Thanks but the ache is so deep I'm so scared
I'm already on bb for a tachycardia with no cause IST Sad

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: MS Scare ????
Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2013, 5:07pm

Okay, has this been evaluated by your primary care physician by doppler studies and direct examination? When patients complain of deep aching pain, it's important to rule out DVT and regardless of age, some medications like birth control preparations can produce thrombus in some persons that often arise in the lower extremities. I say this simply to illustrate that I have no knowledge of your specific medical history and haven't the advantage of direct evaluation.  

Realize that while many features of anxiety can produce physical symptoms, the forum cannot provide a primary clinical diagnosis for obvious reasons. If you have already been to your doctor regarding the complaint, please describe his findings and/or test results and I'll be glad to help you better understand the nature of the circumstances.

Neuropathies also arise in the lower extremities and can be caused by a number of underlying conditions, as well as paresthesia from anxiety with the exception that paresthesia does not typically produce deep throbbing or aching pain but rather is more sensory in nature.

Restless Legs Syndrome, Regional Pain Syndrome and a number of other conditions also produce the symptoms your describe. Again, I merely point this out not to say that you suffer from any of these conditions, but that you must first be directly evaluated by your doctor.

If the complaint has not been addressed directly by your doctor, then simply do so and if you have further concerns, I'll be glad to speak to you about it to the extent it provides reassurance.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
80shellbell

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2013, 1:06pm

Gp has done blood tests nothing on results and on examination
Says its muscle pain but does not know why?? and prescribed tramadol could my beta blockers cause this ?? I'm so scared can I have ms ??

Thanks
Michelle

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2013, 4:37pm

Multiple Sclerosis???? Why would you content that you possibly have such a disease?

It's important for every reader of this forum to understand that the true accuracy of medical diagnosis is absolutely impossible to derive by virtue of seeking out symptom descriptions on the internet and attempting to draw some type of association with your own. Surely you don't believe that more than a decade of secondary education in the medical sciences can somehow be superseded by perusing the internet, do you?

The first presumption to make when doing so is that your chances of being even remotely accurate are less than winning the lottery three times in succession. Medical science is extremely complex and the nature of human disease demonstrates a vast array of syndromes, disorders and diseases that are differentiated by a range of factors equally diverse. Additionally, physical symptoms can be present in the entire absence of an underlying organic cause.

Extremely limited exposure to the fringes of medicine can result in the erroneous notion that it is largely driven by mere association. A word here or a description there is all that is thought necessary to derive a potentially accurate clinical picture and I'm constrained to point out that such a perspective is again, born out of very limited exposure to the vast realm of actual possibilities.

To the point, I see absolutely nothing of your symptoms to suggest the presence of a demyelinating disease such as MS. You are more likely suffering from mere myositis, or inflammation of skeletal muscle.

Please describe all of the medications you are taking, to include any statin drugs for treatment of high cholesterol. Antihypertensive agents such as beta-blockers can induce joint pain and muscle aches in some patients. I would ask at this point whether you were prescribed this medication for high blood pressure or whether it being used in the attempt to diminish the presence or frequency of heart palpitations. If so, then I would point out that such efficacy is rarely evidenced and while some patients may experience a brief respite, the palpitations soon return and this is consistent with a placebo effect of sorts.

Regardless, the symptoms would not suggest the presence of disease.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print