Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
15 years of PVC terror (Read 33314 times)
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: 15 years of PVC terror
Reply #15 - Dec 20th, 2012, 9:28am

hi Martin

shake hands.

Why is it so normal to feel your heart breakdance and do a drumsolo in your chest?
I think its normal to feel a bit unease about that.
I believe in my case I reacted to extreme on it by not even daring to exercise anymore. ( and what i mean by that is even walking 30 minutes a day, so let alone my miles of running i used to do before this)

I think that is and was anxiety.
But not feeling good while having them seems normal to me.
I never had these palps and squeezes and chestpain, so i cant say its normal for me. When I got them 5 years ago, I really dont know what triggered them. and they never left. the pain didnt leave either.

So I know i'm a bit of a stubbern man but sometimes I do think that our sensations . let me stay with my own opinion. that my sensations are a bit too easy to shrug off with...come on ..just anxiety..dont bother . Its not that easy.

I do have some questions.

I always read about vagus induced palps which origin OUTSIDE the heart.  Are PVC;s and PAC's origin OUTSIDE the heart?

and how do you feel the difference?

When visiting people and my heart jumps around, how is it so simple to just do if nothing is wrong. with a bpm of 130-140 just sitting your body doesnt feel good and when it starts to skip and pain chest increases , how can I feel that as normal.
I often ask to people ,do you have this too.. no they dont..
so..how normal is it..
I keep thinking, that its not that simple. you cant turn the switch off and say ..so now its all gone.

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Reply #16 - Dec 20th, 2012, 11:05am

Hi Richie

I guess you are right: it certainly takes some time and energy to learn to "not notice" annoying heartbeats. And of course it is not "normal" to have to try to learn this. I guess "normal" is NOT feeling your heart ... And also feeling annoyed and "bad" when palps and other unpleasant heart-sensations show up.

Your question about outside ct. inside the heart:
From what I understand from RLR, PACs, PVCs and other irregularities are triggered via the vagus nerve from outside the heart. But of course the nerve-signal that is transmitted, trigger a muscular contraction in either atria or ventricle. But the electrical impulse come from outside and does not - in case of being benign - interfere with the electrical "rythm" created by the sino-atrial node. That one just go on and on.

I don't think you can feel the difference between a benign "out of order"-contraction and something originating from some heart disease. Here you have to trust the docs, the ecgs, the holters and all that.

No, I don't think you can just "switch the bothersome sensations off". And I don't think it is easy to live with it either. But I think it helps to understand that the extrabeats, the out-of-rythm beats, the tachycardia comes from "outside". And it helps if you in some way can get your anxiety diminished. And also if you can reduce certain physical factors such as the well known "not eating late", not drinking too much alcohol and coffee - you know the list. For some people (= me) these physical things contribute quite a lot.

By the way: I think they bother me LESS when I'm with other people and talk and laugh and do things together. It's as if I allow my little brain to think more about them when I'm alone.

Have a nice day!

IP Logged
Mia
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #17 - Jan 13th, 2013, 3:46pm

Dear RLR,

Thank you so much, again, for your reply!

After I've posted here I went, yet again, to the doctor. There is something new going on, a new sensation, when I'm getting the PVC's.

I started to feel them really physically, they feel different,although I have no other symptoms, my BP during them is perfectly normal. My whole body feels them, they've become heavy and "thick". I never experienced them this bad before.

I've had an echo, the doc catched a few and they were atrial. This is something new for me because every time before that they where from the lower Chambers.

Is this the reason I feel them so hard? Can you please explain...

I'll be traveling oversees ina few days and I'm so scared that I'll have them on my 10 hrs. long flight... I simply don't know how to deal with my mind that say "don't be scared" and my physical sensation, that ruins every single day when I have them...

Thank you in advance...

IP Logged
saab

Reply #18 - Jan 14th, 2013, 6:33am

I have found cognitive therapy books helpful for the anxiety that the pvcs cause. Self Help for Your Nerves by Dr Claire Weekes is fantastic, also Stop Thinking Start Living by Richard Carlson is good too, as is The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Bourne and co.

If your doctors say the palps are benign I am sure the trip will be ok. I found that working on the znxiety helped me feel better, even when the palps were bad. Best wishes.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #19 - Jan 16th, 2013, 4:41pm

Palpitations which arise during atrial depolarization rather then ventricular tend to be milder in nature because the atria are smaller in size and less forceful because of their function. Palpitations which arise during the ventricular phase are more forceful because the ventricles are much larger and their action more dynamic.

You need to relax and go have fun on your trip. These palpitations, regardless of presentation, are benign in their entirety. They have absolutely no capacity to either cause some type of cardiac event or dangerous rhythm. Think of them as a muscle twitch because this is more accurately what is occurring when the heart muscle responds to the inappropriate nerve impulses arising from the vagus nerve.

You'll be just fine. Nothing is going to happen to you.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Mia
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #20 - Feb 8th, 2013, 11:42pm

Thank you for your reply!

I understand everything you say... I guess I have to learn now to control the FEAR. This is my problem. Silly, I know.

I started to take magnesium and there is some relief at least for a week. The last few days when I lay down to sleep they start again.

I'm starting to think that I need therapy... While in Europe I've done, again, the necessary tests to excluded that anything is wrong, so - echo: ok. Thyroid: ok. BP: perfect. So I have exhausted all my excuses to go to the doctor or run to the ER...

The only thing I can think of is that I'm in a menopause for a year now, even I'm not even 50 yrs. old! I've read that the crazy hormones during this part of life can cause PVC'.

What is you opinion on this?

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #21 - Feb 14th, 2013, 4:03pm

It is well-documented that both perimenopausal and menopausal women experience benign palpitation events. These events are merely related to the increased stress upon the central nervous system which arises from hormonal variations during this timeframe.

Despite the changes being described, the events are nevertheless benign and do not place you at risk.

Best regards,

IP Logged
Mia
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #22 - Mar 4th, 2013, 12:23am

Dear RLR,

I would like to thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for your time and help!
Your words of knowledge and wisdom helped me to go trough my life affected by PVC's much  easier.

I would lie tho if I tell you that I've concurred my fears... There is an everyday battle which require strength and will, something that I'm trying to find.

There is a long way to go but I'm refusing to let the PVC's rule my life the way they do! I'm trying, very hard, to rid my life of the constant fear...

I thank you, and the members of this forum for the help! Words can't express the gratitude I feel for your existence!

IP Logged
Mia
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #23 - Mar 4th, 2013, 12:34am

Hi again Smiley

Almost forgot that I have a question:

Can you please tell me how long it is ok to take magnesium, 500mg a day? I've brought some recommended by a friend who also suffers from PVC and with a combo with vitamin B complex it was working great for about 3 Weeks! I was PVC' free and in heaven Cheesy

Unfortunately I'm back in hell since I've ran out of the 30 pills. I've ordered more from Europe because I've tried the one magnesium here and it didn't work...

I don't know if this magnesium relieve was accidental or it really helped. I have to receive my pills and try again, than I'll probably know.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #24 - Mar 11th, 2013, 5:15pm

Okay, this is a very common response for persons taking supplements with the belief that they hold the power to induce change and it's simply nothing more than a placebo effect, typically last several days to weeks before return of symptoms. It is important, however, to realize that positive change does in fact occur based upon the influence of the placebo effect and is evidence to support that the cause is entirely benign and functional in nature.

You also need to be aware that the body only needs a very discrete amount of magnesium and deficiencies are extremely rare, only encountered in the very young and geriatric populations due to dietary inconsistencies. You can obtain all the magnesium you need through a normal, healthy diet. Experimentation of this type of quite common and although not of great risk, is simply not wise. Persons who take such supplements on the advice of friends also unwittingly practice cause-and-effect thinking patterns, which reinforce beliefs that two events occurring closely in time must be related. This is not true at all. but is largely the basis for beliefs or superstitions rather than facts.

Incidentally, there is no such premise as "good" or "bad" magnesium and although the vitamin and supplement industry will claim otherwise, these preparations do not provide the broad curative outcomes being claimed. The only consequence being ultimately diminished in using them to treat palpitations is the money from your wallet.

Best regards,

IP Logged
Mia
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #25 - Mar 13th, 2013, 12:39am

Thank you very much for your reply and wise words dear RLR!

After I've read most of the threads and you post I agree with your conclusions regarding the vagus nerve. Is there anything that can stop this nerve from affecting our heart or this is something that we can't control?! (sorry for the silly question in advance  Roll Eyes

Also, I don't know how familiar are you with the female hormonal issues during menopause, but crazy hormones can affects the heart as well causing PVC's. Is a hormonal replacement therapy wise in case of treating them?

Thank you in advance  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print