Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slow heart rate w/ pvcs (Read 5898 times)
esjcollege08
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Slow heart rate w/ pvcs
Feb 11th, 2013, 4:05pm

Hello rlr,

It has been a while since I've been on this site, but my heart is still acting up. I continue to suffer from a very slow (low 50s/high 40s) heart rate with less and less frequent PVCs (suction feeling in my throat). Lately I have noticed that whenever I get up from a seated or lying down position, my heart beats really hard, but does not speed up until I am up for 10 seconds or so. During this time, my heart beats REALLY HARD and REALLY SLOW. It feels as if there is blood pooling in my neck for 3-5 seconds until my heart speeds up enough to pump it up to my brain.

I dont get very dizzy when it happens, it just feels extremely uncomfortable and it feels like its putting a lot of strain on my heart. all of this started after my first PVC's, which you have already convinced me are harmless. The PVCs themselves are more likely to occur when i stand up and my heart is beating really slow, and hard.

Is bradycardia with slow, pounding, heart that triggers PVCs anything of concern to you? Indicative of any physiological problem?

I am 22 yo male. 5'11" 186lbs. I have a history of prior cocaine use (for about 2 years...quit 2 years ago). Cardiologist says my heart is fine, and I'm guessing it is too...just want to know why these symptoms wont go away.

Thanks!

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Slow heart rate w/ pvcs
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2013, 4:25pm

Whenever you rise quickly from a seated or lying position, the body must compensate for gravity force upon the vascular network with the primary goal of maintaining adequate perfusion to the brain. Whenever challenge is posed, tiny baroreceptors in the ascending carotid arteries detect changes in pressure and if significant enough to challenge perfusion, the cardiac center of the brain reacts.

The quickest method by the brain and body to restore adequate perfusion is to increase cardiac force, which you experience as firm definitive heart beats otherwise characterized as pounding heart. Heart rate secondarily rises in this instance because of apprehension of the event and what it may constitute.

It's an entirely normal physiological reaction. Certain drugs and supplements can induce bradycardia, or heartbeats less that 55bpm, and although not harmful, can cause you to experience syncope, or fainting, if sufficient enough. Hypotensive states are not uncommon with bradycardia as well.

I see nothing of your description to suggest that anything is medically wrong with you. You'll be fine.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print