Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Link between stress and vagal nerve stimulation (Read 13497 times)
Jonp
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Link between stress and vagal nerve stimulation
Mar 16th, 2013, 9:48am

Hi All

I am new to this forum and pleased to have found it.  I have had the usual tests to discover the cause of my symptoms (including palps) and, as they were all negative, my doctor has advised ignoring the symptoms.  The various posts and advice here confirms this and that is reassuring.  

I am interested to know what the link is between vagal nerve stimulation and stress/anxiety.

My problems started three years ago when, after playing my favourite sport of table tennis (inexpertly but very intensely) on a full stomach, I sat down and realised that my heart was beating fast and I felt slightly dizzy though I had not felt any problems during the exercise.  This happened a few times and my doctor put it down to hyperventilation together with the stress (excitement) of the game.

Over the next year the problems increased whenever I played table tennis; I began to get palpitations and then skipped beats which would take up to 30 minutes to stop.  I was always burping.  I had to stop playing.  Other exercise caused no similar effect.

In the last year, with increasing stress in my life, I have had frequent bouts of palpitations and missing beats, mainly at times of relative inactivity, but ALWAYS associated with a "bubbling" stomach or trapped wind requiring a good burp to relieve it.

Following the negative tests and my doctor's reassurance, I am trying to return to normal life.  I have stopped the anti-depressants that he prescribed and am trying to control my over-breathing with exercises.  I have even started playing table tennis again.

I understand that stress can cause hyperventilation (and excess adrenaline) which can cause swallowed air which can stimulate the vagal nerve which can cause palpitations etc. but this seems too simple and I have not found this in any threads here or elsewhere.  This seems to explain my particular problems but am I missing another link.  Does stress/anxiety predispose some people to vagal nerve stimulation?

I look forward to hearing if others have had similar experiences.

Many Thanks

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Re: Link between stress and vagal nerve stimulation
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2013, 9:50am

Yes - stress and anxiety play a huge role in the frequency of palpitations in many of us.

I won't attempt to explain why, but rest assured if you can deal with stress and anxiety you will go a long way to reducing your symptoms.

Beadbabe Smiley

IP Logged
Leesamarie
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

North Palm Beach, Florida
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2013, 5:20am

Jonp; I have the exact same thing, always accompanied by trapped air and goes completely away after burping (lovely I know)  Roll Eyes

I have been told by multiple doctors that when we're anxious we gulp/swallow air, and anxious people also tend to breath shallow.

I have been working on my breathing with breathing exercises. You could try a guided meditation, or Dr. Weil has a breathing exercise for relaxation:

"Exercise 2:
The 4-7-8 (or Relaxing Breath) Exercise
This exercise is utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere. Although you can do the exercise in any position, sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.

Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
Hold your breath for a count of seven.
Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
Note that you always inhale quietly through your nose and exhale audibly through your mouth. The tip of your tongue stays in position the whole time. Exhalation takes twice as long as inhalation. The absolute time you spend on each phase is not important; the ratio of 4:7:8 is important. If you have trouble holding your breath, speed the exercise up but keep to the ratio of 4:7:8 for the three phases. With practice you can slow it all down and get used to inhaling and exhaling more and more deeply.

This exercise is a natural tranquilizer for the nervous system. Unlike tranquilizing drugs, which are often effective when you first take them but then lose their power over time, this exercise is subtle when you first try it but gains in power with repetition and practice. Do it at least twice a day. You cannot do it too frequently. Do not do more than four breaths at one time for the first month of practice. Later, if you wish, you can extend it to eight breaths. If you feel a little lightheaded when you first breathe this way, do not be concerned; it will pass.

Once you develop this technique by practicing it every day, it will be a very useful tool that you will always have with you. Use it whenever anything upsetting happens - before you react. Use it whenever you are aware of internal tension. Use it to help you fall asleep. This exercise cannot be recommended too highly. Everyone can benefit from it."

Lisa Marie
  IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2013, 7:03pm

Dr. Rane has talked about this is the past and it seems there is indeed a link between stress & anxiety and vagus-induced palpitations.

The part of the nervous system we're interested in is the autonomic nervous system, which is comprised of several parts: the sympathetic nervous system, the parasympathetic nervous sytem and the enteric nervous system. Ignore the latter since it isn't involved.

Anyway, RLR has often compared the sympathetic and parasympathic nervous systems to the gas and brake pedal in your car. The sympathetic nervous system (gas pedal) is there to prepare you to fight or run from danger (fight-or-flight), and the parasympathetic nervous system (brake pedal) does the opposite (rest and digest).

When you are anxious or stressed, the sympathetic nervous system (gas pedal) becomes more active than the parasympathetic system, and as a result your brain will cause your body to prepare for danger by increasing heart rate, blood pressure and lung action, liberating nutrients such as glucose and fat for your muscles, improving binocular vision (forward-facing vision), amonst others. Because of the increase in activity in this part of your nervous system, there is much a greater chance of rogue nerve impulses firing seemingly at random (though I cannot explain why this is). If one of these nerve impulses is intercepted by the heart, a palpitation event may occur. This is also the reason why you may feel the event in your lungs and throat since these areas are also able to intercept the impulses.

Suffice to say, stress and anxiety does affect your body physically and can increase the indicence of vagus-induced palpitations.

If you want a detailed explanation regarding the above, I'm afraid you'll have to wait for Dr. Rane to return to the forum since I am unable to elaborate.

Crohn's disease (active terminal ileitis) - diagnosed 2007. Taking: Imodium 2mg x 2 daily. 25 years old (updated 10-June-2013).
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login
  IP Logged
Jonp
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2013, 9:20am

Thank you all.  Leesamarie, I am trying breathing exercises and these seem to help.  The method I am using is based on Buteyko breathing which reduces and slows the breath.  I also tape my mouth closed to sleep and when I play table tennis!  That causes some amusement at my club but it is helping to stop me swallowing air. If it does not work long-term I will try your deep, slow breathing advice.  

George, I particularly like your idea of "rogue" nerve impulses.  That's just what it feels like.  Just need to get the blighters under control.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print