Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ongoing heart palpitations - need advice! (Read 9216 times)
rich_kiwi
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Ongoing heart palpitations - need advice!
Mar 12th, 2013, 1:27pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and have been dong A LOT of reading online the last few weeks about this, and my story will sound very familiar to a lot of you. About 5 weeks ago I started experiencing heart palpitations, and they have not stopped. They are constant, about 5-6 a minute, all day everyday. I am quitting smoking and probably drink much more than I should, but I am cutting back. I am 34 years old, no history of heart disease in the family.

I went to the doctor and had a 15 second EKG, which was fine, and blood work was all normal apart from mildly low levels of vitamin D3. It feels likes my heart skips a beat and then there is a larger beat after a pause. I am starting to get very worried because they have been going on for so long and there has been no sign of improvement. I am going in tomorrow to get a 48 hour Holter monitor.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Richard

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Re: Ongoing heart palpitations - need advice!
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2013, 3:39pm

Hello Richard

I'm no doctor, but have been around in here for a while, and what you experience sounds, as you write, very familiar.

It seems that the first step in any procedure to deal with this is done, which is contacting a doctor and get ekg and holter done. And if the doc says your heart is fine, trust him!

You can read it many times in this forum in answers from dr. Rane, and what causes benign palpitations is either anxiety/stress which makes your autonomous nervous system react different - maybe makes it more sensible - and thereby the vagus nerve which connects both the gi-tract, brain, lungs and heart, can "fire off" wayward impulses. These can, when they "hit" the heart, make it beat at times when it shouldn't.
But note that this is something originating from outside the heart. That knowledge was a big comfort for me.

But also "events" in stomach and intestines can make the vagus nerve "electrical". I have experienced a lot of my "spells" of palps after good dinners with lots of wine. So I try to cut late (over)eating and drinking a lot.
Maybe it would be a good idea to cut wine and booze completely for a month or so, but allow yourself an occasional beer or two instead? Won't hurt anyway ...

Just my thoughts. Good luck. Benign palps are not dangerous, but annoying like hell!

Martin

IP Logged
Mia
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2013, 12:59am

Hello Martin  Smiley

While RLR is away and you are one of the people who have been here longer I would like to ask you: how do we know that the palps originate from outside the heart?

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2013, 1:16am

From what I know - not being a doctor:

BENIGN palps originate from outside the heart. I think that palpitations CAN be caused by disease and malfunction within the heart, but in that case it will show when doctors test you ekg and other tests.

I remember RLR having written something about surgeons during operations (way back in the 20'ies) had detected that unusual impact upon the vagus nerve can cause the heart to beat out of rythm.

IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2013, 4:14am

its like Martin says.

If you were tested by a cardiologist. preferably ECG/EKG, Echo, Stress test, Holter and so on. I dont say you need ALL of them, but the more you had the more sure you can be, than your palps almost 100% certainly are benign.

In my case they present themselves when my large intestine and stomach are feeling full, bloated with gass, I burp alot and get spasms and skipped beats way more often than. this due to pressure from intestines to your diaphragm and how the vagus nerve is situated in this area and the way it works. Sometimes they are gone for weeks and than poooof back with a vengeance. I can honestly say that it feels terrible but the last months i know understand that not being afraid of it helps. So i'm not getting them so much from anxiety anymore , in my case its more related to stomach and lasrge intestine ( gass, air, acid) which by the way can be a symptom of anxiety also, so its difficult to say when anxiety plays a part or not.

so get tested and when everything is ok.. its almost certainly benign

IP Logged
bayroot

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2013, 11:08am

Mia wrote on Mar 13th, 2013, 12:59am:
Hello Martin  Smiley

While RLR is away and you are one of the people who have been here longer I would like to ask you: how do we know that the palps originate from outside the heart?

Thanks in advance.

From what RLR has said countless times:

If you have an ECG and its normal, your palpitations are fine. There is no way you can have a normal ECG and have palps that are dangerous.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print