Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Heart Palpitations caused by what question (Read 5302 times)
Drempel
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Netherlands
Heart Palpitations caused by what question
Apr 04th, 2013, 3:04am

Greetings,

I'm a 30 years old male from the Netherlands and "dealing" with heart palpitation for over 10 years now.
First they were small and barely noticeable. Within the last 2 years they became more noticeable to the point that I can’t ignore them because it feels like my heart won't proceed after a strong beat  (extrasystolen).

In my case there are mostly 5 situations that cause my heart palpitation.

1) Breathing in heavily at the end of every breath
2) Having a conversation with someone on the phone while walking
3) Talking to someone on the phone or at the office in person
4) Being "stressed" and walking fast
5) Lying on my left or right side in bed
I'm wondering if these triggers sound familiar and if it might have something todo with hyperventilating.
The frustrating part is, it doesn’t always happen like above. For example; I’m able to breath in deep right now without any palpitations.

Does this sound familiar?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Drempel from the Netherlands

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Re: Heart Palpitations caused by what question
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2013, 12:37pm

Yes, some of it sounds familiar.
Anyway, it's for sure a fact that palpitations have MANY triggers.

As to your specific triggers:

1: The lungs are - as is the heart - connected to the vagus nerve and I have read many persons experience relation between breathing and palpitations. By the way also in a "positive" manner, namely in order to STOP ongoing palps.

2: Don't know, but that situation might maybe make also influence on the breathing.

3: Could it be stress, connected to that phone?

4: Being stressed is a well known trigger. Walking fast shoud do the opposite.

5: Many people in this group complain about sleeping on the left side, which also causes my problems.

Generally speaking: Benign palpitations often behave very illogical, I have ever so often experienced that, and it's quite frustrating. You can't count on them. Just as you belive they come after drinking wine, they start coming af drinking beer or water og eating too much ...

Good luck.

IP Logged
Jonp
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2013, 4:33am

Very familiar to me.  I get palpitations and missing heartbeats from overbreathing playing sport, long animated conversations, lying on my side, eating too fast or too much and also from thinking too much about my breathing!  However, I am sure that slowing or reducing the breathing is the answer for me and I am working on it.  I understand that the hyperventilation causes me to swallow air which stimulates the vagus nerve which causes the heart problems.  I don't know why the vagus nerve becomes so "jumpy", probably stress/anxiety.

IP Logged
Drempel
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Netherlands
Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2013, 8:09am

Thank you both for replying on my question!

@Jonp: That sounds a lot like me! One moment I dont have any palpitation and suddenly they start. Mostly triggered by a small event such as a phone call or a simple conversation with a collegue. When the palpitations start, often more will follow that same day reminding me about them. After a good night sleep they often stay away for a couple of days just to popup once more. It indeed seems to help when I dont mind them to much and dont mind my breathing.

I got the feeling that having a conversation forces me to breathe through my mouth and therefore start hyperventilating without really knowing it. Only to be reminded by the palpitations a couple of seconds later. And sometimes I dont even talk when they happen.

« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2013, 9:28am by Drempel »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print