Need some reasurance (Read 5308 times)
K9LOVE
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Need some reasurance
Mar 23rd, 2013, 4:15am

Hi all Im new here, here's my story.

I started having palpatations a few weeks ago, went to docs who did an ECG, nothing unusual on it apart from slight irregularity that doc wasnt concerned about, how can they tell when the ECG was only 15 seconds and I didnt feel any palpatations at the time?

Anyway Im getting them every day now! start at different times of the day Embarrassed no real pattern to them but eating seems to trigger them?

Checking my pulse the rythmn is one two three stop, one two three stop Undecided I do have Gerd and am on Lanzoprazole for that, I wonder if it could be the drugs, but doc says no Undecided

Its really getting scary now! I do intend to go back to the docs when they are open, but really could do with a bit of reasurance from anyone thats had the same symptoms.
Forgot to say Ive had thyroid bloods done and they were ok, also had a full blood count  Undecided
Thanks

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Re: Need some reasurance
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2013, 4:54am

I'm no doctor, but have been in this forum for some times, and I have/have had symptoms not excactly like yours but something like it.

How can the doctors "free" your heart when no palpitations happen when they take the ecg?
In my understanding it is because benign palps - as yours probably are - so to speak exist in "another level". They don't originate from a sick heart. If you had a heart disease, it would show on the ecg. Benign palps originate most often from outside the heart and affect via the vagus nerve the heart and make it beat when it shouldn't. But at the same time the old heart keeps beating it's basic rythm all the time and is not disturbed in any serious way AT ALL
"Our" doc in the group, RLR, has many times written that benign can manifest themselves in many different ways without that beeing any reason to worry.

It is most normal that "episodes" in the GI tract - i.e. eating Smiley and also digestion can trigger benign palps.
I have experience that late intake of too much food, alcohol, coffee might trigger palps at night. Most disturbing. But it never ever got any worse. And as you see, I'm still alive and writing Smiley

The "one-two-three-stop" thing I don't know about. But I guess it is just another way for palps to present themselves.

Anxiety can make your nervous system more prone to send off "wayward impulses" - not right away maybe but on the long run. For that reason it might not be so wise to check your pulse all the time. Cause that'll make you focus on you sensations all the time, which easily can be anxiety-provoking.

But do go back to your docs when they open, and meanwhile try not to focus on the small bastards ...

Have a nice weekend.

IP Logged
Jonp
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2013, 9:01am

Hi

I have similar symptoms, 1,2,3 miss a beat, 1,2,3 miss a beat, sometimes missing alternate beats.  It can last up to an hour with me.  I associate mine with swallowing too much air or eating too quickly, a good burp can help.  I am trying to calm my breathing which is helping.  

Apart from checking with your doctor, read the advice on this site, there are many others like us, all suffering palpitations and/or missing beats, usually associated with anxiety, stress, stomach problems and vagus nerve stimulation.  I hope this helps to reassure you.

IP Logged
Leesamarie
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

North Palm Beach, Florida
Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2013, 9:47am

I get the same pattern, beat beat beat .... BEAT. If I decide to get upset about it sometimes it ends being more often. And mine is always associated with trapped air, and when that air gets trapped high enough it could be every other beat until the air moves out. Then it stops.

Lisa Marie
  IP Logged
rebem86

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2013, 12:49pm

I have the same every third or fourth beat their is a pause and then its back to normal. When I let this bother and I am checking my pulse it will then cause the rate to sky rocket after the pause as I was afraid it wasn't going to start again. This then aggitates it more and you will notice skipped beats more frequently.

The only way to lessen the frequency as Dr. Rane will surely tell you is to don't let it bother you. Distract yourself, limit stimulants such as coffee or alcohol. And lastly, don't check your pulse. You can only tell you are alive by checking your pulse and if it wasn't beating you wouldn't be able to check it anyway. You have to believe the doctors when they tell you that you are healthy. The more you go looking for problems that don't exist the more "abnormalities" you will find.

I hope this helps! I've been where you are and am still working every day to feel normal. Everything takes time, learn to relax and even if you feel like you can't - fake it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print