Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gallbladder Palpitations RLR (Read 8607 times)
Seabass17
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Gallbladder Palpitations RLR
Feb 13th, 2013, 11:37am

I am getting my gallbladder removed next week after a HIDA scan revealed that it was functioning at 0%. I have pain on my right side just below my ribs that hurts to walk or sometimes breath. It goes into my back sometimes and is much worse at night. Tremendous pressure in my stomach and chest all day.

Everything I eat bothers it. However, I have noticed a trend where any time I eat anything with fat in it, about 4 hours later I get a bout of palpitations.

Last night I bought a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, took all the skin off it, ate just the white meat, but it still felt really greasy. Like clockwork 3-4 hours later I had palpitations. The last time I had them to that degree was last month when I had two slices of pizza, and the month before when I ate a slice of cheesecake.

What would set off palpitations after eating fat? Would it just be the gallbladder is spasming and aggreviated my vagus nerve?

I am not really anxious about it, would just like to know how it all works.  Smiley

Thanks.
Jeff

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Gallbladder Palpitations RLR
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2013, 5:26pm

Well, the gall bladder is not actually inducing the palpitation events but rather the absence of requisite bile to the duodenum is creating GI bloating and inflammation because the proteins in the food product being consumed is unable to be sufficiently broken down to a normal state of chyme necessary for further digestion.

Any GI disturbance capable of producing upward pressure against the diaphragmatic muscle architecture will be sufficient to produce vagus nerve-induced palpitation events, otherwise known as a gastro-cardiac response.

I would advise dietary restrictions until such time that you can undergo cholecystectomy. Subsequently, you will nevertheless have to endure temporary dietary changes until your body adjusts adequately to absence of the organ.

You'll be fine.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Seabass17
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2013, 12:55pm

So I had my gall bladder removed last Tuesday, and I am still dealing with the same pain I was prior to the removal. Pressure in my upper stomach that intensifies during the day. Sometimes this pressure is in my chest, especially if I am walking. I thought it was heart related, but it will also go away in the middle of walking. It comes and it goes all day depending on body position. Same with the heart palpitations. Since it moves around, is it a possibility that its gas? I can lean on my side sitting down and feel okay, the minute I sit up straight, my chest tightens up and I get a heart skip. Same with waking up, I can feel nothing at all while lying in bed, the minute I sit up, I get chest and stomach pressure. I have had a upper scope, an abdominal CT scan, many x-rays. Just the gall bladder not functioning was all they could tell me.

I understand that gas and bloating can cause pressure on the diaphragm, which can cause these events. I have monitored how I eat and drink. I eat very slowly, I never drink while eating. I dont know why its happening.

I know its only been a week. I still have horrible bloating, and now I dont know where to turn. I really hoped the gall bladder removal would fix my problems. Not the case so far.

IP Logged
ncmimi
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2013, 6:23pm

Seabass17...I had so many of your stated symptoms.  After gallbladder surgery I felt much worse  for about four weeks.  After about 12 weeks my palpitations reduced significantly.  Now, nearly a year later, I can say my palpitations have not stopped completely, but only a couple a day...mostly from gas build up or body position, hunger, etc.  Be patient I think you will see a difference. Smiley

IP Logged
Seabass17
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2013, 9:10pm

Thanks for your response, ncmimi. Did you feel pretty much the same pains afterwards? Feels like they didn't even take it out. Although today it seemed I had a little less bloating.

IP Logged
ncmimi
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2013, 11:10am

Seabass17 ..yes I did have some of the, seemingly, same pain and alot of reflux and heartburn for a couple of months after surgery. Occasionally, I still have the same type and location of pain as before surgery, but much much less intense, truly, I hardly pay any attention to it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print