Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
RLR - Regarding my Physician and Dr's thoughts. (Read 21815 times)
Steff1573

I Love YaBB 2!

Montana
RLR - Regarding my Physician and Dr's thoughts.
Jan 25th, 2012, 9:12am

Hi RLR,

I went and saw my Psychiatrist yesterday and she has been talking with my Internal Medicine Physician.

They want me tested for something called:

Pheochromocytoma  which has to do with the Adrenal Glands.  I have had CT Scans (recent one was in August when I was Dx with Mono) but it didn't show anything wrong with the Adrenal Glands.

But still my Psychiatrist and Internal Med dr think that this could be the cause of some of my symptoms.

--- Fast heart rate w/ flushing and redness in face
--- High blood pressure at times when I get the fast heart rate
--- Nausea
--- Burning sensations and paresthesias
--- Weight loss
--- Pulse is extremely elevated in the morning (at rest 130) and standing 160's...  Also with this I get severe head pain when I feel my sensations..

it's all complicated!

And apparently this can effect the Parasympathetic Nervous Systen as well as the Sympathetic Nervous System.

Also wouldn't it effect Metabolism and that is why I am losing weight and can't feel effects of meds because maybe my body is metabolizing them rapidly?

My internal Med Dr also wants me to get a Holter Monitor.  So I will go today to have that done and will return it tomorrow afternoon.

So maybe there are some answers?

I just want to feel better...  I am sorry for using this forum in this way, but I was wondering what your thoughts are on this?

Thank you,

Stephanie

IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: RLR - Regarding my Physician and Dr's thoughts.
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2012, 2:27am

i´m no doctor, but during my episodes of feeling very bad some doc mentioned this pheochromocytome to me too.
Its worth looking at i quess.
I never had the severe headache and the very high bloodpressure so i never had this examined, cause these are important symptoms they told me back then.

Its correct that this pheochromocytome can produce symptoms that very much look like heavy anxiety and panic symptoms

I know that I was afraid for some days a year ago when this doc told me (a friend of a friend who was off duty who saw me there having an attack of shivering trembling, sweating and so on during a party) that I had this. cause this guy worked as an ER doc so he wasnt an amateur.
I didnt have it tested cause like I said I hadnt high blood pressure and severe head aches.

But in your case , having such severe symptoms why not have this checked out?

good luck

IP Logged
mbajd
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2012, 5:59am

Steff - I've been tested for pheochromocytoma.  I was having many of the same symptoms you describe like high HR in the mornings, high HR with little effort, etc.  I NEVER had the high blood pressure as my BP tends to be low, but I got the full test for pheo anyway (back in 2004) including having to catch my urine and take it to the hospital for testing, blood tests, etc.  Turns out I did not have it but it helped reassure me to get tested anyway.  I understand that high BP is a hallmark of this problem so maybe it's a good idea, if nothing else for your peace of mind.  Plus, if they did find a pheo, I think they can operate and may be able to resolve all your problems - that would be a good thing.

IP Logged
Steff1573

I Love YaBB 2!

Montana
Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2012, 12:24pm

Thanks for your input...

I just want to know what is going on...

One thing for sure is I know my body metabolizes meds way too fast.  For instance, I will take 1 mg of Xanax in the am, 1 mg at 12 pm, 1 mg at 4 pm and 2 mg at bedtime plus 30 mg of restoril and I still do not feel tired....  

It's like my body is rapidly metabolizing any meds.  I get the same effect when I use to drink alcohol...  Like I never drank  anything and I am usually not a medicine taker until the insomnia started over 2 years ago...  This has me very concerned.  RLR any thoughts on this??

I wish I knew what was going on in my body.  Again my psychiatrist has given me meds, for certain it would me me sleep and or feel effects and again NOTHING...  How can I not be worried?

IP Logged
Steff1573

I Love YaBB 2!

Montana
Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2012, 2:06pm

Will be seeing my Internal Med Dr about being tested for Pheochromotocytoma.  I just do not understand what is going on and after seeing my Psychiatrist and her talking to my Internal Med dr after trying various medicines in the hopes that it would alleviate any psychiatric illlness, she is thinking more physical in nature...

And I know we have exhausted the fatal insomnia stuff.  but I still wonder if it has something to do with that and maybe my last attack never fully went away but was maintained due to the Benzoziazapines I am taking...  I just don't know... I SO want to be normal.

I still have rapid heart beat at rest and I do not feel anxious.  I take anti-anxiety meds and it doesn't have any effect  on me (tired wise)... My Bp spikes and my face gets beet red still at times.  I still get get the hyperreflexia at times too...  Muscle twitching (all of which I have explained numerous times)...

Mostly the same symptoms...  

I really appreciate your help..  I just want HELP and I want to be around a LONG time for my children....  I truly feel like this is something rare..  You have to believe me on this! I know I am anxious (inwardly) but I know this is not normal...  I pray everyday that God will answer my Prayers and I know He is listening...

Thanks RLR..

Stephanie

IP Logged
Steff1573

I Love YaBB 2!

Montana
Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2012, 12:11pm

Update:  Saw my Internal Med dr and he wants me to do a 24 hr urine collection (which I am doing) to test for Pheocrhromocytoma (don't know if I spelled that right) and also is checking for Carcinoid Syndrome (through urine called 5HIAA) and also something (again through urine) called Serotonin Syndrome (even though I don't take anything with serotonin in it.

Go in today for CT Scan of my lower and upper abdomen.  Had a CT Scan in August when i was Dx with Mono and it didn't show anything with the adrenal glands.  Just small cysts on my apparent right pelvic kidney...  

I am just very confused with all my symptoms, not feeling effects of medications even at high does, etc..  Burning, hyperreflexes, and on and on.  You already know my symptoms.

The Urine collection will be sent to Mayo Clinic.  I just am scared and hope I will be OK... I just feel like whatever this is..  it is rare..  Please do respond...

Do you think I will be OK, RLR?  Thanks for your advice...

IP Logged
Steff1573

I Love YaBB 2!

Montana
Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2012, 7:42am

Update:  The CT Scan of my upper abdomen didn't show any abnormalities in my Adrenal Glands..  Still doing the 24 hr urine collection (which I turn in today) to check for the above mentioned...  So tired of going through all this...  RLR can you shed any light on any of the above... And is there any people who metabolize meds at a fast rate and do not feel effects?  I take high doses of meds to sleep and might sleep for 3 hours and then am wide awake.  Currently 2mg of Xanax and 30 mg of Temazapam and still wake up at 2:45 after going to bed at 11pm or later..  No other meds have any effect on me..  No effects.

IP Logged
SK
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - Jan 31st, 2012, 7:37pm

Hello Steff,

Have you tried to go with a Psychologist instead of a Psychiatrist?
Why don't you give it a try? It is just a thought.

Best of lucks,
SK

IP Logged
Steff1573

I Love YaBB 2!

Montana
Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2012, 11:50am

I have seem Psychologists before...  I might do it again..  

I just want to feel better.

What bothers me the most is the sleep problems and waking up at 2:30 am regardless of the 2mg of Xanax and 30 Mg of Restoril (temazapam)..  This all started 2 years ago with the sudden sleep insomnia and then alll these other symptoms came back...  I just hope I will be ok..  It's hard to understand unless you go through it and its complete hell.  Noone should have to go through this and its hard because the Physicians are at lost...  And its not all in my head!  I have done everything the Dr's told me to do, testing, taking meds which don't help much at all, etc...

I keep a journal, talk positive to myself....

I feel like this is soemthing rare.  Fatal insomnia?  Even though RLR you said definitely not that, what if the benzos have been keeping it at Bay and now its getting worse??

I just don't understand...  I want to not worry and get on with it just like everyone else..... But this isn't right........

IP Logged
Steff1573

I Love YaBB 2!

Montana
Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2012, 2:38pm

Then I get to thinking (as my last Neuro thought 2 years ago) that maybe all this has to do with my Temporal Lobe Epilespy? (again was comfirmed by EEG and the neuro said there were sharp patters on the EEG 2 years ago). I have lesions bilaterally on both Temporal Lobes.  Maybe the neuro pathways are misfiring a lot hence why I can't sleep, can't feel certain effects, etc...  That is what my last Neuro thought...  I take Keppra for the seizures and have been for the past 1 1/2 yrs (as the Lyrica I could no longer afford)...  I don't realize I am having seizures, but I wonder if that could explain why I feel certain things and don't feel certain things?  I know and have always thought whatever this is effects the autonomic nervous system.  I have seen my Psychiatrist and she does not think this is depresson or anything like that.  she thinks its physical in nature (besides being anxious about this).  I wouldn't be normal if  wasn't worried about it....  Ugh.  I just want to feel better.......... what are your thoughts on all this RLR?

IP Logged
Andrea

I Love YaBB 2!

Arizona
Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2012, 6:27pm

Long term regular use of benzodiazepines will eventually lead to tolerance - meaning your body won't feel the effects anymore. Talk to your doctor about that and see what he/she thinks.

I would definitely get back to seeing a psychologist or a therapist rather than a psychiatrist who really only will tinker with your meds and not work on the deeper issues. If anything, they can teach you some ways to cope with the stress and anxiety of your potential illnesses. If you can learn how to cope, you may start feeling better... anxiety makes just about everything feel worse.

IP Logged
Steff1573

I Love YaBB 2!

Montana
Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2012, 7:32am

Thanks for your input.  I did talk to my Psychiatrist about the effects of the Alprazalom wearing off and she said since I didnt have an addictive personality (which I never have) then she said I needed to take it to keep my anxiety at bay for the time being.  I have tried other medications like Ambien, etc to sleep and nothing else helps.  The Benzo like Restoril (30 mg) and Alprazolam (which I take 5 mg total a day) do not help at all.  I do not feel the effects.  I think it may help with the anxiety part and I think it does help me sleep.  But with the 2 meds combined I still only sleep at best 4 hrs a night, when the average person would sleep a whole lot longer....  

And even before meds, I still had these attacks (minus the Insomnia which started 2 years ago) and again the only thing that remotely helps is in the Benzo class and it doesn't work for long.  

I have tried other meds like Seroquel, antidepressants, atypical antipyschotics and again they have absolultely no effect on my body.

The thing my Neuro said a couple years ago was that he thought the Temporal Lobe Seizures were causing my brain to misfire with sharp waves (whatever this means) and it would take time for my brain to stabilize.  I am on Keppra 750 mg 3 times a day and still I go through this.

I do have a feeling some of it is caused my the Temporal Lobes, mostly effecting the Autonomic NS type seizures.  And from what I have heard Temporal Lobe Epilespy can be difficult to treat (which meds work, etc)....

I have seen counselors before, so I do know all the skills and am using them...  I can't afford at this point to keep going to the Dr.  My Psych mentioned going back to the mayo Clinic, but again we cannot afford it.  I am doing everything I can........  Thanks for your help...

IP Logged
Steff1573

I Love YaBB 2!

Montana
Reply #12 - Feb 10th, 2012, 5:18pm

still continuing to go through this...

It is awful dealing with this..  I wish I understood, wish I had an answer.  I take the sleep medicine and STILL can't sleep but a couple hours?  I take 30 mg Restoril 30 minutes before bedtime as well as 2mg of xanax and still I don't sleep but maybe 3 hrs?  This has been going on for 26 months now.  I know Sporadic Fatal Insomnia is RARE, but I have heard of some living up to 36 months.  I follow good sleep hygiene, give myself plenty of time to relax in the evenings, have been wearing earplugs for over 2 years now to drown out any sounds...  Still I go through this and I am worried.  

Dr's can't figure out what is wrong.  I have seen counselors, psychiatrist, neurologist and they are puzzled.  Keep saying its the "Temporal Lobe Eplilespy" which I take 750 mg of Keppra 3 times a day for.

My reflexes are jumpy, I feel like I have a hard time remembering certain things, I have tried many medications for anxiety, depression, etc and it has no effect on my brain.  I feel no different and I have no side effects of drowsiness when I did take them in the past.

Now this has been going on for a long time....  I know I am worried, who wouldn't be?  Something is wrong and I know it.....  I pray everyday I get better for the sake of my children and husband and myself.

I know everyone says Sporadic Fatal Insomnia is rare, but why suddenly over 2 yrs ago would I not be able to sleep?  No known reason it just happened.  Previous to that I had problems falling asleep and it would take over an hr and then it just got worse and worse.  

I am still losing weight even though I am eating.  I wake up at 2:00 am (after taking sleep meds) and then I lay there or get up and use the bathroom and can't sleep anymore.  I then get up and everyday my heart pounds, I sweat a lot, my pulse is always high, etc.  Sounds like anxiety but I take anxiety medication...

I take 1 mg at 8 am, 1 mg at 12pm, 1 mg at 4 pm and 1 mg at 9:30 pm along with the Temazapam 30mg as per my Psychiatrist and STILL I can't sleep that much?

I feel whatever this is, is getting worse.  I certainly don't want to have a rare disease of any sort.  I just Pray I get better....

Thanks RLR.. Please Pray for me..

And for all others who will say this is anxiety, etc please do not.  This has been hell to go through.  I am doing everything I can to get better.  I do not like this at all and just keep praying and having faith I will get better.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Chris

I Love YaBB 2!

West Sussex, UK
Reply #13 - Feb 11th, 2012, 7:57am

You have severe health anxiety and panic disorder. All your symptoms point to that.

IP Logged
Andrea

I Love YaBB 2!

Arizona
Reply #14 - Feb 11th, 2012, 9:36am

I'd be willing to bet that it isn't fatal insomnia. Wouldn't you be exhibiting a lot more symptoms than just insomnia at this point?

The train is coming off the tracks. Step back, take a deep breath, and try to be logical. You NEED to find a way to cope with all of the stress you're going through because it's only making your symptoms worse.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print