Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New here Got some ?'s (Read 5558 times)
TJA
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

New here Got some ?'s
Jul 5th, 2011, 11:33am

Reading the site gives me a little comfort. My goal is to end these things..but the doctors all say "live with it"..Well it's one of those things thats its to the point of all I want to do is go to bed so I dont have to worry about it..

Four years ago this happened, went to the ER doctor said it's just something that happens..Shrugged it off and they went away until March of this year, had some big poundings and went to the ER again they explain them better, and send me to a Heart Doc. they had me wear a monitor and record these things, they tell me that it's nothing to be worried about and gave me some beta blockers.. Since March they have been on and off, I can go for a week without them, get to feeling normal, and BAM! they come back and I go into my depression...Alchohol and Caffine, seem to make these harder and or more often, but there are times i can use both and not have a problem? Very confusing on what's causing these..Any help recomendations would be very helpful, thanks!

« Last Edit: Jul 06th, 2011, 6:48pm by RLR »  
  IP Logged
TJA
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: New here Got some ?'s
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2011, 6:39am

Real quick question...Is there any way that these could be caused by my acid reflux medicine? Nexium?

IP Logged
kchendrix

I Love YaBB 2!

Maryland
Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2011, 10:12am

I think you will notice , if you read some of the postings that there are a lot of people who complain of acid reflux and RLR talks about this in detail.    I can only tell you that you will be fine, but it is you who has to believe.   The less you monitor and try to stay in the moment , the less frequently these things seem to happen..  Stress, acid reflux, anxiety all have a bearing on how many you may experience.....  In any case,  just like the hiccups  they are harmless....   Frightening at times but harmless.  I hope you feel better soon..
KC

If livin' don't come easy , don't stop your own voice, cause the worst part of living is having no choice. (America)
WWW   IP Logged
TJA
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2011, 1:38pm

Thanks for the input..

Now I've been reading and many say that caffine and alchohol, dont cause these, they only make them happen more often? Is that correct?

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2011, 3:18pm

Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant and caffeine a central nervous system stimulant. While the actions of these two products can increase the potential for benign palpitations to occur, the main source of the problem is that in the presence of reflux disorders, both alcohol and caffeine can exacerbate reflux symptoms.

Realize that the palpitations you are experiencing are not originating from within the heart at all, but rather externally by means of stimulation of the heart by the vagus nerve. The vagus nerve also innervates the GI tract and is termed the pneumogastric nerve at that level and explains what persons with reflux disorders or other GI disturbances experience benign palpitation events.

A benign palpitation event is not a sign of heart disease and is incapable of inducing or causing any type of cardiac event to occur, or cause you any actual harm at all. These palpitations are the equivalent of a muscle twitch that might occur elsewhere in the body.

My suggestion here is to have your physicians focus upon reduction of reflux symptoms and you will experience a corresponding reduction in benign palpitation events.

Nexium, or other drug in the proton pump inhibitor class, is not responsible for the presence or change in character of the palpitation events. Any inflammatory or disruptive event at the level of the GI tract, diaphragm or esophagus can induce inappropriate stimulation of the vagus nerve sufficient to cause an evoked potential, or signal, to travel along the nerve to its terminal endings, one of which is the heart.

Pounding heart is merely induced by changes in blood pressure that cause pressure sensors in the carotid artery to signal the cardiac center in the brain that blood pressure adjustments are required to maintain sufficient perfusion to the brain as part of normal physiology. The most expedient method to restore blood pressure to normal range is to increase cardiac force. You experience this action as strong  and forceful beating of the heart. It does not suggest anything is wrong, but rather exists as a normal response. Many persons with anxiety experience this phenomenon due to mild dysregulation that exists as part of physical influences resulting from anxiety, known as somatoform.

You'll be fine. There is nothing actually wrong with your heart at all and the trouble in this instance is originating at the GI tract. Resolve the reflux and you'll see a reduction in the palpitation events. Nothing else to worry about here.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print