Send Topic Print
Leg Weakness (Read 13736 times)
rebem86

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Leg Weakness
Apr 05th, 2013, 7:43am

All,

This might be the wrong forum to bring this topic up in but this has been such a wonderful place I thought I would pose my question here. Especially since RLR is a retired Neurologist.

I finally feel like I have trumped my heart related anxiety. I saw the director of cardiology at a hospital near where I live. He reviewed all my past tests: EKGs, 7 Day Holter, Echo, Stress Test and even did another resting EKG. He then sat me down and assured me that my heart was fine and that I will live to be 99. I have to tell you it goes a long way when a doctor also caters to the mental anguish people go through when not knowing what is wrong with them. He then proceeded to tell me he wants to take me off my beta blocker and he is going to write to my former cardiologist. He told me he sees hearts like mine all the time and I have nothing to worry about. It was like a weight lifted from my shoulders.

But on to part two of my story. I have been seeing a psychologist since January to help with my Anxiety, which has been great. I am doing some great introspection and am learning a lot about myself.

However, know that I don't constantly feel like I am about to have a cardiac related event, I noticed my legs are really bothering me. I want to be able to chalk it up as another symptom of anxiety but I am starting to get nervous as it is starting to bother me.

I am experiencing tight calves and shins that twitch, pressure on top of the thighs right where it meets the waist, and lower back pain. I still have strength in my legs but they feel sluggish. Advil and stretching does not seem to help at the moment.

I don't know if being tense for 6 months with constant worry of dying has taken a toll on my back or I tweaked my back without realizing it, but it annoying and I don't want this to take a toll on my emotional health.

The twitching and electric like feeling in my legs and feet are distracting, my lower back feels really tight and hurts when I stretch it out. I've been doing some walking about 2 miles and that seems to help somewhat but I noticed I am not comfortable running as it seems like my legs are not all there.

For those of you who haven't seen my posts before I am a 27 year old male, 6 feet and about 225 pounds.

I have had tons of blood work done multiple CBCs, d-dimers, lyme disease, TSH with T3 T4, kidney function, liver function, gall bladder function. I've had vitamin d, b12, potassium, magnesium tests done. My vitamin d level is low (22 up from 16) and I don't know what to do next.

Do I schedule an appointment with a doctor? I've been dealing with the legs for a few months now, but they are seeming to bother me more and more as of late.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

IP Logged
ncmimi
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Re: Leg Weakness
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2013, 3:15pm

Rebem 86

I am  on this forum because of my palpitations, however I too have also been bothered by severe thigh pain, lower back pain, leg weakness and some hip joint pain.  Some days it was quite difficult to walk. After supplementing my vitamin D deficiency (22) for approx. 4 months the pain has improved greatly.  Still have some weakness in legs but that is also improving.  I think it just take time - let's be patient.

IP Logged
rebem86

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2013, 5:28am

:'(ncmimi wrote on Dec 31st, 1969, 4:00pm:
Rebem 86

I am  on this forum because of my palpitations, however I too have also been bothered by severe thigh pain, lower back pain, leg weakness and some hip joint pain.  Some days it was quite difficult to walk. After supplementing my vitamin D deficiency (22) for approx. 4 months the pain has improved greatly.  Still have some weakness in legs but that is also improving.  I think it just take time - let's be patient.

Thanks for the response. Do your legs ever feel heavy? How much vit d are you on?

IP Logged
Leesamarie
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

North Palm Beach, Florida
Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2013, 7:58am

I get that feeling in my legs, and also in my shoulders and the outer part of my upper arms. It sounds like severe muscle tension coupled with a major focus on that area of your body.

I believe there is a big difference between actual muscle weakness and perceived muscle weakness. You can walk 2 miles; if you had actual leg weakness this would likely not be possible.

When I feel like my legs are made of jello, I do a few sets of squats. This does 2 things: 1. It shows me that there is actually nothing wrong with my leg strength, and 2. It helps burn off the extra adrenaline and release the muscle tension.

I wouldn't trust the result of the magnesium test you have had, as a blood serum test is not a good indicator of magnesium levels since a very small amount is normally present in the blood. I would look at taking magnesium citrate powder (calm is a good one). Most people are deficient in magnesium, and stress burns through the levels you do have rather quickly. Look up Dr. Carolyn Dean and the Magnesium Miracle.

I don't know where you live, but sun exposure is the best way to get your Vit D levels up. Most people make the mistake of sitting in the sun, then jumping in the shower and soaping up. Vitamin D is actually created on the skin when cholesterol is exposed to the sun, and this must be given time to absorb into the skin. Chlorine impedes this process as well. I'm in Florida, but during the winter I supplement with 5000 IU's a day, and my kids take about 2000. The RDA for magnesium and Vit D are really low according to my holistic MD.

Lisa Marie
  IP Logged
ncmimi
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2013, 4:36pm

Rebem 86

I take 1800 IU of vitamin d daily.  Also my legs tire easily and feel "stiff". I guess you could say feel "heavy".  I have all confidence they will continue to improve, because of the dramatic improvement in the pain level.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print