Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My worrysome symptoms. Are they just anxiety or no (Read 6352 times)
chrisp
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

My worrysome symptoms. Are they just anxiety or no
Mar 20th, 2013, 3:13am

I am 30 years old, and have never had many health concerns before (I used to be very athletic up until 5 years ago, and i gained 30 lbs since). I had a traumatic experience where I 100% thought I was dying from ingesting too much marijuana brownie (my first and last experience with any drug). Ever since that night I have had the following symptoms that I get so afraid of that it gives me constant anxiety and occasional panic attacks.

-light/dark purple coloration near the crescent/base of my finger and toe nails, going up about halfway. they become a bit more normal pink near the tip of the nails. The more anxiety I have and coser i get to panicking, the darker purple they seem.

-my hands and feet get cold when the above symptom happens. makes me think of my circulation.

-i can feel my heartrate throughout my body, and they seem worse (or more noticeable) when i try to lay down and sleep.

-sometimes when i take a deep breath (especially while lying supine) I can feel something squishy as my lungs reach full expansion).

I have had an ekg, 24hr holter monitor, stress test, complete blood count (all normal except slightly high triglycerides and bad cholesterol), thyroid test, and they all were normal according to a cardiologist.

I am able to play tennis and do some jogging without becoming short of breath, and most of these symptoms are gone or lessened on days where i exercies or have lots of social interaction (i think i am suffering from depression too).

If I had to pick one f those symptoms to get a good reply for it would be the fingernail coloration, as that seems to be my #1 trigger for creating anxiety ad leading to panic. I just want to know if the half purple, half pink fingernails is normal, and if it is caused by the anxiety or not. Thank you so much.

IP Logged
Leesamarie
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

North Palm Beach, Florida
Re: My worrysome symptoms. Are they just anxiety or no
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2013, 5:48am

I don't have much to offer re: the purple nail symptom, but a few things stood out in your post.

1. Symptoms started after a traumatic experience
2. The more anxiety you have, the darker purple your nails seem
3. Symptoms seem better on days you exercise (which reduces adrenaline) or have social interaction (your mind is on something other than your symptoms).

All those statements point to this being an anxiety issue.

Symptoms of something serious likely won't lessen simply because you aren't paying attention to them. It looks like you've had a comprehensive cardiac work up and everything has come back fine.

I always feel better when I am actively doing something in regards to a symptom, even though in my head I know the symptom is anxiety. I think it's a control thing LOL. If it were me, I would focus on diet and exercise.

Cholesterol - I would look at your diet. Reduce grains (absolutely all bleached flour, rice, and sugar needs to go), eliminate processed foods, and add as many raw vegetables to your diet as possible. Juicing would be a great option. I don't agree with the mainstream medical belief that elevated cholesterol is caused by eating fat, I believe it is an inflammatory response due to eating too many grains, too much fructose (throw out anything that has high fructose corn syrup in it, which will be 90% of your processed foods unless they're organic), and too much sugar.

Cayenne pepper - will nourish the heart and circulatory system, improve circulation, normalize blood pressure, and it is anti-inflammatory so it should help with your elevated cholesterol. I make a tea out of it with 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and 1/2 cup warm water. You get used to it. And search for a decent organic cayenne, anything on the grocery shelf will be irradiated and not helpful.

Garlic - Reduce cholesterol, inflammation, and help with detoxification. I crush up a garlic clove and swallow it with my fresh pressed juice.

Keep exercising. If the jogging stresses you out because you feel short of breath, do more brisk walking while listening to music.

Lisa Marie
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Re: My worrysome symptoms. Are they just anxiety or no
Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2013, 6:32am

Not a doctor, but I think if you've had your heart checked I would say you don't have to invest much more thought in this...

Nail colour - can vary a little depending on your temperature. Depends for me on how warm I am or not. Tiny circulation changes can make colour of your nails look different at different times. Stress can probably affect this - stress can do all sorts. If you pinch your nails they go white, and then go back to normal.

If you tend to hyperventilate through anxiety / panic, there can be tiny blood gas changes (harmless but can cause odd sensations!), and wouldn't surprise me if that could cause temporary changes.

Also, the skin colour under my nails varies from what I would say is light/pinkypurple to white. It's totally normal. I wouldn't even put a second thought to that unless your fingers look dramatically different to most other peoples'.

I wouldn't worry - if you can't get the worries out of your head because every time you see them it makes you think about it, paint them Smiley Or perhaps not, if you're male! Grin

Hope we're reassuring you Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print