Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exercise and skipped beats (Read 25304 times)
Stu M

Keep Smiling :0)

Northants - UK
Exercise and skipped beats
Feb 07th, 2007, 6:02am

Hi to everyone on this forum  Smiley

I have a question to ask which has been bothering me for a couple of years now.

I have had skipped beats for about 5 years now, and on off anxiety for about 25 Sad

The skipped beats have been a real problem for me lately as Im sure you will all empathise with, but I have coped with them recently as I have been having hypnotherapy counseling sessions, and Ive read a lot of information which helps me day to day not to panic too much when one hits.

Anyway to the question, I get skipped beats a lot whilst I exercise, and by that I mean, while im running about, lifting things etc, not afterwards which I know is common.  I am fairly unfit, I know that, and some of it is because I am frightened to exercise often because of the skipped beats whilst Im doing anything physical.  Vicious circle  Sad

My doctor says 'Go Exercise' as it will help, but ive also heard palpitations whilst exercising can be an indicator for health issues????

Am I in danger?  Can I exercise through these skipped beats and in the future they will reduce or even better go away?  Should i get some sort of exercice cardiac test?

This really bothers me as it triggers my 'oh no im having a heart attack' response as my mind says, physical exercise + skipped beats = last legs

Can anyone guide me in the right direction? Should I not worry and go exercise often, or should I get further intensive tests?

Thanks

Stu

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Exercise and skipped beats
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2007, 7:41am

Hi Stu,

Benign palpitations are actually just as common during periods of rest as they are during exertion. Many patients claim that they can sense palpitations more at rest and this is likely due to the lack of movement that accentuates detection.

For clarification, "arrhythmias" experienced during exercise are of concern in that they indicate difficulty by the heart subsequent to increased demand. The presence of benign palpitations, however, are of no greater concern during periods of exertion as they are during rest.

Generally, depending upon your age and family risk factors, it's wise to undergo a treadmill or chemical stress test beyond age 40 to determine a baseline. This is usually accompanied by an echocardiogram to determine how structurally sound the heart is and how its components are functioning in real time from a general standpoint. A 12-lead ECG is usually standard as well to look at the electoconductive architecture.  

As for worrying about the onset of a "heart attack," try not to let your predisposed notions of symptoms be associated with actual symptomatology where this is concerned. From a general standpoint during the onset of actual cardiac insufficiency, you'll not be contemplating "oh no im having a heart attack" but rather be suffering the actual gripping effects of a cardiac event, which are far more of an impact than you might realize. Remember that in the instance of underlying cardiopathology, arrythmias are a consequence of the disease, whereas benign palpitations are merely a superimposition of electrical activity by the Vagus nerve upon the normal sinus rhythm of the heart and are considered extra-cardial as they originate outside the cardiac corridor.  

To set you on the proper course, I recommend that you establish an appointment through your primary care physician with a cardiologist to undergo a stress test and echocardiogram, together with having your primary care physician draw labs for cholesterol differentials, CRP and general health panel. This will establish whether you're at risk for cardio-vascular disease and will also put your mind to rest about your relative state of health. Many patients institute self-guided restrictions because of what they "fear" rather than what they actually know as fact about their healthcare status.

You're going to be just fine. My suspicion is that you're dealing with benign palpitations associated with anxiety and the reason is that if you've been suffering with palpitations for roughly 5 years, true disease would have always elevated to more severe signs and symptoms by this time. It's a progressive disease process, not one that spontaneously recedes in the absence of treatment. It's always important to rule out your personal concerns, then establish grounds for treating the underlying problem, in this case anxiety disorder would be a likely candidate.

Best regards and Good Health  

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Stu M

Northants - UK
Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2007, 8:19am

Hi RLR,

Thanks for the quick response,

That has re-assured me somewhat to what is going on.

I am not quite 40 yet, but have been trying to find somewhere in the UK that will give me the execrise/stress tests I need to put my mind at rest.  

My doctor wont as Im not in a high risk bracket and not old enough!!  He is also convinced its ALL anxiety, so he is understandably not forthcoming with sending me for tests he feels I dont need.  If anyone knows where I can get some tests done in the UK private please let me know.

Just so you know, I have had a few baseline resting ECG tests over the years (all normal), blood tests (all normal, apart from slightly raised cholesterol and some liver functions), thyroid test (normal) and diabetes test (normal).

So ive had a few test in my time, but not the exercise/stress test which is why I think I panic when it happens, reasurance is a big thing for me.

Having said all this, I understand your points, and it has made me feel more at ease, your point about heart attacks makes perfect sense, if your having one you you wont have time to contemplate if you are or not, that rings true and helps.

I will continue to exercise, and will try and do more, and sod these annoying pests. I will also try and get the exercise test to put my mind at rest, and try and get on with my life.

Many Thanks

Stu

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2007, 12:05pm

okay, with the additional information provided, I'm more convinced that your symptoms are the consequence of anxiety disorder.

At 37, it's okay to contemplate a stress test for peace of mind, but I can almost guarantee you that the results will be negative for heart disease. You've had no previous markers that would indicate familial heart disease, which is what would have to be present for you to be experiencing symptoms at such an early age.

Try your best to relax and change your focus. If it's any comfort, and as I've stated many times on this forum, in all my years of practice I've never even heard of a single individual experiencing a cardiac event as a result of benign palpitations. You'll be fine.

IP Logged
cazza

I Love YaBB 2!

england
Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2007, 3:31am

Hi Stu
Carol here as well Grin
Just remembered years ago before i started having these regular missed beats  i was working out at the gym and just as i was finishing an areobic class my heart went into an irregular rythum and then just raced up to over 200 beats  a min felt really ill went gray and they called an ambulance!
By the time i got to e r  it was down but i was shaky and white as  a ghost.  Hooked me up to a ecg for a while said everything was fine and just one of those things!   But i remember it really made me nervous for ages after that to do any exercise and constantly was noticing what my heart was doing but gradually ignored it.    here i am years later with missed beats every day and i go on my treadmill every day for 30 mins and get my heart up to about 160    the cardiologist said exercise in the long run will help  so dont give up
carol x

IP Logged
Stu M

Northants - UK
Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2007, 5:38am

Thanks for the responses,

I guess I know exercise is good thing, and I will continue with enthusiasm  Grin  And try to ignore these skipped beats, even if they are so uncomfortable.

I am learning slowly to try and ignore them, but its difficult whilst your exercising in my opinion, but hey If exercise may make them better, Im going all out to see if it works.

Thanks again.

Stu

Just one more thing if anybody knows where I can go private for exercise/stress heart tests in the uk, preferable in the midlands, Im based in Nothamptonshire I would be vary grateful. PM me if you like, Thnx Stu.

IP Logged
saab

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2007, 8:03am

Hi Stu

Funnily enough, I 'phoned Bupa earlier to enquire about having an ecg. Cost would be about £30+ for a "resting ecg" as part of an appointment with one of their GP's. (I have recently been able to feel my ectopic beats in my chest instead of just in my puilse and this is worrying me a bit). This would be at a local Bupa hospital. I am sure if you rang them they could tell you the cost of other tests. I phoned 0845 6060317. I will probably try to speak to my GP about my new sensations first, although I haven't had any so far this week.  

Of course, I've had ecg's before and been told I was fine, but the last one I had was 2 years ago and I had to wait about 6 weeks. Just needing a bit of speedy reassurance at the moment, I guess. I hope this helps.

IP Logged
Stu M

Northants - UK
Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2007, 12:44am

Thanks for the info saab, I have spoken to them before, but will give them another call.

Cheers

Stu

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2007, 2:56am

Hi

I've just read that a arrhythmia is where your heart skips of has an extra beat, well I get those sometimes if I over excert myself, so is that something I should get checked out, because if I exercise I obviously get my heart pounding, but occasionally my heart skips beats.  So is the arrhymia the same thing as the vagus nerve being stimulated and then getting a extra or missed beat or is it something completely different.

Just a bit confused!  Undecided

Thanks

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #9 - Feb 9th, 2007, 2:33pm

okay, getting ahead of yourself again. Arrhythmias "produced" by exertion on the heart are an indicator of failure in one regard or another of cardiac sufficiency. Benign palpitations that occur during exercise are in no way associated with the former.

you're fine.

IP Logged
Stu M

Northants - UK
Reply #10 - Feb 13th, 2007, 6:43am

RLR wrote on Feb 9th, 2007, 2:33pm:
Arrhythmias "produced" by exertion on the heart are an indicator of failure in one regard or another of cardiac sufficiency. Benign palpitations that occur during exercise are in no way associated with the former.

Hi RLR,

With response to your answer to kathryn, how do we know the difference between the two?

Thanks

Stu

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #11 - Feb 13th, 2007, 8:11am

Dangerous arrhythmias during exertion do not arise in isolation from other symptoms. Simply because you experience benign palpitations in the presence of exercise, does not place the experience in the realm of not knowing whether it's of a harmless or potentially harmful variety. As I've explained previously, the requisites for true cardiovascular disease arise over a period of years and upon diagnostic testing, the characteristic evidence is quite remarkable. These patterns do not escape detection and do not arise with any type of serendipity whatsoever. It's analagous to making an oranges and apples comparison.

The other point that you have to realize is specifically what is taking place when arrhythmias occur during exertion. It is actually causing electroconductive failure and subsequently, other symptoms materialize as well.

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #12 - Feb 13th, 2007, 2:15pm

Hi

Just a quick question really one I have been wondering (not worrying) about for a while, Is a Cardiac Arrest the same as a Heart Attack? As my Aunt when in hospital last year had one they thumped her chest and it started beating again, and a older friend of mines hubby had a tripple heart bypass last year and he had one after his op and she said it was different to a heart attack.  So is this true and if so whats the difference? Just curious  Cheesy

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #13 - Feb 13th, 2007, 3:17pm

Cardiac arrest is more essentially "asystole" which means the heart has stopped beating. A "heart attack" by comparison is a more broad term that can encompass many factors which lead to heart damage of an acute nature, hence the term "attack." While cardiac arrest can at times be associated with a heart attack in terms of consequence, it is merely a physiological state.

The best part of this analogy is that you in particular, don't have to worry about either prospect because you have a healthy heart.

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #14 - Feb 13th, 2007, 10:44pm

Thanks RLR

When I occasionally watched hospital programmes e.g E.R or something the'd use both and I thought they were the same, so use to get confused! Thank you.

Woke feeling a bit panicky and like I can not breathe properly, but hopefully that will subside as the day goes on.

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print