Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Overcoming Palpitations - Techniques and Advice (Read 7700 times)
rachel young
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Overcoming Palpitations - Techniques and Advice
May 08th, 2012, 10:04pm

I thought I'd start a positive post to help out those of us who have benign heart palpitations that we can use to share techniques or any advice you have about learning to live with palpitations.

Of course, for those of us who have "triggers" that start these palpitation episodes, we can do our best to avoid these things.

But, how about people like myself who have a clean bill of health and skill feel stress/anxiety about heart palpitations and are letting them limit our lives. How can we move past this? How can we finally accept that these horrible feelings are not going to harm us?

Please share any suggestions you can!

For myself, It took a visit to the emergency room (3rd one) to finally accept that my sudden and forceful skipped and extra beats were a symptom of anxiety.

I've started to get a hold back on my life by seeing a therapist about my anxiety issues and NOT letting myself fall into fear and worry. I try to think of palpitations as something that just happens, and as the RLR sometimes states "like a muscle twitch".

Smiley

So yeah.. Anyone else? What do you do to reassure yourself and not let palpitations take over your life?

IP Logged
SK
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Overcoming Palpitations - Techniques and Advice
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2012, 9:19pm

Hi Rachel!

What do you do to reassure myself and not let palpitations take over your life?
That is the answer we are all looking for in this forum. I do not know.
In my case I think that after going to several doctors, therapists, reading this forum and trying to be emotionally less worried has helped me to cope with them but they have not disappeared Sad . They come and go without a real pattern so I keep trying to keep a good attitude no matter how many times my heart flutters but to be honest sometime is hard and I feel as if I am in a circle.
I would be curious to hear what other members say.
Take care,
SK

IP Logged
rachel young
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2012, 9:55pm

Hi! I think how I managed to reassure myself is being able to connect my triggers (anxiety) to the palpitation events. Seeing a counciller helped my realize this.

She started by having me recall my palpitation events in the last month and describe every single thought and physical reaction I was feeling... By bringing back all this information I realized that the physical sensations and thoughts I was having were all related DIRECTLY to anxiety, and usual before the palpitations began..

Whenever I feel like I'm loosing control and I'm in serious medical danger, I stop and examine my symptoms. What am I feeling? What am I thinking? What is the medical reason for this? (anxiety: causes blood to rush away from the head to the skeletal and cardiac muscle, less blood to the head, harder to think.. ect) so.. It all sort of ties together.

To tell you the truth I just had a palp.. Right now I notice that my vision is very focused and my arms are shaking. Anxiety. I was thinking about school. This is directly related to anxiety and not a random medical condition.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged
mia0621

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2012, 8:24pm

My doc wants me to see a counselor. I think it would help, but I need to find time to go. I work and then I am too tired to go anywhere after work. I have a lot of family memebers living with me. It has been very chaotic at home. My husband and I are under a great deal of stress. We are ready to retire, but we can't until everyone moves out, otherwise we can't afford to live on retirement income. My doctor thinks when we resolve some issues, the anxiety will subside and so will the symptoms. She thinks she can take me off of the blood pressure and anxiety meds once things get back to normal. In the mean time, I am experiencing. many stress related symptoms. I think anxiety is the cause of my abdominal distress as well. You are very wise to seek counseling. This forum is very supportive, and RLR is fantastic! You are on the right track. Good luck and take care.  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print