Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Interesting - Heart rate and posture (Read 4025 times)
Brittany
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Interesting - Heart rate and posture
Mar 20th, 2013, 12:33pm

Hi there,

I've been having an interesting issue lately that's a little bit beyond my control at this point.

I will preface this by saying that my posture is beyond terrible, and I'm, at this point, finding it hard to stand without becoming terribly dizzy and gain significant tension with my back.

I started to become obsessed with my heart rate some time around last week when I was in the car and my heartrate was around 95. The reason I felt it was because I felt tense and unwell.

Since that point, I've been checking my heart rate in excess of 100 times a day. Along with occasional bouts of PVCs, general tension, aches and pains, and a lot of sudden speeding up during the night, I've found that my spinal position was affected.

When I'd got out of the car to go to the bathroom after a severe panic attack, my heart rate toppled straight to 75, then back in the car, 100.

In my chair, when I sit upright, my heart rate, again, is around 95 and stays there. However, when this high rate scares me a little too much, I tend to slouch, and immediately the heart rate drops to 70-75 after a little bit of time to slow down.

During the fast heart rates, it always feels as though I have tension in my back, chest and the likes.

I also noticed that when cycling, my heart rate peaks around 180 when I'm doing light cycling. However during jogging, my heart rate peaks around 150 when I'm going a little bit harder.

This postural effect is quite odd, and it's causing me to actively slouch in my chair to avoid the fast heart rate.

Any suggestions here?

- Brittany

IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Re: Interesting - Heart rate and posture
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2013, 5:47pm

I used to notice this as well. I first realised it was happening when I was using my stationary bike around 3 years ago and I'd feel my heart beating faster if I straightened my back and sat upright in the seat. Then if I slouched forwards and grabbed the handle bars, my heart rate dropped by 5-10 beats per minute. I actually used to cheat and use this to get my heart rate up a little more without having to do any extra work  Grin. I have also noticed this when sitting in the car, normal chairs and standing. I tend not to pay attention to stuff like this anymore, but I'm sure it's still there.

I'm not sure why it happens, but I think it may have something to do with blood pressure. When you stand up, gravity is pulling all the blood in your body towards your feet, so to compensate for the downward shift in blood pressure, your heart beats faster and/or harder. It could be the same reason your heart rate speeds up when you change position. You might also notice your heart rate slows down when you're lying in bed or on the sofa.

Crohn's disease (active terminal ileitis) - diagnosed 2007. Taking: Imodium 2mg x 2 daily. 25 years old (updated 10-June-2013).
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print