Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RLR - shortness of breath after alcohol (Read 9644 times)
bayroot

Heart Palpitations
Forum

RLR - shortness of breath after alcohol
Mar 4th, 2013, 5:58am

Hi,

I did a naughty thing and binge drank on Friday. I also smoked a few cigarettes and I'm not a smoker. I've been feeling short of breath since, and this is the 3rd day now.

I usually have SOB as an anxiety symptom, but this has been almost constant for 3 days now. I have experienced momentary relief when occupied with things, but I don't know whether its still there and im just not paying attention to it or not.
Admittedly I have felt some mild GI problems during this time too. Also, i feel that if i intake a deep breath my chest is mildly restricted. My legs also ache a lot, and I feel musky lightheaded. Lightheadedness is not often though, and my legs probably ache from dancing loads. I did considerably more exercise than normal.

I cant get to my doctor and Google will tell me I am dying. I'm not gasping for air, but i keep having to take deep breaths. No other symptoms.

Could the alcohol have done damage? It has improved, today is the most relief I  have felt, but its still there mildly. I had some pains around my ribs before, but they have gone. I was dancing for hours and im not used to exercise so I think that caused the pain.

It also feels like i cant get enough air in through my nose, even though my nose is not blocked.

« Last Edit: Mar 04th, 2013, 7:02am by bayroot »  
  IP Logged
Mia
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Re: RLR - shortness of breath after alcohol
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2013, 11:58pm

Hi,

I'm sure the good Doc. RLR will explain to you better what is going on but I'll share few of my experiences to help you feel better. Smiley

In my case a few glasses of good red wine do miracles to my PVC's - IT MAKES THEM DISAPPEAR! Like a magic wand - they are gone! It last until the wine wears off and than all starts again. I'm not an regular drinker but I like to have wine with my dinner. If I drink more than usual tho I'll wake in the mid of the night and my heart will race like crazy. Very uncomfortable. I usually take a couple of Valeriana pills and goback to sleep.

Also, I don't feel my PVC's at night, they doesn't wake me up but at the moment I open my eyes, 5 min later they start like someone switches them off! Very frustrating.

I also have those episodes of not being able to take a deep breath most of the time I'm alone. All that is anxiety, I know. I try immediately to occupy my brain with something and than voila - I'm breathing normal again!

I'll advise you, if you have ruled out an underlying health problem, to visit this forum and read it as much as you can - it will help you tremendously!

If RLR don't mind, can you please tell me what the wine have to do with diminishing the PVC's completely for a period of time and why when I wake up free of PVC's they stsrt again 5-10 min. afterwards?!

IP Logged
bayroot

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2013, 12:31am

Hi MIA,

Thanks. Im definitely not worried about my heart, i was worried about my lungs. I haven't had an palps or pain during this time.

Sob doesn't usually bother me at all, I'm used to it. It's just because I drank so much (like probably 20+ drinks) that I thought it might not be anxiety. Binge drinking is dangerous.

In any case, its gone now, so ill chalk it up to anxiety/nervous system!

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2013, 5:38pm

Okay, no long-term damage done here other than to serve as reminder that both alcohol and tobacco products are actually toxic to some extent.

The sensations are due to an influx of nicotine and the effects in persons not acclimated to the use of tobacco products can persist for as much as a week in some instances. Binge drinking can also produce its own sensorium, with the effects mentioned being quite common.

Also realize that alcohol of certain types can produce vasomotor rhinitis, or swelling of the mucous membranes in response to coginers which develop in alcohol products during distillation. This too, is temporary.

I would also submit here that being naughty to this extent is probably better resolved during confessional with the religious figure of your choosing. The forum is really more suited to the discussion of medical conditions beyond the patient's control, rather than in consequence to it.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print