Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Worried about heart condition!! Please help! (Read 4635 times)
alwaysworrying19
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Worried about heart condition!! Please help!
May 26th, 2011, 7:59am

For a while now I have worried that I have a heart condition which could kill me.  :'(  I've read about something called SADS (Sudden Adult Death) and it has scared me so much that I went to the doctor and he sent me for a ECG and blood tests and he told me that both were fine. However, I still worry that I  or someone I care deeply about may die in their sleep one night just like the stories you hear of people who die from SADS. I have no family history of anyone dying this way in my heart and no one in my family suffers with heart conditions. I've also had two different doctors listen to my heart and my pulse and blood pressure and they say I'm fine. However, I stil can't get rid of this horrible thought.
Does anyone else have this worry? Does anyone know any information about the heart conditions that can cause people to die suddenly? Does these have signs and symptons as well?
Please any advice will be wonderful!!  :'(

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Re: Worried about heart condition!! Please help!
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2011, 10:54am

I do understand that thoughts like the one you describe, can scare you.

But really: If you don't feel anything physical abnormal, and your doctor(s) tell you that everything is ok, believe the doctors! And concentrate on something else.

Maybe you should challenge yourself with something physical like walking 15 miles og bikin' or swimming a long distance.

Of course we'll all die someday, that's kind of the name of the game ... Smiley
But probably "sudden adult death" is more common in relation to car accidents or being stabbed by some lunatic, and I guess you don't stay back from going by car or going out because of that?

Best of luck with your long life!

IP Logged
alwaysworrying19
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2011, 11:13am

Thanks for your reply.
Have you actually heard of SADS before? These deaths are caused by undiagnosed heart conditions which is what worries me even though I've been checked out, it stills plays on my mind.

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Reply #3 - May 26th, 2011, 1:37pm

No, I have never heard of it, but you made me google it!
What I read is that it refers to a death where one actually doesn't know what causes it. Might not even be the heart.

I have read about infant babies dying in the cradle, but have in my 61 years never heard or read of ANYone dying from SADS. Have you heard of anyone (apart from reading on the net)?

I found this, written by a doctor, Elijah Behr:
"The most commonly identified condition (among relatives of SADS victims) was the long QT Syndrome, a genetic abnormality of the electrical function of the heart predisposing it to dangerous and life-threatening rhythm disturbances without causing any abnormalities of the heart’s structure. This means that whilst the long QT syndrome cannot be detected by a conventional post-mortem it can be detected in life by simple heart tests such as the electrocardiogram (ECG) ..."

And you have had your ECG and there was nothing wrong, so: nothing to worry about in my opinion.

Well, I'm not a doctor, maybe RLR knows more about it. Again: You haven't felt anything, you doctor says you're ok. I would presume that you are very much ok, easily frightened, though.

Hope you'll soon have another, much nicer, tune playing in your mind!

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2011, 3:47pm

Well, there are countless possibilities for the scenario your describe, ie death by natural disaster such as a tornado, automobile accident, act of violence and even self-harm. The underlying issue actually has nothing to do with your concern, which merely exists as a fixation upon uncertainty.

The inability to predict and control one's immediate destiny is the circumstance which fans the flames of anxiety. Persons experiencing intense anxiety commonly fixate upon scenarios which cannot be manipulated, foreseen, guided and most importantly, controlled. It is also quite common that information such as that which you're described becomes an established belief based upon limited information and knowledge. In other words, the less a person with anxiety understands about the true nature of any potential source of apprehension, the more irrational their beliefs grow because they are unable to counter such fears with knowledge and/or experience that typically dispels such notions. For instance, children at a certain age overcome the fear that monsters lurk under their bed or in the closet because they have developed a logical understanding of the reality associated with such a premise. People who fear imminent harm from medical conditions are simply unable to discern the reality associated with such circumstances because they merely lack the necessary background and training which provides the requisite insight.  

You believe that a disorder which can strike suddenly without apparent warning could be as probable as contracting the common cold, or in other words could happen to anyone at any given time. It's the common frame of reference by persons with anxiety that absolutely anything is possible and therefore, a potential threat. The reality of the circumstance is that these rare conditions happen all too infrequently, but through the magic of media it can be made to appear as though it strikes down people on a daily basis. This is simply not accurate at all.

People with anxiety have lost their sense of trust that things will be okay and that tragedy is not constantly looming. They feel that they must try to live in the future where a chance is possible to anticipate and foreclose on unseen and unidentified problems. This perception seldom invokes insight regarding the actual inability to predict life circumstances. Reinforcement in this belief and practice actually occurs because the irrational outcomes which they seek to overcome are not real and since they never actually arise, it is believed that their actions have prevented its occurrence in some manner.

It's the same general principle as demonstrated in persons who practice rituals in order to gain some assurance that life will not surprise them with anything unfortunate. It's a false sense of security used to diminish anxiety that potential danger exists and that life hangs in the balance and out of immediate control. They employ magical thinking strategies thought to be capable of influence in their favor.  

You are in no actual danger from benign palpitations and they do not originate from within the heart. Palpitations of this type are the equivalent of a muscle twitch elsewhere in the body and they have no capacity to do you harm. They are unable to actually influence the heart's normal pacers and function. The sensations you experience are far and away greater than what actually takes place at the level of the heart.

You need to be less fearful and fixated upon the extreme rarity of sudden death and realize that you have brought it closer in mind than it shall ever actually exist in reality. You have a full, long life ahead and you need to boldly reach out and experience it to whatever extent you can challenge yourself to do so. Life is not as fragile as you portend and if the kind of risks you suggest were truly so close, humans would have been extinct for millions of years. You'll be just fine and you have no hidden disease lurking and poised to strike you down. It simply doesn't exist.  

Better a lion for a day, than a sheep for one-hundred years.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
benjamzin
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - May 31st, 2011, 5:48pm

A friend of mine lost a relative to this, I get chest pain, often not familiar chest pain, pains which drive me mad, pain which can worry me, the thing is, an ECG, (and other tests if you can get them) are the best - and only way, to get some re assurance, the fact of the matter is, very very few people suffer from this condition, I brought my concerns up with my local Doctor - who is also a mental health doctor, he mentioned that not only are my chances minute, but you are far more at risk from a vehicle accident, and your general anxieties about having these rare conditions pose threats which we don't even know about, "don't worry, be happy", for real, please enjoy your life.  A great deal of people feel that if they "let go", that will be the final time they do so and they will pay for allowing their attention to differ from their symptoms, my doctor is a firm believer in heart palpitations being a result of feeling and focusing on ones nerves and anxiety or panic.  In other words, "look, and you shall find!"  if you seek to find some sort of imperfection, you will likely come across it!  Try this theory in other aspects of your life.  I hope you enjoy living, let go - as for me, I shall try and do the same!
Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print