Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New poster with some concerns (Read 4947 times)
scotdad
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

New poster with some concerns
Dec 29th, 2012, 4:47am

First post. My story is much like the others on here. Benign palpitations diagnosed after multiple ER visits, GP visits, and my cardiologist. I had all the test, Monitor EKG, Echo, blood work, and stress test. Everything came back normal.
I have had my palps under pretty good control with a combination of medicine for OCD and counseling. Within the last three days I started having some chest pains. They were stabbing pains at first around my left pec and have become more of a dull ache in the middle of my lower chest where the stomache and chest meet under the ribs. I have no other signs of any heart issue, no radiating pain, sweating, etc. My last stress test and echo were April 2011 with a follow up EKG in my cardiologist office April 2012 with everything normal. Do I go to the Doctor with these pains or are they're likely caused by the stress of the holidays. I have had some stomache issues and heartburn which I attribute to eating junk food over the holidays. I also have a routine yearly follow up with the cardiologist in April. Would my old test results still hold some validity or should I be concerned about these new pains and seek updated testing? Tired of driving my wife crazy with my constant worry since these pains started.

« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2012, 7:34am by scotdad »  
  IP Logged
scotdad
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Re: New poster with some concerns
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2012, 8:31am

I should add that I'm 46 years old 5'10" and 235 lbs. No health isssues other than high cholesterol (controlled with lipitor). Exercise doesnt seem to aggravate the pain. The opposite is true, I seem to notice it less when I'm doing something physical.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2012, 9:16am

Okay, welcome to the forum and I've read your posting and concerns.

Firstly let me qualify any response here by the fact that forums such as this one are to be relied upon for medical information rather than medical advice. Although I am a retired physician, I'll be the first to inform you that using online forums to make medical decisions regarding your healthcare is simply not prudent for obvious reasons, the least of which is the inability for direct evaluation.

Having made that qualification, sub-sternal chest pain of the quality being described is most consistent with GI distress and this would be consistent with the presence of symptoms as described. The fact that your recent stress test was clear is supportive for other causes since the development of coronary artery disease requires a number of years rather than months. So in that regard, the test does hold validity.

By the information provided, your BMI is too high and your weight should be about 170. The presence of hypercholesterolemia is a risk factor as well that should be more primarily controlled by diet and exercise rather than mere pharmacological intervention.

Lastly, you should be aware that it is often a misnomer for persons to believe that cardiac insufficiency arises only during exertion. Events arise equally during inactivity. I say this not to concern you at all, but merely to provide information more consistent with the facts.

My suggestion here is that you notify your doctor since the pain and discomfort needs to be resolved. The fact that it is likely not arising from anything cardiac related should not cause you to postpone any direct evaluation and treatment plan by your doctor.

You need to relax and simply take the time to address your concerns so that your symptoms can be abated and get you back on the proper course. You should also consider lifestyle changes which include an active exercise and diet plan to reduce your weight to within the 170 range or so, as well as dietary patterns which primarily serve to lower cholesterol levels regardless of whether a bile sequestrant such as Lipitor is used.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
scotdad
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2012, 12:11pm

Thank you for your reply. Went and had it checked today at ER. EKG was "great" blood work and chest X-ray were fine. Diagnosis was chest wall pain. I'm relieved if nothing else. Hate wasting the time of medical professionals.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2012, 3:46pm

The health concerns of patients are never considered a waste of time to a physician.

Chest wall pain is extremely common in the presence of anxiety or stress and can sometimes mimic coronary angina in the form of DaCosta's Syndrome, which is entirely benign.

Your tests do not indicate the presence of underlying factors which would be of concern.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print