Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do you know if your palps are vagus induced? (Read 5078 times)
KittyCat
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

How do you know if your palps are vagus induced?
Mar 14th, 2013, 5:08pm

I keep reading RLR refer to palps as benign when they are induced by the vagus nerve. Well...how do you know if the palps are vagus nerve induced? What are other reasons for PVCs/PACs?

I've had a stress test and echo, which were normal, although I keep putting out abnormal EKGs (non-specific T-wave abnormality), which my cardio isn't concerned about.

My concern is that I get runs of PACs. This IS documented on my event recorder. My cardio just said, "Ya...you had a few couplets and one triplet, but otherwise, normal results". Well...to me, that's like saying, "Ya...you have no cancer in your liver or kidneys, just a few cancer cells in the spleen, so otherwise normal results. Have a nice life."

I realize that the Internet is BAD, BAD, BAD but everywhere I read says that RUNS are BAD, BAD, BAD.

I realize RLR is absent right now, but can anyone explain to me how you know when your palps are induced from the vagal nerve and when they are not? Thanks.

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Re: How do you know if your palps are vagus induced?
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2013, 11:28pm

I think the logic here is that if your palps are NOT caused by things you can see on an ekg etc., they must be vagus-induced.

I don't think - but don't know for sure either - that any test exists that positively can SHOW whether they are vagus induced.

IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Re: How do you know if your palps are vagus induced?
Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2013, 6:31pm

Maybe if you wired yourself up to some kind of full body electro-something-o-gram, you could detect where the nerve impulses were coming from.

I don't know why diseased hearts are at risk when vagus-induced palpitations occur, but I think it may be something to do with the fact that the heart becomes so enlarged with diseases like cardiomyopathy, the vagus nerve impulses are able to trigger abnormal rhythms such as ventricular tachycardia, leading to ventricular vibrilation, thus causing the enlarged heart to become very inefficient at pumping blood and in turn at risk of an ischemic (lack of oxygen) event.

I think the bottom line is: healthy hears are at no risk, diseased hearts are. It doesn't matter where your palpitations are coming from or how they're working, as long as your heart is healthy they can't harm you.

Crohn's disease (active terminal ileitis) - diagnosed 2007. Taking: Imodium 2mg x 2 daily. 25 years old (updated 10-June-2013).
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print