Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I finally caught one! Or two.... (Read 2472 times)
zilly84
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Alaska
I finally caught one! Or two....
Dec 27th, 2012, 6:12pm

My 10 month old son was playing with the blinds so I stood up to pull them up out of his reach, and sat back down quickly. I felt the familiar feeling in  my throat so I put my hand up to my throat to feel my pulse. I felt a beat, then a pause, then a beat and another pause, then I felt a normal pulse rythem. Today I've had the most that I've felt. Three. A very small one that I felt while laying in bed on my side. I don't think most people would have noticed it but I am very aware of my heart beat because I am a palpitation sufferer. I felt it in my throat like usual. Then I had one hours later while standing up and eating a salad with kinda spicy herbs on it. I knew I'd probably have one from eating and I did. Then the one that just happened now. I texted my mom and three sisters and found out that they all have had palpitations from time to time. One of my sisters has been getting them 10+ times a day. Her doctor said they thought is was from stress. Which would make sense since her house was recently forclosed and she has three children. She hasn't gotten her heart monitored yet. My doctor is going to send a referral to a cardiologist for me but I don't think I can afford to go to them. It would be between 100-500 dollars just to be seen. My EKG was fine, I wasn't having any palps at the time. They took my blood but I have't got the results back. Do you suppose if my blood is fine then I should probably not worry too much? We really can't afford to spend $500 on my heart phobia right now. I'm getting better at dealing with them but I really want to know what is causing them, and if my heart is structurally sound.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: I finally caught one! Or two....
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2012, 8:35am

The ECG is an excellent screening tool and provides a 360 degree evaluation of the heart's electrical function, as well as the presence of certain conditions which can be further elucidated by other imaging.

You need to relax. Your tests do not indicate the presence of cardiopathology and the type of palpitation events you are experiencing do not constitute warning signs. They actually originate from outside the heart and indeed are the consequence of stress and/or anxiety. They arise from inappropriate nerve impulses traveling along vagus nerve to its terminal endings, one of which is the heart. Think of them as nothing more of a muscle twitch than any type of arrhythmia.

I'll close here by merely voicing the reality that an online forum is intended to provide medical information and not medical advice. You should never rely upon an internet resource as supplanting the direct evaluation by your doctor. It's also important to refrain from trying to second-guess the tests and results from your doctor as well. Negative test results literally mean negative and not something approximate.

You'll be fine.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print