Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Long term palps, terrifying new symptom (Read 24298 times)
Rachel
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Long term palps, terrifying new symptom
Jun 16th, 2013, 9:04am

Hi all, I'm new here, I've had heart palps for over 20 years now, I've learnt to deal with them, had tests ect nothing came up on all the times I've visited docs/ hosp, well over the past few weeks they have been quite bad but hey they keep telling me that they won't kill me, yesterday I was just helping hubby hold some wood while he was sawing it and all of a sudden my heart just refused to beat properly, just fluttering, no beats, then the world started to fade and I thought I was gonna die right there in front of my kids, I was so terrified, never been so scared in all my life, it kicked back in just as I was about to drop to the floor with 4 huge pounds and then back to normal, I'm hoping to find an answer here I guess, I'll be back at my docs tomorrow in the hope that he may be able to be sympathetic, the worry that this going to happen again and I might not get back up is sending me mad, any replies would be greatly appreciated :'( :'(

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Re: Long term palps, terrifying new symptom
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2013, 10:12am

Hi Rachel

Must have been a terrifying experience.
Of course you must see your doc and have the heart tested again.

That being said (and I'm NO doc ...) a couple of things spring to my mind:

How did you know that the heart stopped beating? Normally we don't feel/hear our hearts beating, and therefore it MIGHT be very difficult to judge wether it really stopped?

I have experienced myself - and have read from many others - that if your heart by a vagus-induced benign palpitation/extra systole is made to beat "out of order", then (some of) the heart chambers might be emptied of blood "out of time", and then the next ordinary beat which was supposed to just that, hasn't any blood to "work with", and thus we don't feel that beat. (Even though it's there.)
Often the NEXT beat then has quite a lot of blood to pump in or out and therefore might feel like a big thud and thus very scary.

This might explain it.

But of course: see the doc.

Good luck!

IP Logged
Rachel
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2013, 10:42am

Thankyou for your swift reply martinpetersen, I guess I don't know if it stopped beating but my heart just seemed to quiver or so it felt, I'm used to the normal benign type of palps where it feels like its skipped a beat and then hits back with a thud, I can have these for days, even weeks at a time and although unnerving and still a little scary after 20 yrs of them I, just as many others put up with them, this was so different and it still wighs heavy on my mind even though my heart has been fine today! It felt like it wasn't beating properly for maybe 5 to 6 beats and the come back beats were so hard and forceful, I've never experienced having 4 huge thuds before returning to normal, thanks for the good luck with the doc, I'll post when I get back tomorrow and let you know how I got on Smiley

IP Logged
ncmimi
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2013, 4:53pm

I too have had palpitations for 30+ years.  Over last several years developed seemly same change as you describe.  If the fluttering last too long I always feel as if I will faint.  Cardiologist had me wear event monitor for seven days.  It recorded what my cardio called SVT.  He did not seem to be too concerned about it even though I said they were very frightening. Hope this helps.

IP Logged
Rachel
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2013, 11:48pm

Thankyou ncmimi, yes that helps a little, I bin goin outta my mind with worry, I'm hoping to see the doc today who will hopefully refer me back to the hospital just to make sure I'm ok, I'm in the UK so this is a long process (NHS) thanks again, it gives me some comfort while I'm waiting x

IP Logged
Rachel
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2013, 5:45am

Hi all, I've been to the docs, he's put me on aspirin to prevent strokes, and told me to consider taking beta blockers, I don't mind taking the aspirin daily as I know people with heart palps are at a higher risk of strokes but the beta blockers I'm not sure, I don't have a fast heart rate and I'm sure that once started beta blockers are lifelong, any info that anyone has especially if these work would be much appreciated!!

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2013, 8:18am

"Our doc" in this forum (RLR) has several times written that betablockers do not have any effect what so ever on vagus induced palpitations. I think they reduce cardiac force or something. Try and do a search on beta blockers and find one of RLR's answers.

I once was on them and besides not helping (except for a minor placebo effect in the beginning) they actually created a lot of palps when I stopped taking them, and I think this is a recognized side effect with them that you can not just stop taking them from one day to another, but have to step down during weeks.

What reason did your doc give you for starting on b-blockers?

IP Logged
Rachel
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2013, 8:52am

Hi again martinpetersen, the reason the doc have was to reduce the amount of palps and possibly stop them altogether, he's given me time to think about it but to take aspirin in the meantime to keep my blood thin as my palps can be with me every second beat when they are bad, I had an ECG today which came out fine, typical my heart behaves impeccably as soon as I'm hooked up, the small everyday palps don't bother me it was that major one on Saturday, I'm still in panic mode about it now, I'll look into the beta blockers posts, thanks again Smiley

IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2013, 11:02am

I know people with heart palps are at a higher risk of strokes

And no one reacts on this remark?

Never ever have known this to be true..
who says this?
RLR sure didnt

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2013, 11:14am

I think it is atrial fibrillation that increases the stroke-risk.

http://www.stroke.org/site/PageServer?pagename=afib

IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2013, 11:26am

exactly. but NO palps.
at least. no one ever told me that

IP Logged
Rachel
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #11 - Jun 17th, 2013, 1:16pm

I'm just going by what my doc said, I don't think I have AF, my heartbeat is regular and steady most of the time, even when I have palps my heart is not racing or fast, he told me that if a heart beats inefficiently i.e when I had the huge flutter/quiver enough to make me almost pass out that I'd be at risk of a stroke and yes he's panicked me into thinking this could happen, we are supposed to trust professionals aren't we, right now I just don't know what to think or what to do regarding the beta blockers or the aspirin, right now I feel well but I know it can start again at any time and the thought that this may happen again and my mind telling me I may not get up next time is utterly terrifying   Sad

IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - Jun 17th, 2013, 9:07pm

hi Rachel

Than i quess you dont have vagus induced palps. but palps originating from the heart. Well at least that is what i presume cause my gp, RLR here and other docs i´ve spoken and written too never ever told me palps can and will do this.
So i just dont get it.
Or you have another disorder making you more prone to a stroke.

On the other hand, it wouldnt be thefirst time that doctors disagree with each other. I ve learned that there is no black and white, and your palps and my palps and those from another person here are none of the same although it seems so. and most docs tells us they are harmless. It all depends where they come from , why, what triggers them and what your constitution is from the beginning. one gets palps from sugar, one from spicy or fat food,  one from E 621, one from trapped gass, one from blokkage neck , one from anxiety and so on. The only problem from this great side that too much emphasize was put on anxiety alone. And i´m 1000% sure that anxiety alone is almost never the culprid for and in alot of people although it absolutely has a role in the whole process. ( but again , everyone thinks differently  as the doctors themselves do)

I can only advise you to ask your doc why he said this to you. and let him explain more. Cause normally palps in a healthy heart wouldnt be much of a problem

IP Logged
Rachel
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #13 - Jun 18th, 2013, 1:35am

If I totally honest, I don't like my doc, he always seems in a rush and kinda can't be bothered, I asked him if he could refer me to the hospital again and he said we will see how you are in 3 months!! If I had a true heart problem then I could be dead in 3 months, I'm in the UK so it's the NHS, it's all down to funding ect, I've made the decision not to take any of the drugs on offer for now, I have no other health problems and at present take no medicines, as soon as I get another run of bad palps I'm just going to take myself to the ER and let them deal with it

IP Logged
sto12

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #14 - Jun 18th, 2013, 6:44pm

I'm as perplexed as Richie because I was also of the belief that benign palpitations do not increase the risk of having a stroke. That is after all what benign means. All of the posts that I have read of RLR's have suggested this. Also, my own doctor has told me the same. I think palpitations can be dangerous to certain groups of people but only if the heart is not structurally sound. You might need to ask your doctor to explain to you why other medical experts would not agree that your stroke risk is increased. Especially as you don't appear to have a history of heart disease.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print