Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Palpatations,tachycardia and leg pain (Read 16455 times)
samj
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Palpatations,tachycardia and leg pain
Oct 30th, 2012, 10:42pm

I have been experiencing chest pain for at least 6 weeks now .Ive had an ecg which showed sinus tachycardia.Im seeing a cardiologist this friday .Im also waiting for a 24 hour tape as well.I have had loads of blood tests as well.
My pain is a dull ache and pain on my left side up high just above my heart it is there most of the time.Its worse when im standing doing house work ,gong to the shop etc Every now and then a get a very sharp pain which makes me clutch my chest which only lasts a couple of seconds .
I get palpatations every day a few times .Heart rate is between 90-100 bpm at complete rest .As soon as i walk for even 5 mins its up to 150.I get so out of breath .

My other symptoms are
-very bad leg aches and pain even when doing nothing especially my thighs.Burning at night .
-fatigue .Tired all the time and sleep in the day as well.
-hot flashes
-numb nose and finger ?
-sharp pains in legs,shooting pains.
-bad brain fog cant remember anything

My doctor has put me on lyrica(pregabalin)have been on it for 3 months now .
As i said seeing cardio on fri and a neurologist in 4 weeks .
Has anyone any ideas what it could be ? Im barely leaving the house and have 2 kids to look after and im finding everything so hard

IP Logged
lialia
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Re: Palpatations,tachycardia and leg pain
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2012, 1:57am

Palpatations,tachycardia and leg pain

IP Logged
bayroot

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2012, 9:20am

Hi, I'm not a doctor but I've had a lot of tests.

From my understanding, if your ECG is clear its very unlikely you have any problems. ECG (as RLR states) can show any heart rhythm problems, any reduced blood flow to heart muscles and any conditions that might be causing your heart to have reduced performance.

RLR says that ECG is a brilliant tool, and that other tests are only needed to confirm any abnormalities shown on the ECG. Therefore, if the ECG is clear, then you are clear of heart disease.

The others tests like 24 hour hotler wont show anything that couldnt have been found on the ECG. I think they only give you this device as a peace of mind thing (not actually sure the reason for this test, since any problems could have been found on ECG?).

All in all, I think you will be fine.

These all sound like the same sort of symptoms that we all suffer from due to anxiety.

Did you have any significant change in life events before these symptoms? That would explain their onset.

IP Logged
samj
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2012, 11:08am

Thanks for your answer . I went to my cardiologist yesterday . He is sending me for a heart scan and stress test and 24 hr holter as he said he wants to look at what happens to my heart when my pulse goes very high on slight exercise .
I had another ECG yesterday . Results were -
Nonspecific t wave abnormality
Prolonged qt
Abnormal ecg  

??
Not sure what any of that means though .

IP Logged
samj
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2012, 11:11am

The only significant change is I had a slipped disc in my neck operated on and replaced with a cage ( ACDF ) 7 weeks ago .

IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2012, 11:35pm

@ BAyroot

the statement about an ECG or EKG is a new one for me.
I am no doc and I dont want to make things difficult but its only partly true what you wrote.

If you have only 40 or 50% artherosclerosis in one of your arteries or more and you have no angina at that moment an ECG will not detect that. Its not sensitive or specific enough for that. But you do have a growing problem. I know of many people with an arrythmia where an incidental ECG never noticed that, cause an ECG is only a temporarily measurement.  What an ECG does is looking at a specific moment if you have problems at that moment or had an attack or problem in the past.
The lead of an ECG is often misplaced so the ECG itself gives a lot of misinformation where the doc himself must interpretate the ECG to give an reasonable fair verdict.

Even a stress test is not that specific to find angina.
only stress echo;s can give you more security I've learned.

I will probably not be 100% specific about this item, but the assumption that an ok ECG means your safe is by no means a correct one

@ Samj  .. wow I do recognize a lot. my fear myself. a neuropathy ..but in my case , having the same symptoms as you, my doc wont think anything than anxiety like symptoms.

good luck

IP Logged
bayroot

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2012, 5:43am

Hey Richie,

I am just following the advice of RLR.

See here: /cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?action=print;num=1226609415

Also, my doctor confirmed what RLR says.

I am not trained in this stuff myself, so I am repeating the information given to me by people who have trained and practised for years and years.

Maybe you can ask a question to RLR if you think he is wrong? I'm not sure what the truth is, I'm just putting my faith in RLR and my doctors.

EDIT - Richie, in your own post to RLR about angina pectoris, you asked him if an ECG is enough to exclude angina, and he told you yes...

IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2012, 6:11am

@ Bayroot..

yes ..when having pain on my chest at that moment it is. otherwise its not that specific and sensitive.
I'm no doc but a well respected cardiologist told me this.
Even a stress test with EKG is not that sensitive as a stress echo

But its not my intention to question RLR, its my intention to write what I know about an EKG /ECG. An ECG by itself doesnt say that much. Even the misplacing of the lead can influence results. How many times I had septic infarct on my EKG is beyond beyond.
And when I told the,.this thing said spetic infarct, they told me ..an ECG is a stupid thing and can put fact from artifact ( this last RLR told me also by the way..when I had a non specific intraventricular guidance/conduction delay)..

its really no secret that an EKG isnt that specific and sensitive than other things like stress echos

IP Logged
bayroot

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2012, 6:45am

hey richie,

sorry if it sounded like i was arguing, im definitely not!  Smiley

but i wonder, if an ecg is not sensitive enough, why is it when you have chest pains that they do this and blood test, and if it says no they send you away?

if it isnt sensitive enough, why dont they give everyone who comes through the door with chest pain a stress echo right there on the spot to avoid any misdiagnosis?

IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - Nov 5th, 2012, 10:57am

@ Bayroot.. when you have chest pain than an ECG is ok as 1st indicator.
but you have to have chestpain at that moment.
In respect of a possible angina or arterosclerosis an ECG isnt that sensitive when at the moment they take it, you dont have chest pain.
also arrythmia;s that dont occur at that moment cant be catched.

To exclde heart problems a stress echo gives more security than an stress test with EKG.

why don;t they give you a stress echo??
beats me, it is the most sensitive and secure test but in my country its like the song of Hollywood beyond..  Whats the colour of money...!!!??

IP Logged
bayroot

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2012, 1:29pm

hmmm, i dont agree that the medical health service would avoid potentially saving a life because they dont want to spend extra money.
i think thats a bit of a pessemistic view of the health service.

i think even if that was the case, any doctor with a shred of humanity would push for extra testing if they were worried. even moreso, i think they would push for extra tests to avoid legal issues!!

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #11 - Nov 5th, 2012, 6:17pm

Okay, unless members or guests here are licensed medical doctors, the specificity of diagnostic tests and their implications merely represent subjective opinions and not professional advice.

While it is important to allow as much latitude as possible with an open forum in order to promote supportive dialogue, it is equally critical to identify parameters which must be highlighted in order to prevent mere opinions from being misinterpreted as medical advice or medical fact.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - Nov 5th, 2012, 11:07pm

hi Bayroot

Its taking a wrong turn here.
The simple fact is that in my country you dont get a stress echo , although this is one of the best things to exclude problems,
Why this is... because its more expensive than just an EKG..
its as simple as that. they only do this if they indeed think its nescessary because of the costs..
for instance I wanted a stress echo but just wont get it! reason. too expensive.
and they dont think its nescessary,
but they agreed its indeed more sensitive ans specific than just an ekg.

Again , i´m no doctor but my cardiologist  and DR Richardson on all experts told me this and i have no reason to doubt them. last one even advised me to do a stress echo to set my mind at ease cause it would be the most sensitive and specific test to be 95% sure to dont have heart problems for the next 5to7 years. this statement is researched he told me,

for now i will end this open discussion. cause it seems to backfire although what I write is for all i know as true as i can give the info, because I got it from people who should know it

quote all experts A normal stress echo gives you about 95% probability of no heart attack or cardiac death for at least 7 years.

IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - Nov 11th, 2012, 10:49pm

Stress test useful in seeing how much exercise you can tolerate, and about 50% accurate about CAD. all experts source

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print