Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
So scared and tired... badly need support. (Read 18154 times)
hek1981
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

So scared and tired... badly need support.
Jan 24th, 2013, 12:51pm

Wow. I cannot even explain how it feels to see that I am not alone in this. I feel completely abandoned by family. If any of them knew what this feels like, they would not be able to handle it either. I am a healthy 31 year old female. I had been relatively active until about 2 months ago when my heart started beating erratically. Several years ago I had two bouts of atrial fibrilation (both brought on by vomiting and extreme dehydration) These episodes definitely left me very scared and constantly worried about my health. But I had been pretty successful in trying to just live a normal life. Until now. I am SO scared. No one else is, only me. I cannot even explain what my heart feels like almost ALL day. It just beats all over, like there is no rhythm. It often goes over 140 bpm. I had a lot of tests done and apparently my heart is healthy! How can it be? I am currently wearing an event monitor and the dr.s office just called to let me know "they see what my heart is doing...several missed beats, but not a concern" HOW CAN THIS NOT BE A CONCERN??? I am dizzy, short of breath, weak... I feel like I cannot go on with this anymore. I was fine just a few weeks ago. I know anxiety is somehow related, but I am not any more anxious than I ever was. I was at work one day, and things were quiet, so I did some relaxation with music. I felt great... the heart was beating normal. Then the phone rang, and BOOM heart was going out of control. I am sorry this is so long. But I am so scared and I feel so alone. No one takes me seriously. I have almost called 911 at least 3 times, just today. I cannot handle this. If there is someone out there who has been dealing with this, who can shed some light or support I would so greatly appreciate it. I am at my wits end.  :'(  Also, just a side note... Sometimes it feels like this is related to my stomach, and sometimes it feels related to my inner ear. I just cannot even properly explain how horrible I have been feeling. I went from feeling healthy to feeling like a weak 90 year old in only about 2 months.

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Re: So scared and tired... badly need support.
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2013, 6:25am

Hi Hek

Not being a doctor I can only pass on to you what I have learned from "our doc" her, RLR - and other members here and elsewhere.

If you've had your heart checked (ecg and monitor ...) and it came out telling you that it is healthy, well, then it IS healthy, and you are not at the brink of a heart attack. Not at all. Of course this is first step in the procedure to get rid of/live with these things: Get your heart checked. Of course by people who you can rely on. If your heart is declared ok, trust the doctors.

However, your heart declared healthy doesn't mean that these benign palpitations don't feel terrible. They often do. That's why 100s of people post in this group.

What has been explained many times by RLR in this site is that a big nerve called the Vagus nerve connects both your GI-tract, your heart, your lungs, certain centers in the brain and more. For many reasons "faulty" impulses can start to pass throug the Vagus nerve and "hit" the heart FROM THE OUTSIDE.
Such a wayward signal can cause the hear to do extra beats. They feel different according to when in the cardiac cycle the impulses "hit" the heart. It's like a twitch in the eye: you can't control it, but it isn't the least dangerous. Also these wayward signals and the extra beats they create can make you feel that you heart is skipping a bit. And sometimes then the next beat feel very strong, hard and scary.

What can make the vagus nerve act so irritating?
"Events" in your digestive system like overeating, drinking too much alcohol or coffee. Stress and anxiety. Bending over. Lying on the side ...
If you are in a period of you life with serious problems to be sort out or important decisions to be made it can somehow - as I understand it - make the Vagus nerve more sensible and prone to send off those faulty impulses.

To me just knowing that the "problem" comes from OUTSIDE the heart helped a great deal. I've had the buggers for 8-9 years, and also telling myself with a teasing smile that I haven't died yet, and that I have ever never developed the palps into something worse, seem to help.

But I guess that many people also have to live with them, and I guess that one now and then can be lucky to find some of the culprits in creating these signals. For me that is eating and drinking too much too late before bedtime.

Your might as well seek some prof. help regarding your anxiety.

Best of luck!

IP Logged
hek1981
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2013, 8:47am

Martin, Thank you SO much for the thoughtful reply. I am very health conscious, I don't smoke, or drink... ( though maybe I should start!!) I don't touch caffeine. I eat pretty healthy. BUT I am extremely anxious by nature, and I am going through a pretty difficult time right now personally.    I am very overwhelmed with my life. So, you are saying that these insane heart beats can totally be caused by stress in my life? I am definitely not a newbie to anxiety, just this symptoms is different from anything I have ever had. I know there is a relationship between these and anxiety because when I am relaxing I can often get them to stop. I KNOW I cannot possibly be having a heart attack, I have low cholesterol and am for the most part, fit. BUT, I do feel like the electrical system in my heart is off, and I do worry that one day it will just stop. Does that make sense? But you are saying that is not how it works right? Looking through these posts, it is interesting how most of us seem to have been prone to anxiety our entire lives. So, I really do get it is anxiety related. But where does the expression "scared to death" come from? Thank you again for taking the time to respond to my post.

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2013, 8:57am

From what I've read in this forum anxiety seems to play a great part in your "electrical heart". But to say that it's TOTALLY caused by this, of course I can't know.
But i makes sense to me that dealing with anxiety must be the way forward for you.
I really don't think that the electrical system in your heart is "off", I believe that the testing you have been through would have caught that. Considering your age, I don't believe it will stop during the next 60 years og so ... But of course, one day ...

No, I believe that benign extrabeats sort of lies on top of or outside the important machinery in your heart. But as I wrote, if you are in doubt get it checked by some doc who you communicate well with.

Best of luck
Martin

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2013, 4:30pm

Okay, welcome to the forum and I've read your posting and concerns.

Firstly, it's important to be reassured that regardless of the variation from normal sensations that you are experiencing, the presence of such symptoms often occur in the presence of an entirely normal heart. Always remember that contrary to beliefs, physical symptoms are not a direct association with physical disease.

The manifestation of palpitation events most often arises subsequent to, or during, some type of life-altering event ranging from loss of a loved one, divorce, financial difficulties, and similar circumstances. It is also true that serious acute illness can subsequently produce health anxiety if symptoms arise from the anxiety which are mistakenly associated with the prior physical malady. The remainder of the symptoms you describe are highly consistent with the somatic features of significant anxiety. Realize that anxiety can extend well beyond mere situational anxiety to the level that it produces a type of fear that something serious may be occurring and yet remains undetected despite all attempts to elicit a diagnosis through clinical testing.

When anxiety reaches this level, it characteristically produces physiological changes that are universally misinterpreted as physical symptoms of an underlying disease. The constant apprehension and fear of serious illness only serves to increase the level of anxiety and symptoms become even more florid. The cyclic nature of such an exchange is what produces the chronicity in most patients and causes them to become highly vigilant in trying to find an underlying physical cause that actually does not exist.

You're going to be just fine. Always know that clinical diagnostic tests seek out markers that we, as physicians, are specifically looking for to either confirm or rule out the presence of any type of underlying problem. The fact that all of your tests were negative is unswerving evidence that the presence of such problematic features are absent.

It's also important to consider that GI difficulties in the way of acute or chronic indigestion, bloating and bowel habit changes can all produce the type of characteristic inflammation necessary to induce palpitation events. This is possible because the vagus nerve innervates the GI tract as the pneumogastric nerve. If present, a reduction in GI symptoms will result in a commensurate reduction in the palpitation events.

Again, you're going to be just fine and you are in no danger whatsoever. Spend time with the members here. Most have been on the forum for some time now and constitute an excellent resource for support and reassurance.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
hek1981
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2013, 6:22pm

RLR, thank you so much for your reply. It is so nice to have people out there that get this and care. I KNOW I have anxiety and I know it takes many forms. Its just, I felt like the anxiety expert, and then along came a brand new symptom. Its just hard. But this message board has been so helpful. Just reading through other posts. I am definitely going through a stressful period of life right now. Thank G-d nothing major, but just a lot of stressors. Thank you again RLR for your very informative reply. This message board is invaluable.

IP Logged
1890Eill
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2013, 6:34pm

Hi Heidi, first of all I'm really sorry to read about how you've been feeling. I would love to talk to you some more in depth about your situation, If you're interested feel free to contact me llie0981@hotmail.com. =) Hope things get better for ya!

IP Logged
1890Eill
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2013, 6:49pm

BTW I can't reply on here because I don't have enough posts =(

IP Logged
hek1981
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2013, 6:51pm

oh. interesting, did not know that rule. Was just curious how you knew my name Smiley

IP Logged
1890Eill
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #9 - Feb 11th, 2013, 6:53pm

"I know people have posted asking for answers from a doctor... maybe rlr? Anyway, all answers welcomed. Thanks, Heidi "

IP Logged
hek1981
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #10 - Feb 11th, 2013, 6:57pm

oh. haha. my bad... I try to be all inconspicuous. Oh well, at least you are not a stalker.

IP Logged
1890Eill
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #11 - Feb 11th, 2013, 7:03pm

=) Not at all. I hope I didnt frighten you too bad.. but I can pm now!

IP Logged
1890Eill
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #12 - Feb 11th, 2013, 7:36pm

Are you getting my msgs? Just checking to see if I'm doing it right?

IP Logged
hek1981
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #13 - Feb 11th, 2013, 8:02pm

I didn't get any messages....

IP Logged
1890Eill
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #14 - Feb 11th, 2013, 8:09pm

Are you sure? I've sent like 5! lol. Look up in the left top corner or in your profile for something that says you have new messages... or you'll have to email me if that don't work?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print