Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Are palpatations and AF the same thing? (Read 2977 times)
K9LOVE
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Are palpatations and AF the same thing?
Apr 04th, 2013, 11:49am

Im really confused now, been back to docs today to tell him about the last two weeks palps as he asked me to do, now he says it could be AF!

So are they the same thing? my blood pressure is up and down now too!!, I didnt really understand what the doc was saying, I have to have a holter test soon, so will that actually tell what is wrong?

And if it is AF is it dangerous?

Thanks.

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Re: Are palpatations and AF the same thing?
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2013, 12:29pm

I'm no doctor, but from what I know, is AF  a specific diagnosis - or rather four different ones according to which category it belongs to.
While palpitations is a much broader concept which might include AF but also ectopic beats and other sensations of the heart.

I would guess that a holter has a chance of catching whatever it is. That is, if you have a "bout" while wearing the monitor.

Blood pressure is always up and down!

Is AF dangerous? From what I have read and remembered Smiley certain categories/certain amounts of AF increases the risk of blod clots in the brain because a lot of AF might cause a "whipping" of the blood, causing clots. But I think you have to have a lot of these "runs" before it gets dangerous.

You must ask your doctor and persist until you understand!

Best of luck.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print