Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Incomplete right bundle branch block. (Read 53811 times)
waltzing
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Incomplete right bundle branch block.
Jun 23rd, 2011, 3:49am

Hi, I'm 27 year old male. Recently I've been getting a skipped beat feeling when play football, seem to be when taking a heavy breath. My doc ordered an ecg and it shows an incomplete right bundle branch block. I've Google this and got a little info, can anyone let me have some info and will it be causing my palps? My doc is to refer me to a cardiologist as its the protocol but didn't seem to concerned.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Incomplete right bundle branch block.
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2011, 3:06pm

Okay, let's speak about a bundle branch block. First of all, you can relax entirely because at your young age, this is an incidental finding and right bundle branch block occurs very commonly in persons with completely healthy hearts.

When the main pacer of your heart, the sinoatrial node, generates a signal, it gets picked up by the atrioventricular node and is distributed to the bundle of His, where it becomes divided into the left bundle branch and the right bundle branch. So that your ventricles contract at a similar rate, these signals must be equal. In persons with bundle branch block, there is delay in one of the signals which causes the left and right ventricle to contract at slightly different times. This is not something that you can feel and it doesn't produce palpitations events.

The only consequence is a slightly delayed signal and in a healthy heart, is of no consequence. As stated, right bundle branch block is a very common phenomenon in healthy persons.

The actual cause of the palpitations is due to wayward impulse activity by the vagus nerve, which merely causes the heart to respond and is roughly the equivalent of a muscle twitch elsewhere in the body. These events are entirely incapable of causing you any harm, damaging the heart or otherwise placing you at any risk. While stress and anxiety are typically the underlying cause, GI disturbances or inflammation can also produce the events because the vagus nerve innervates the GI tract as the pneumogastric nerve at that level.

You'll be fine. Your doctor may choose to run further tests to rule out specific causes the the bundle branch block, but again at your age, my opinion is that it's an entirely incidental finding of no consequence.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
waltzing
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2011, 3:05am

Thanks for the reply. Very reassuring.

IP Logged
waltzing
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2011, 8:42am

Hi,

Just wanted to provide an update, after various tests I was told I'm experiencing supraventricular ectopic beats. I was reassured these are totally nothing to worry about. As part of the investigations a scan was carried out last month, I'm awaiting the results but the technician assured me all was well.

My big issue is over the last couple of weeks these beats have become 10 x more regular! But it doesn't seem to happen when resting its happening mainly after meals and when I'm at work or walking round!?

Is this all stress / anxiety? I'm a bit of a worrier! Or is it digestion related? I'm having no stomach pain though.

I was also told not to worry about incomplete right bundle branch block.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2011, 9:18am

Palpitations can surely be related to digestion. The vagus nerve connects in a way both the heart and the GI-tract. RLR has written many times here that GI-problems can cause palps.

I often get them when eating a (too) big meal late, or too shortly before sleep. Or when drinking one glass red wine too much ...

IP Logged
myfunnyheart
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2011, 9:39pm

I'm a 24 year old male and I am having the same exact issue.  Had consistent / regular heart palpitations, had an EKG today - incomplete right bundle branch block.

I have terrible anxiety + depression, so maybe this is the cause for me.  Are you on any meds?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print