Send Topic Print
Abnormal ECG - help (Read 6059 times)
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Abnormal ECG - help
Mar 14th, 2013, 8:57am

Hello
I'm hoping rlr can take a peep at what I've said when he's back. I know he's off doing good things for little ones, so I will be patient.

Have been having ectopics for years now - many, many of them. But I live with that.

Have had a couple of little niggles recently that led to GP doing an ECG, and it not being right. T-wave inversion was mentioned.

I have just been to see cardiologist today and he informed me that all my ECGs have been abnormal over the years. This is the first time that I have been told this. By abnormal I presume he means the T-wave inversion which the GP picked up on? Does this mean abnormal?

The word abnormal has of course sent me into a spin of worry? Should I? I am being sent for a treadmill test soon, and have had a normal scan of heart (not MRI, but just the ultrasound one.)

Is this significant?

I'm getting on a bit at 44, but count myself as pretty active and fit with regular gym (3 times per week) and run when weather is good (not so good recently, before Christmas was regularly running 3 miles without much trouble).

Would really appreciate rlr's input, or anyone else who has experience of the phrase t-wave inversion or abnormal ecg.

beadbabe

IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Abnormal ECG - help
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2013, 9:05am

I'm no doc

but there is something that is called benign T wave inversion
So why didnt your cardiologist and doc told you what was going on?
I quess thats what they are there for. to Explain you the abnormalty..did they do that?

cause it could mean something is going on too

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2013, 9:10am

Really all he said was well these dips here should not be here in these leads. To which I could only nod sagely. Of course, I'm no expert. The cardiologist has just said let's see what happens with the treadmill test. The dips could be caused by the leads being in slightly different position, but repeat ecgs with the same findings show the same 'problem'.

How funny is it that it's called a 'stress test'? I would say the stress test is sending me home and seeing how I cope with being told I have an abnormal ecg. *trying to see the funny side*

IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2013, 7:19pm

Well doctors don't generally send people who are in immediate danger back home, do they? I think based on that alone, a little relaxation is in order. Doctors often use unnerving words when you speak to them, like the time I went to A&E regarding anxiety induced chest pain and was told by the doctor, who entered from behind the curtain with a sinister look on his face: "there's nothing seriously wrong with your heart", which to my anxious mind meant "there is something wrong... it just isn't serious (yet)". I actually told him he looked like he had bad news for me, which surprised him. I then questioned him and was hoping for a "yes" or "no" when I asked him if my heart was okay, but he wouldn't oblige. I don't know why doctors don't just say "I couldn't find anything wrong with your heart" or "your heart is fine, nothing is wrong with it", but they just don't.

I know your ECG actually did have something "abnormal", but if it has been there for years and the doctor never even bothered telling you, maybe that's significant? The word abnormal can be overused anyway, since isn't a simple vagus-induced palpitation technically able to produce "abnormal" functionality of the heart?

Also seeing as how you're used to running, surely you aren't worried about the stress test? You already know you're fine after running outdoors, and will be fine after running in the doctors office as well.

Crohn's disease (active terminal ileitis) - diagnosed 2007. Taking: Imodium 2mg x 2 daily. 25 years old (updated 10-June-2013).
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print