Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ectopics During Severe panic attack (Read 9006 times)
lmg83brown

I Love YaBB 2!

Ectopics During Severe panic attack
Nov 27th, 2011, 10:59pm

Hi everyone my name is Lee and this is my first post and I would like to share my experiences with these very scary ectopics I get.  First of all I am a 25y old male father of 3 young children.  I have suffered from panic disorder , health and heart phobias for about 5 years.  My level of stress has dramatically increased since responsibilities just stacked to a very high level very fast.  I have been going threw marriage problems for about 3 years because of anxiety and the agoraphobia it has caused.  My first experience with ectopics occurred about 8 months ago during a severe panic attack at a court house(paying a traffic ticket) .. My heart was racing at about 185 the whole 1 hour in line just anxious to get out of there.  I finally made it threw and as I was leaving the courthouse I developed very very frequent ectopics.  I could feel the pause in my pulse.  The frequency was about 1 ectopic every 2 to 3 beats.  A real fluttering (take breath away for quick sec.)sensation. All of this was occurring with the heart rate at 180.  I finally got to my car got in a relaxed and it went away.  From that day on I've been having them ever since.  My doctors say the anxiety is causing the ectopics.  I do not know whether they are Atrial or Ventricular ectopics.  None of my doctors are concerned and have explained to me that during periods of extreme stress(anxiety) your sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems clash causing the skipped beats.  I have noticed that any increase in heartrate will cause a few skips. It can be triggered by exercise , a hot shower, riding a bike, taking out the trash, walking up the stairs etc.(not frequent like during a panic attack but occurring maybe once or twice before I stop what im doing.)  I am scared to do anything that causes my heart to increase because of the fear of the skips turning into (vtach , vfib etc.)  I made the mistake of turning to google for answers(I know , very bad idea!)  I have learned alot about these things and have came to the conclusion that they are more of a nuisance then anything else.  The symptoms though are terrifying.  I am afraid to drive in fear of these, and sometimes just wanna call an ambulance (but don't in fear that all the drama of paramedics showing up to my apartment complex will just intensify the panic possibly causing a more dangerous arrythmia)  I am very aware that others have some of the same triggers(stress , anxiety etc.) and it brings great relief.  I am slowly at battle every day trying to work up the courage to finally beat this.  I have a few questions to the people of this forum and would deeply appriciate any answers.

1. Has any one else experienced frequent ectopics (pacs or pvcs) during a heart rate of 170-180? (caused by panic or exercise)?

2. I sometimes get patterns during an episode where I will get them every 7th or 8th beat.  Sometimes every other or every 3rd. I know the technical definitions would be bigeminy, trigeminy etc. Is this common? (only when heart rate is increased) Does stress increase or cause this for anyone?

3.  Could it be that the symptoms I am feeling(the Skips thuds flutters) are all normal and my anxiety is just making me more aware of my heart maybe exaggerating the problem and at the same time causing the ectopics to become even more frequent?

4. Why would these ectopics just all of a sudden appear and now occur during every single panic attack I have. ( sometimes daily)

Thank you all I hope to hear from anyone really....... I now get these frequent ectopics during every panic attack I experience which is new to me. Before this I would just get the high heart rate , shortness of breath , impending doom feeling.  Perhaps my autonomic nervous system has changed and adjusted to the constant anxiety I experience.
My heartrate at rest seems has decreased about 15bpm from 100b to 85bpm.  Perhaps my Parasympathetic side has taken over trying to slow things down causing the ectopics (feud with the sympathetic) every time my heart rate increases..... Thank you and I look forward to any help or responses.  

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Re: Ectopics During Severe panic attack
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2011, 1:16am

Hello!
Yes to the first three questions and to the fourth I can't really answer that because it's not a simple question.
But all of those apply to me - you can get any combination of ectopics and fast heart rates when you are suffering from stress or anxiety. Or indeed if your ectopics are related to digestive issues. But even that seems to be a bit of a question - the digestive issues could indeed in the first place be aggravated by the stress or anxiety - so it's all chicken and egg.

the best thing you can do is work on accepting that if your doctors have said not to worry, then you are clear and safe from any dangerous event occuring because of the ectopics.

Many of us have been there - A&E, calling out an ambulance terrified, but nothing has happened to any of us Smiley

Having three young children certainly ups the pressure for lots of us. Concentrate on enjoying your little ones when you have time, and rest assured you can do what you like - run around with them, push them on their bikes, and nothing is going to happen as a result of the ectopics. Honestly, I've had these things for years now.

Keep reading the many helpful posts on here if you ever need to be reminded.

bead

IP Logged
lmg83brown

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2011, 8:00pm

Thank you very much for the reply...... I was wondering if anybody experiences a slow down in heart rate after a few ectopics.  So my heart will be racing at 150 and for a few (4-5) beats slow down to maybe 90 or so then right back to 150.  I know its not from my breathing it seems to happen after my ectopics.  So kinda like beat..beat..beat..beat.ectopic..pause..beat......beat......beat......beat......b
eat..beat..beat..beat..(hopefully that makes sense.  Its really wierd. Could it be the parasympathetic nerve slowing things down briefly.  Or the fact that its after the ectopic? Does this sound concerning?  This only occurs during a panic attack and is a new symptom that started right around when I started getting ectopics.  Could it be sick sinus syndrome?  Or a sign of severe , severe stress?  Any help will deeply be appriciated....THANKS,     Lee

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2011, 5:31pm

Okay, welcome to the forum and I've read your posting and concerns.

Your symptoms would be inconsistent with Sick Sinus Syndrome, but alternatively highly consistent with other persons experiencing significant anxiety and/or stress. Realize that at certain levels, stress and apprehension induces very particular physiological changes, the nature of which are most often misinterpreted by those experiencing such changes as symptoms of an underlying problem.

Benign palpitations of the type you are experiencing are nothing more than wayward impulses induced by the vagus nerve as an unwanted part of its role in the parasympathetic nervous system. These particular events are roughly the equivalent of a muscle twitch elsewhere in the body that is also induced by wayward nerve impulse, except in the instance of benign palpitations, the muscle is in fact the heart. It's very critical for you to understand the extremely distant nature of benign palpitations of the type I describe, in contrast to arrhythmias associated with underlying pathology. There is no association between these two events whatsoever and one cannot transform into the other. Vagus nerve-induced palpitations are forever benign and can no more undergo transformation than a farm hen can become an ape. They are from entirely different origins and share no common route to any further extent.

Your health phobias, like those of most all persons who suffer them, arise from misperceptions about your health and physiology, most often making inaccurate assumptions based upon information gathered which you feel is relevant, but which in fact bears no actual association at all. The other element which introduces the sort of compelling drive to seek out a problem which does not exist has to do with the brain responding in a very particular way to certain apprehensions and perceptions which indicate that one's survival might be at risk. If a threat of such magnitude arises but yet cannot be identified and logically interpreted as within the realm of safety, the brain will literally compel the individual to seek safety and to overcome the threat which is so proximal. In practice, this unfolds as the individual continually seeks diagnostic evaluation for what they perceive to be present, but in actuality constitutes something entirely different and holds no premise of threat to the individual's life. In other words, people most often associate benign vagus nerve-induced palpitations as signs of serious cardiac problems of a nature than can cause their demise. It is of such perceived consequence that they feel urged to obtain tests upon tests with the same sort of compelling drive associated with gamblers who feel that the jackpot lies within the next hand of cards, spin of the roulette wheel or pull on the handle of the one-armed bandit. Likewise, the discovery of the underlying cause will be revealed in the next medical test, to which it remained undetected in all such similar or lesser tests.

The actual fact is that the problem started at the level of perception and meaning of the event and nothing to do with the event itself. In your mind, your health remains at risk because what you interpret to be "symptoms" will not abate. If everything would only return to normal, then you could come down from such high alert status and vigilance to represent the cessation of symptoms as a sign that all is well once again. The life you feel has made a detour five years ago has actually never derailed at all. It is only by your perceptions that such distance has been imparted from a normal life. What you believe to be health risks are nothing more than misinterpretations that you have become bound to as fact, when in actuality they constitute no health risk whatsoever.

You're going to be just fine. You'll begin to see as you spend more time here examining the plights of others with circumstances similar to your own that a very common theme exists. We'll talk more, but for now the take-away message is for you to take a deep breath and relax because what has been happening is not related to actual changes in your health status at all, but rather merely to your interpretations of that status as it relates to manifestations being entirely misunderstood and alternatively being erroneously associated with various illnesses, disorders and diseases by virtue of perceived common references.

In other words, you've got it all wrong.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
lmg83brown

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2011, 8:06am

RLR , thank you very, very much for your response.  I really appreciate it.  The fear I have of these ectopics have almost vanished.  I was wondering if you or anyone in this forum has heard of the term Heart Rate Variability (HRV).  Can Low hrv cause ectopics?  Or is it unrelated?  What are some of the signs of hrv?  I am also wondering why any time my heart rate increases i'de say above 120 or so I will get ectopics(not to the frequency as during a full blown panic attack) but a few.  Whether its a hot shower or exercise its seems to be an automatic event all of a sudden.  Thank you all and I look forward to any response.

IP Logged
lmg83brown

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2011, 4:35pm

I would like to add to my prev post by asking a couple questions that may or may not be related to the vagus nerve and how it induces benign ectopics.

1.  Does the vagus nerve become irritated by the adrenaline caused by the fight or flight response during a panic attack? Or is it caused by some other factor?

2.  Can a long term over activation of the sympathetic nervous system (via long term anxiety or stress) cause a shut down effect on the sns and take over by the parasympathetic slowing things down in an attempt to balance overall nervous system activity?  I ask because my resting heart rate used to always be above 100 before I started getting ectopics,  Now my resting heart rate is always under 80bpm, and I notice that ordinary stressors do not increase heart rate as it once did.  But during a full blown panic attack my heart rate will still climb to 180 like it always had, accept now is ALWAYS occampanied by frequent ectopics.

3.  I notice that if I get extremely emotional over an argument between me and my wife I will get ectopics.  Is this the vagus nerve also Via (adrenaline, or something other)?  Also EVERY time I exercise I get them.

4. Basically can long term stress cause a total shift in the autonomic nervous system?  I know I used to be sympathetic dominant but things definately have changed....

5.  What else can stimulate the vagus nerve?

Thanks to all I really , really hope someone can reply.  And thanks again RLR for your prev response .. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print