Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Time to visit the doctor? (Read 5677 times)
NathanB
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Time to visit the doctor?
Mar 10th, 2013, 4:06pm

Hey.  So I've been experiencing frequent palpitations lately and not sure it warrants a doctor's visit this time.  I'm 20 years old, 6 foot 1 inch, 140 lbs (pretty skinny) and only real health problems the past few years have been Generalized Anxiety.

I've been experiencing palpitations that feel like a flutter and cause me to cough for around two months now.  They seem to only be triggered while I'm lying down.  I've been having about 3-5 per day.  Some days I won't get any, but it's been pretty rare.

Since I do have a history of anxiety, I'm not sure it's not related to that.  I have been having other symptoms that are anxiety-related such as chest, arm and back pain from tension, chest muscle twitches, frequent tension headaches and dizziness.  For the most part these are all present when I go through bouts of high anxiety.  The two things I see as red flags from the symptoms are being dizzy and prominent veins.

Ever since the day after the first of this streak of palpitations I've felt almost constantly a little dizzy.  Also for the past several months I've noticed more prominent, bulging veins particularly in my hands and feet which make me worry about my blood's circulation.  Nights and mornings they seem the most obvious.

Back to the palpitations though, they seem to come on when I feel the most relaxed and when I change positions.  Two examples of changing positions that brought it on happened today.  The first happened when I went from lying on my back to slightly on my right side and it happened.  The second, I had just taken the trash out and went to lye on my back.  Once I lyed down, I got a brief headrush followed by a palpitation.

The last time I went to the doctor because of anxiety was two years ago.  He did an EKG, chest X-ray, and blood test all came back negative.  I'm sure it could be anxiety related, but I'm also worried about heart problems like MVP it could be.  What's your opinion?

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Time to visit the doctor?
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2013, 6:22pm

Mitral Valve Prolapse? Other than seeking out medical literature on the internet, what would possibly make you believe that you have MVP?

Realize that palpitations and panic disorder can arise in certain persons with symptomatic Mitral Valve Prolapse, but is most commonly encountered in females in their early to mid-twenties. It is not a condition that manifests symptoms in all persons. Additionally, mild MVP is an entirely normal and benign variant encountered during routine evaluation and not in response to symptom complaint by the patient.

It's also very important to make clear distinction between lightheadedness and true vertigo, or dizziness. Many persons with significant anxiety feel lightheaded and this is mostly due to shallow breathing which produces mild changes in blood gases, particularly CO2. Patients commonly remark that they feel somewhat like they might faint, but never actually do so. The sensation may at times also be accompanied by pressure felt in the neck or head, but this is sensory disturbance-related and not associated with high blood pressure.

Prominent veins in the extremities are not associated with circulation and are more commonly distended as a matter of genetic predisposition. You are far too young for consideration of cardiovascular compromise of any kind and speculation on your part regarding this potential is nothing more than irrational fears arising from physiological manifestations of anxiety which you are incorrectly interpreting as signs of disease or illness.

Experiencing a "head rush" when lying down or standing is again, a normal physiological response to stress or anxiety. Changes in blood pressure are commonly responsible for such sensations and the heart commonly responds by pounding as a result of increased cardiac force.

The fact that you notice these sensations more prominently in the morning and at night is because these are two distinct periods when changes in blood pressure are most likely. When rising in the morning, blood pressure rises to prepare the body for the day's activities. At night, blood pressure tends to fall in preparation for rest and sleep and during periods of anxiety and/or stress, the detection of these changes, collectively known as orthostasis, is typically perceived to be something wrong.  

In sum, I see absolutely nothing of your symptoms to suggest that anything serious is taking place at all. You need to learn to recognize common errors in thinking when physiological changes arise that seem unfamiliar to you but yet do not constitute a danger.

Try and relax. You're in no danger whatsoever.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
NathanB
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Re: Time to visit the doctor?
Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2013, 11:32am

Ok, thanks a lot for you quick and thorough reply.  I've managed to brush off most of my bouts of anxiety, but this made me a little worried since my heart was experiencing something other than beating faster than usual.

I'll try to stretch and exercise a bit more as well as avoid looking up my anxious symptoms on the web and thinking the worst

Thanks again

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print