinterpreted by the patient as symptoms of illness or disease, most commonly the heart. It is not the case at all. Most importantly, this type of anxiety varies greatly from the normal sensations associated with situational anxiety, ie an important school exam, a date with a new fellow, a new job and that sort of thing.

With significantly intense anxiety, physical changes are experienced that produce fear and apprehension. The sensation of a lump in your throat is due to a phenomenon known as Globus, sometimes termed Globus Hystericus. In reality, nothing at all is lodged in the throat and the opening is not narrowed in the least. Despite this fact, many patients feel as though their airway is being restricted.

The actual cause for the sensation is stimulation by the vagus nerve of the musculature of the larnyx. Vagus nerve stimulation is also responsible for the palpitation events you are experiencing and contrary to belief, they are entirely incapable of causing your heart to experience difficulty of any kind and they do not place you at risk of harm to any extent whatsoever. Your heart will never be weakened or damaged as a consequence of these benign palpitations.

The sensation that you are short of breath is also due to influence by vagus nerve stimulation, which also imparts influence on the respiration cycle, causing the affected individual to feel as though they can't achieve an inspirational breath, which incidentally produces a calming effect as a result of stretching the lungs to full tidal volume. In persons with significant clinical anxiety, there is also a tendency to breathe in shallow patterns, which slightly alters blood gas levels and can produce light-headedness and effortful breathing.

If you are experiencing any type of GI disturbances such as indigestion or bloating, realize that this condition can produce upward pressure against the diaphragm. Your lungs expand by downward flexion of the diaphragm which permits the lungs to expand and fill with air. If indigestion and bloating is present to cause upward pressure against the diaphragm, it makes breathing feel difficult or labored, sometimes causing patients to huff or grunt and feel short of air. In reality, there is no respiratory distress at all, only a sensation.

You're going to be just fine and there's nothing actually wrong with your heart. You need to reflect upon any significant life changes that may be evident in your life presently that are highly capable of producing this level of anxiety.

Also realize that mild tricuspid regurgitation is extremely common and considered unremarkable on examination. It is not responsible for your symptoms and does not place you at any type of risk.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print