Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RLR?  I guess you're the one to talk to.... (Read 3601 times)
TomLewis
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

RLR?  I guess you're the one to talk to....
May 29th, 2011, 6:05pm

I am a 28 year old male that has been diagnosed with panic disorder.  I have not been diagnosed with it, as I have never seen a psychiatrist for it, but I also believe I suffer from OCD.  There are numerous ridiculous daily rituals that I feel I must perform otherwise pending doom will occur.  What that pending doom is I do not know, but I will not let objects touch cracks, I will do anything to avoid using certain numbers in any facet of my life, and there are things like kissing my son's picture everytime I open my phone, even if I open my phone 4 times in a single minute.  There are also the tics, like constantly stretching my joints to their limits, fingers, elbows, etc.  Right foot dark color, Left foot, light color.  

Anways, I believe my suspected OCD to be the main cause of my panic attacks, because I am all too aware of my body.  I watched my grandmother's heart monitor rate back and forth as she passed away in the hospital, and shortly after that, my heart has been my demise.

The main problem????  Palpitations, hence me joining these forums.

These palpitations caused me to venture to the emergency room 100's of times within the course of 4 years, and have put me in deep debt, caused me to lose jobs, and have ruined relationships.

They had gone away for about 2 years, and then suddenly came back 4 months ago.  I thought I had this all kicked, but they were even more frequent than usual.  The thing is, they usually only occur when I lay down this time, which is the opposite of the way they used to occur.  I went to the ER a few times, my doctor put me back on atenolol, and they went away for a good month.

Now they are back again, and I am terrified.  Here is a background of my treatments.

Echocardiogram: Nothing wrong
EKG's: Probably over 100 of them, nothing wrong
About 200 hours on an ER heart monitor: a few pvc's, nothing wrong
24 hour holter-monitor: nothing wrong
Blood Tests, Urine Tests, Stress Tests: Perfect, Perfect, Perfect

I went to the ER about a week ago, and for about the 100th time, asked the doctor if I was alright.  The doctor told me, that from all of the tests that have been run on me, and the results of the holter monitor he had before him, my palpitations are 100 percent harmless, and the direct link to my death from my palpitations is 0 percent.  That worked for a week, but now I have myself re-diagnosed as someone in line for a heart transplant, lol.

I have them when I lay down, and they can occur anywhere from every 3 minutes to every 30 minutes, usually until I fall asleep.  They are accompanied by shortness of breath and such, but I'm thinking that is as much about my anxiety issues as anything.  I find myself trying to take deep yawning breaths all of the time, to re-assure myself that I am indeed not short of breath, which leads to hyperventilation, etc, etc, etc....

It's kind of like the chicken and the egg, does the palpitations cause the panic, or does the panic cause the palpitations?  I am on 50 MG of atenolol a day, and my doctor and the ER doctor said I could up it to 100 MG, but if my heart beat slows to under 50 bpm, go back to 50 MG.  Well someone with anxiety disorder, if my heartrate went to 50 BPM, I would be riding in an ambulance to the nearest hospital so I am not wanting to even try out a higher dosage.

Is there anything you know of that can help atleast minimize these palpitations.  The ER Doctor said I'm just unlucky in that I can feel them while alot of people can't.  He said it could be something as simple as the way I am built.  I'm tired of this torture, please help me....

IP Logged
TomLewis
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: RLR?  I guess you're the one to talk to....
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2011, 6:08pm

One other thing that I would like to add.  I don't believe anyone on either side of my family to have died of any heart related illness as far back as my great-grandparents.  My father has an irregular heartbeat, which I just recently discovered, but I do not believe that it is anything too serious.

IP Logged
TomLewis
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2011, 6:13pm

RLR, one other question.  Can palpitations be caused by nothing?  Can it just be the way someone is wired, and still be harmless?  

Could I never touch caffeine, nicotine, and become a monk so to relieve my stress and still have palpitations?

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - May 30th, 2011, 1:59pm

Hi Tom and welcome to the forum. I've read your posting and you should be aware that your concerns are extremely common among persons with anxiety and panic disorder.

Above all else, the most fundamental misperception that you need to address is believing that benign heart palpitations arise from the heart and also that they constitute a symptom of an impending cardiac event or risk your your life. This is absolutely incorrect and it's the very reason that all of your past diagnostic tests, including any future tests, will always produce a negative result.

Benign palpitations such as those you are experiencing do not originate from within the heart at all and do not under any circumstances constitute any classic form of cardiac arrhythmia. It' merely inappropriate stimulation of the heart by the vagus nerve. You can think of the events being more related to a common muscle twitch that occurs elsewhere in the body. Remember that the heart is as much a muscle as it is an organ and as such , is vulnerable to such stimulation of this type as much as any other muscle in the body.

If you experience any type of GI difficulty such as indigestion, bloating, changes in bowel habits or similar disturbance, then realize that benign palpitations can be among the physical symptoms experienced. This is because the vagus nerve innervates the GI tract as the pneumogastric nerve. Disturbances at the level of the GI tract can cause a wayward evoked potential, or nerve impulse, to be generated that travels upward along the vagus nerve proper until it reaches the terminal endings of the vagus nerve, including the spleen, heart, lungs and larynx among other areas. Naturally, the dynamics of the heart muscle in action cause the most dramatic response that is dependent upon precisely when the signal reaches the heart during the cardiac cycle.

The lungs can also be affected and many patients describe the sensation as sometimes feeling that the lungs have forgotten how to breathe on their own and subsequently, voluntary control is induced. It is also common for the vagus nerve response to stimulate the musculature of the larynx, often producing the sensation that a foreign body is in the throat and possibly occluding the airway. Swallowing may seem uncoordinated. The combination of vagus stimulation of the lungs and larynx, together with any pressure that may be occurring against the diaphragm as a consequence of GI bloating, can convince the sufferer that they re experiencing shortness of breath. Consequently, constant efforts are induced to try and yawn or otherwise achieve what is known as an inspirational breath, or a breath that fully stretches the lungs and produces full tidal volume inspiration. An inspirational breath produces a mild calming effect and appears at random during the normal respiratory cycle.

Panic disorder is typically the result of disturbed sensory feedback that usually culminates into a panic threshold. The sufferer senses a rapidly growing sense of fear and forthcoming unidentifiable event. Realize that under normal circumstances, the body provides the brain with constant sensory feedback and it is the brain's response to the feedback which regulates physiological homeostasis by comparison to the environment.

The body's sensory functions can become dysregulated by the effects of anxiety and consequently, the brain is unable to correctly interpret the collective sensory data being received. The sufferer generally senses odd changes in physiology most often mistaken for symptoms that something is wrong and the subsequent fear rapidly accelerates the feedback and response to the extent that it feels as though something catastrophic is about to occur and yet can't be identified.

Rapid, shallow breathing also produces a mild blood gas imbalance which, together with sensory dysregulation, produces racing thoughts and confusion, all of which escalate to the point of a panic threshold event. Panic events can be set in motion by something as simple as a change in lighting, particularly artificial lighting such as florescent lights  can set the process in motion.

The basis for recurrence usually centers upon a growing lack of self-confidence and trust in one's self. The panic attacks produce an ever-present sense of vulnerability, with no way to predict when the debilitating events might occur. It is this perceived helplessness which can result in social withdrawal and a daily routine whose focus is upon proximity to safety, ie a hospital or emergency services.

The original onset of panic threshold can arise from even the most insignificant events. It is the interpretation of the event which causes the ultimate pattern of panic events to arise. Understand that the brain in all humans bears a function known as the fight or flight response, originally intended to prepare the body to either fend off a threat or alternatively escape from it. In order to do so, the brain induces a broad and rapid up-regulation in physiology such that the body is best prepared to survive. If you've ever heard someone who has just been suddenly frightened by a loud noise, they might exclaim "That made my heart skip a beat!" What these people are describing is the exact same palpitation event you are now experiencing, except in your case, anxiety and fear causes the fight or flight response to remain engaged in a chronic fashion.

CONTINUED

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - May 30th, 2011, 2:22pm

CONTINUED FROM ABOVE:

Anxiety, Particularly panic disorder, has its origins based upon irrational fears that the patient has come to establish as real by a series of checks and balances that are flawed. People with anxiety and panic disorder also generally possess greater empathy and elevated sensory function. It is the combination of these two events that general create the potential for problems to arise. By example, a person with significant anxiety, panic disorder or both, can in the presence of a seriously ill person, suddenly find themselves feeling ill or unsteady. The impact of observing another human being struggle can become internalized. If the exposure is signifiant or emotionally intense, it can produce ruminations at a later point that result in physiological changes that result in misinterpretation and consequently, escalation of fear and potentially, panic threshold events.

What you must do to address panic disorder and anxiety is to draw question and doubt to the set of irrational and inaccurate beliefs that you've established over time and presently utilize in daily life. It is a fact, supported by countless diagnostic tests, that nothing whatsoever is wrong with your heart. The logical answer here is not that the equipment is overlooking something rare or unique, but rather that your interpretations of the actual problem are seriously flawed. The problem at such a juncture is you are too fearful to let go of these mistaken beliefs because your brain still interprets the events to be the source of threat to your survival, so the fight or flight response remains engaged. Thus, it becomes a cyclic process whereby any number of acts constituting reassurance are experienced that last but briefly before recurrence. It is much the same principle that causes the placebo effect. A person believes it to work, therefore it does and this response works exclusively in the regard of functional disorders, or those which have no underlying organic cause but nevertheless produce what the patient believes to be physical symptoms.

Realize that a change in your environment which impacts self-confidence or self-concept can produce recurrence. Examples of causal factors would be life-altering events such as divorce or significant marital discord, loss of a loved one, loss of a job or even a new job, relocation and so on. These events all bear significant challenge to one's self-confidence and added to the underlying condition being held in check, the result is often recurrence of panic disorder.

Realize that your sense of self-reliance has been stifled and must be re-established in order for you to refrain from needing external sources of reassurance. You must identify the underlying cause and overcome the fear to examine it to the extent that it replaces flawed and illogical beliefs with more accurate ones that are consistent with reality.

Understanding the true nature of the palpitation events from a medical informative standpoint will result in lowered fear of their presence and ultimately a reduction in their frequency and intensity. It must also be remembered that the palpitation events are the mere cause of vagus nerve stimulation resulting from significant anxiety. So the less anxious you are, the less eventful the palpitations will become.

Also know that regardless of their characterization, the palpitation events are entirely incapable of causing damage to your heart and won't shorten your life by even as much as a moment in time.

Like all the others here, you're going to be just fine. You must bring order and logic to the circumstances in order to find relief.

We'll talk more.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print